Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DISNEY ACQUIRES RADICAL’S OBLIVION
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:20 am 
Daniel Pickett

August 5th, 2010, Los Angeles, CA – Radical Publishing is proud to announce that Disney has acquired the film adaptation of OBLIVION, based on Radical Publishing’s illustrated novel created by Tron: Legacy director, Joseph Kosinski, written by Rex Mundi creator, Arvid Nelson, and with illustrations by Andrée Wallin. OBLIVION will be directed by Joseph Kosinki and will be produced by Radical’s President and Publisher, Barry Levine, and Kosinski. Radical Studios’ Executive Vice President Jesse Berger is signed on as Executive Producer. Kosinki is repped by Verve and Anonymous Content while Radical is repped by CAA and David Schiff.

In a future where the Earth’s surface has been irradiated beyond recognition, the remnants of humanity live above the clouds, safe from the brutal alien Scavengers that stalk the ruins. But when surface drone repairman Jak discovers a mysterious woman in a crash-landed pod, it sets off an unstoppable chain of events that will force him to question everything he knows.

“We’re thrilled to partner with Joe Kosinski on OBLIVION,” said Barry Levine, president of Radical Pictures. “Joe is one of the most creative forces in filmmaking today. From the moment he teamed with Radical to produce the book and film, he had such a clear vision of the OBLIVION landscape and universe. Add to that Joe’s successful partnership with Disney on Tron: Legacy, and you have all the ingredients for a phenomenal action/adventure film.”

OBLIVION, the 128-page illustrated novel, will be released in Summer 2011 and will feature prose, combined with over 40 fully painted landscape renderings. OBLIVION will be distributed worldwide through Random House.

Fans are encouraged to visit the Radical Publishing websites http://www.radicalpublishing.com, http://www.facebook.com/radicalpublishing and http://www.twitter.com/radicalcomics for more information.

About Radical Publishing

Radical Publishing is founded by Barry Levine (producer for Hercules, Caliber, Freedom Formula, Shrapnel, Abattoir, Oblivion, The Last Days of American Crime, Legends, Damaged, Earp: Saints for Sinners and executive producer for the in-development Rex Mundi movie for Warner Bros., written by Jim Uhls and starring Johnny Depp) and entrepreneur Jesse Berger (executive producer for Hercules, Caliber, Freedom Formula, Shrapnel, Abattoir, Oblivion, The Last Days of American Crime, Legends, Damaged and Earp: Saints for Sinners).

For their quality and excellence in 2008, Radical Publishing was granted the Gem Award for “Best New Publisher of the Year” from Diamond Comic Distributors. Radical brings the best writing, storytelling, and fully painted cover and interior art to the global comic book market, from prominent international talents such as Yoshitaka Amano, Keith Arem, Rain Beredo, Marc Bernardin, John Bolton, Darren Lynn Bousman, Ron L. Brinkerhoff, Bing Cansino, Matt Cirulnick, Tomm Coker, Clayton Crain, Lorenzo di Bonaventura, Flint Dille, Marko Djurdjevic, Ian Edginton, Warren Ellis, James Farr, Adam Freeman, E. Max Frye, Antoine Fuqua, Justin Gray, Paul Gulacy, David Hine, Taka Ichise, Joseph Kosinski, Clint Langley, Adam Lawson, David Lapham, Richard Lee, Rob Levin, David Liss, Alex Maleev, Leonardo Manco, David Manpearl, Stephan Martinière, Francesco "Matt" Mattina, Peter Milligan, Steve Moore, Arvid Nelson, Wayne Nichols, Steve Niles, Jimmy Palmiotti, Nick Percival, Troy Peteri, Vincent Proce, Steve Pugh, Patrick Reilly, Rick Remender, Terry Rossio, Luis Royo, Nick Sagan, Kirsi Salonen, Sam Sarkar, Stjepan Sejic, M. Zachary Sherman, Bill Sienkiewicz, Wesley Snipes, Jim Steranko, Arthur Suydam, Patrick Tatopoulos, J.P. Targete, Greg Tocchini, Andree Wallin, Rich Wilkes, Dave Wilkins, Concept Art House, Haberlin Studios, Meduzarts Digital Environment Studio, Weta Workshop, Zombie Studios, and many more.

Currently, Radical Publishing has production deals with Spyglass Entertainment and Peter Berg’s Film 44 for Hercules, with Johnny Depp's Infinitum Nihil for Caliber, New Regency and Bryan Singer’s Bad Hat Harry Productions for Freedom Formula, Ron Howard and Brian Grazer’s Imagine Entertainment for Legends, Dreamworks, Sam Raimi’s Star Road Entertainment and Mandeville Films for Earp: Saints for Sinners as well as Walt Disney Pictures for Oblivion

Post subject: Re: DISNEY ACQUIRES RADICAL’S OBLIVION
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:23 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Kurylenko and Riseborough Join Kosinski's Next

by SuperHeroHype

January 19, 2012

Tom Cruise long since set to headline, Joseph Kosinksi's next project has now cast both of its female leads. Olga Kurylenko and Andrea Riseborough have been cast in the roles of Vika and Julia, respectively. One of them replaces the previously attached Jessica Chastain, though it was never determined which character she'd be playing.

Based on Kosinski's own Radical Publishing comic book series, the film takes place in a future where humanity has fallen to an irradiated Earth. Cruise plays Jak, a maintenance drone working on the planet's surface alongside another worker, Vika. When a woman, Julia, is discovered in a crashed ship, Jak's whole world is thrown into question and he finds himself strangely drawn towards Julia.

Kurylenko has starred in films like Quantum of Solace and Hitman. She'll soon appear in Terrence Malick's still-untitled next project (opposite Chastain) as well as in Martin McDonagh's Seven Psychopaths. Riseborough, meanwhile, is best known for Happy-Go-Lucky, Never Let Me Go and, most recently, Madonna's W.E..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:31 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Morgan Freeman to Join Tom Cruise in Joseph Kosinski's Sci-Fi Film

by SuperHeroHype

February 09, 2012

Morgan Freeman is joining the Joseph Kosinski-directed film that has gone by both the titles "Oblivion" (which is what the comic is called) and "Horizons." He'll be joining Tom Cruise, Andrea Riseborough and Olga Kurylenko in the Universal release.

The film is based on Kosinski's own Radical Publishing comic book series, which is described as follows: In a future where the Earth's surface has been irradiated beyond recognition, the remnants of humanity live above the clouds, safe from the brutal alien Scavengers that stalk the ruins. But when surface drone repairman Jak discovers a mysterious woman in a crash-landed pod, it sets off an unstoppable chain of events that will force him to question everything he knows.

Michael Arndt is rewriting a script by William Monahan and Karl Gajdusek. The movie is scheduled for a July 19, 2013 release.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:30 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau Heads to Oblivion

by SuperHeroHype

February 13, 2012

Tom Cruise long since set to headline, Joseph Kosinksi's (TRON Legacy) next project is rounding out its cast. Apparently back to the title Oblivion (it has also been called Horizons), the project has just added "Game of Thrones" star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.

Based on Kosinski's own Radical Publishing comic book series, the film takes place in a future where humanity has fallen to an irradiated Earth. Cruise plays Jak, a maintenance drone working on the planet's surface alongside another worker, Vika (Olga Kurylenko). When a woman, Julia (Andrea Riseborough), is discovered in a crashed ship, Jak's whole world is thrown into question and he finds himself strangely drawn towards Julia.

Coster-Waldau is said to be playing a military expert named Sykes.

The news comes on the heels of this weekend's announcement that Morgan Freeman will star as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:52 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Melissa Leo Heads to Oblivion

by SuperHeroHype

March 23, 2012

Melissa Leo has joined Tom Cruise in Joseph Kosinksi's (TRON: Legacy) next project, Oblivion. Deadline has the news, saying that she'll appear opposite Andrea Riseborough, Olga Kurylenko, Morgan Freeman and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.

Based on Kosinski's own Radical Publishing comic book series, the film takes place in a future where humanity has fallen to an irradiated Earth. Cruise plays Jak, a maintenance drone working on the planet's surface alongside another worker, Vika (Olga Kurylenko). When a woman, Julia (Andrea Riseborough), is discovered in a crashed ship, Jak's whole world is thrown into question and he finds himself strangely drawn towards Julia.

After winning an Academy Award for her performance in The Fighter, Leo appeared in Kevin Smith's Red State, in Todd Hayne's Mildred Pierce and as a regular on the HBO series, "Treme".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:02 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Tom Cruise Spotted on the Set of Oblivion

by SuperHeroHype

June 12, 2012

TRON: Legacy director Joseph Kosinski is currently filming his new sci-fi film Oblivion in New York and we've got some new photos of Tom Cruise on the set. Cruise filmed a scene at the foot of the Empire State Building today with Olga Kurylenko and you can check out pics by clicking here.

Scheduled to hit theaters on April 26, 2013, the film is based on Kosinski's own Radical Publishing comic book series. In a future where the Earth's surface has been irradiated beyond recognition, the remnants of humanity live above the clouds, safe from the brutal alien Scavengers that stalk the ruins. But when surface drone repairman Jak discovers a mysterious woman in a crash-landed pod, it sets off an unstoppable chain of events that will force him to question everything he knows.

Andrea Riseborough, Morgan Freeman, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Melissa Leo also star.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:25 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

M83 to Score Oblivion

by SuperHeroHype

June 28, 2012

Now in production, Joseph Kosinski's Oblivion marks the director's follow-up project from 2010's TRON: Legacy and, today, The Playlist has revealed that French electropop group M83 will follow in the footsteps of that film's popular Daft Punk soundtrack, scoring Oblivion in its entirety.

Scheduled to hit theaters on April 26, 2013, Oblivion is based on Kosinski's own Radical Publishing comic book series. In a future where the Earth's surface has been irradiated beyond recognition, the remnants of humanity live above the clouds, safe from the brutal alien Scavengers that stalk the ruins. But when surface drone repairman Jak (Tom Cruise) discovers a mysterious woman in a crash-landed pod, it sets off an unstoppable chain of events that will force him to question everything he knows.

Andrea Riseborough, Morgan Freeman, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Melissa Leo also star.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:14 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The First Poster for Oblivion Revealed

by SuperHeroHype

December 07, 2012

The first poster for the Tom Cruise-starrer Oblivion is now online (via IGN). You can check it out below and be sure to come back on Sunday when the official trailer is released!

Tom Cruise stars with Olga Kurylenko, Andrea Riseborough, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, and Melissa Leo. The film is based on the Radical press graphic novel by Joseph Kosinski and Arvid Nelson. Kosinski directed the film with a screenplay by William Monahan, Karl Gajdusek, and Michael Arndt.

Oblivion is described as "an original and groundbreaking cinematic event from the director of TRON: Legacy and the producer of Rise of the Planet of the Apes. On a spectacular future Earth that has evolved beyond recognition, one man’s confrontation with the past will lead him on a journey of redemption and discovery as he battles to save mankind.

Jack Harper (Cruise) is one of the last few drone repairmen stationed on Earth. Part of a massive operation to extract vital resources after decades of war with a terrifying threat known as the Scavs, Jack’s mission is nearly complete.

Living in and patrolling the breathtaking skies from thousands of feet above, his soaring existence is brought crashing down when he rescues a beautiful stranger from a downed spacecraft. Her arrival triggers a chain of events that forces him to question everything he knows and puts the fate of humanity in his hands."

The film will be released exclusively on IMAX on April 12 and will go wide on April 19.

Click on the poster for a bigger version!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:11 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Trailer for Oblivion is Here!

by SuperHeroHype

December 08, 2012

Universal Pictures has brought online the trailer for director Joseph Kosinski's Oblivion and you can watch it below! Hitting IMAX theaters on April 12 and conventional theaters on April 19, the film stars Tom Cruise, Olga Kurylenko, Andrea Riseborough, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Melissa Leo.

In Oblivion, on a spectacular future Earth that has evolved beyond recognition, one man's confrontation with the past will lead him on a journey of redemption and discovery as he battles to save mankind.

Jack Harper (Cruise) is one of the last few drone repairmen stationed on Earth. Part of a massive operation to extract vital resources after decades of war with a terrifying threat known as the Scavs, Jack's mission is nearly complete.

Living in and patrolling the breathtaking skies from thousands of feet above, his soaring existence is brought crashing down when he rescues a beautiful stranger from a downed spacecraft. Her arrival triggers a chain of events that forces him to question everything he knows and puts the fate of humanity in his hands.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:19 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Oblivion Director Says Film is Like Omega Man

by SuperHeroHype

December 14, 2012

The trailer for Joseph Kosinski's Oblivion came online this week and the director has spoken with MTV about the film and it will more than likely pique your interest.

"I started writing this small character-driven science fiction story that was in the vein of those science fiction films of the 1970s that involved this lone survivor among the ruins of civilization, like 'Omega Man' or 'Silent Running' — it was kind of in that vein. I thought if it was going to be my first movie it would have to be something very small and contained in order to even get a chance at pulling it off. So it's the story of a drill repair man, Jack Harper, who is one of the last human beings left on earth after a massive war, which was the result of an alien invasion. Even though humankind won the war, Earth was left in such a state that we had to look for another place to settle, and Jack is left behind to monitor and secure the resource gathering operation that's happening where we're gathering the last bit of energy out of the earth's seawater in order to move onto the next step."

He also spoke about the graphic novel that the film is based on.

"That was the original treatment, the story. At the time I was ready to turn it into a screenplay, WGA went on strike and we couldn't actually hire a screenwriter to work on a screenplay at that point. So in order to keep the process moving forward I teamed up with Radical Comics to develop and illustrate a novel in parallel based on this story. And we did that over a couple years, and then I got pulled into 'Tron,' which was a couple years, and as 'Tron' was in post [production] I had enough between the story and the illustrations I had done with Andre, the artist, I had enough of a package to go out and set the project up at a studio which is what I did. And then I went into feature mode so, we never actually finished the graphic novel because once it got picked up I realized that the way I wanted this story to be experienced was on the big screen and not out of the book."

And how did he get Tom Cruise to sign on for the film?

"It was our final Comic-Con for 'Tron,' and while I was showing the big Comic-Con trailer and we were doing our big song and dance for 'Tron: Legacy,' I was also launching an ashcan for 'Oblivion'—which was just kind of like an introductory chapter with eight images at the Radical [Comics] booth. And the day after I got back from Comic-Con, I got a call from Tom's agent saying that Tom had seen the ashcan and wanted to meet me and talk to me about it. I went over and met him at his hanger and I pitched him the full story 'cause he had just read that introductory beat—there wasn't a script at that point it was a story in my head. And I pitched him the whole story over about two hours and at the end of the meeting he said, 'Let's do this. I want to do this. I want to do this movie with you.' ... The role fits him like a glove. I just can't imagine anyone else playing this character."

Hitting IMAX theaters on April 12 and conventional theaters on April 19, the film stars Tom Cruise, Olga Kurylenko, Andrea Riseborough, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Melissa Leo.

In Oblivion, on a spectacular future Earth that has evolved beyond recognition, one man's confrontation with the past will lead him on a journey of redemption and discovery as he battles to save mankind.

Jack Harper (Cruise) is one of the last few drone repairmen stationed on Earth. Part of a massive operation to extract vital resources after decades of war with a terrifying threat known as the Scavs, Jack's mission is nearly complete.

Living in and patrolling the breathtaking skies from thousands of feet above, his soaring existence is brought crashing down when he rescues a beautiful stranger from a downed spacecraft. Her arrival triggers a chain of events that forces him to question everything he knows and puts the fate of humanity in his hands.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:24 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Watch M83's Drum Battle for the Score of Oblivion

by SuperHeroHype

January 12, 2013

Just like he did with picking music duo Daft Punk to do the score for TRON: Legacy, director Joseph Kosinski has chosen another great band, M83, to do the music for his next film, Oblivion. M83 has been keeping their fans updated and they just posted this clip of a "Drum Battle" recording for an action scene in the Tom Cruise-starrer.

Opening in IMAX theaters first on April 12 before hitting conventional theaters on April 19, the Universal Pictures release co-stars Morgan Freeman, Olga Kurylenko, Andrea Riseborough, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Melissa Leo.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:54 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Oblivion Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Details Revealed

by SuperHeroHype

June 04, 2013

Universal Studios has revealed all the details for the Blu-ray, DVD, and digital release of Oblivion. Check out the full press release below.

On a desolate, nearly ruined future Earth, Tom Cruise (Mission Impossible Franchise) and Academy Award® winner Morgan Freeman (The Dark Knight Rises, Wanted) star in the ground-breaking cinematic event Oblivion, a visually stunning, post-Apocalyptic thriller. A glimpse of a perilous future from visionary filmmaker Joseph Kosinski (TRON: Legacy) and the producers of Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Oblivion is "unlike anything you've ever seen" (Moviefanatic's Joel Amos), as one man confronts his mysterious past in a journey of redemption and discovery.

Based on Kosinski's acclaimed graphic novel, the film also stars Olga Kurylenko (Quantum of Solace, Seven Psychopaths), Andrea Riseborough (W.E., Happy-Go-Lucky), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Mama, "Game of Thrones") and Oscar®-winner Melissa Leo (The Fighter, Frozen River). Oblivion will be available on Digital July 23, 2013 as well as Blu-ray™ Combo Pack with DVD, Digital including UltraViolet™, and On Demand on August 6, 2013, from Universal Studios Home Entertainment.

It is 2077 and Earth has been decimated. Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) is a drone repairman on the evacuated planet, working with his partner Vika (Andrea Riseborough) to salvage vital resources. As their assignment approaches its final days, Jack rescues a beautiful stranger (Olga Kurylenko) from a downed spacecraft, triggering a chain of events that forces him to question everything he thought he knew and leaves humanity's fate in his hand. Intense, spectacular, and exciting (Scott Mantz, Access Hollywood), Oblivion combines a taut and original story with mind-bending special effects for an epic adventure that shouldn't be missed.

The Blu-ray™ Combo Pack allows fans to view Oblivion anytime, anywhere on the platform of their choice. It includes a Blu-ray™ disc, a DVD, and Digital including UltraViolet™ for the ultimate, complete viewing experience.

Blu-ray™ disc unleashes the power of your HDTV and is the best way to watch movies at home, featuring perfect hi-def picture and hi-def sound.
DVD offers the flexibility and convenience of playing movies in more places, both at home and away.
UltraViolet™ is a revolutionary new way for fans to collect their movies and TV shows in the cloud. UltraViolet™ lets consumers instantly stream and download to tablets, smartphones, computers and TVs, including iPad®, iPhone®, Android™ and more.
Also includes Digital Copy.

Bonus Features on Blu-rayTM and DVD:

Feature Commentary with Tom Cruise and director Joseph Kosinski
Deleted Scenes
Promise of a New World: The Making of Oblivion—A comprehensive and thought-provoking multi-part feature covering the making of Oblivion, including:
Destiny – Looks inside the conceptualization, development and pre-production of Oblivion and the planning that went into the Herculean task of shooting the epic film.
Voyage – Follows the creation of the amazing Bubble Ship from its early design conception to its journey around the world. (Blu-ray™ exclusive)
Combat – Explores the film's ground-breaking action and death-defying stunts, all performed by one of the most popular movie stars in the world. (Blu-ray™ exclusive)
Illusion – Focuses on the film's post-production and dazzling visual effects.
Harmony – Delves into the innovative musical world of M83.
M83 Isolated Score—Watch the entire film accompanied by the evocative music track.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:55 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Comic-Con Meets Oblivion in a New Piece of Exclusive Art

by SuperHeroHype

July 15, 2013

The Joseph Koskinski sci-fi film set for release on DVD and Blu-ray August 6, Universal Pictures' Oblivion has revealed a special piece of Comic-Con inspired artwork that features the San Diego Convention Center in ruins. Designed by Andree Wallin, the film's concept illustrator, you can check out the image below.

Specially commissioned for this year’s convention, the image will be available as limited edition tote bags and handed out daily at the Geek magazine booth (#4014) with a special code word available via Geek magazine’s Twitter account.

In the film, it is the year 2077 and Earth has been decimated. Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) is a drone repairman on the evacuated planet, working with his partner Vika (Andrea Riseborough) to salvage vital resources. As their assignment approaches its final days, Jack rescues a beautiful stranger (Olga Kurylenko) from a downed spacecraft, triggering a chain of events that forces him to question everything he thought he knew and leaves humanity's fate in his hand.

Click on the image below for a larger version: