Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Help to you all for volcana!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:39 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

There's nothing wrong with making an offer to end an auction early. As a seller you have a right to end an auction early, there's even a few reasons you can give via E-bay's questionnaire. Sometimes there is a fee, sometimes there isn't.

Business is business and if I had an auction and someone PMed me an offer that was too good to turn away, that auction would be ended.

I've made offers like that for things... sometimes it works... other times they say no and then I bid.

The only reason having someone run a price up is wrong is because it violates one of E-bay's user agreements.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:40 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

The only reason to get mad about this stuff is if you were actually bidding on the item in question. It's very uncommon to get something at a steal like this as all it takes is 2 people to drive the price up. Whether 10 people watch it or 100 the final price is usually about the same in my experience.

I guess I would get annoyed too if I was bidding on stuff and people kept posting about it but to be honest I'm not sure it really drives the price up too much.

Personally, I think these posts do NOT belong in the Mattel forum though but it doesn't really bother me that they are.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:20 pm 
my tummy itches

I am sorry for the last TIME!!! It was a mistake and I really didn't think this through. Next time I'll just PM. All bombings shall end please. It's a little depressing. You will not find one of these in the Mattel thread again from me. Cheers - kalibak

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:30 pm 
Collector Inspector

And another thing, young man...!

Oh, the bombing has stopped? Awesome. Let's all go back to riding that high about Dr. Destiny, Toyman, Future Static Shock etc. being released. I'm STILL stoked about the news :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:48 pm 
Aspires to be #1

I did actually contact the seller to see what they were hoping to get from the pack and I made an offer that was too low so I let it go and I wish them the best. I don't see anything wrong with that and in fact that's exactly how I got the Power Ring wave of singles about 5 months before anyone else did and almost 2 months before Mattel even announced them. And that's a wave that I never saw in stores so I'm glad I did it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:51 pm 

j1h15233 wrote:
I did actually contact the seller to see what they were hoping to get from the pack and I made an offer that was too low so I let it go and I wish them the best. I don't see anything wrong with that and in fact that's exactly how I got the Power Ring wave of singles about 5 months before anyone else did and almost 2 months before Mattel even announced them. And that's a wave that I never saw in stores so I'm glad I did it.

Just another way to play the game...

-Van Statten Likes this Post-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:33 pm 
my tummy itches

Young man??????? Also notice how much emotion we embrace in this line. People get so offensive.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:52 pm 
Collector Inspector

Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:
people get so offensive.

could be worse. We could be arguing about sports :p

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:04 pm 
Brand Manager

Van Statten wrote:
There's nothing wrong with making an offer to end an auction early.

Could have sworn I wrote that there was nothing wrong with that. I might've even highlighted that point. Who knows... It was a long time ago.

Van Statten wrote:
As a seller you have a right to end an auction early, there's even a few reasons you can give via E-bay's questionnaire. Sometimes there is a fee, sometimes there isn't.

I'm pretty sure E-bay discourages people from moving their business outside their site. Must be why there's a fee and stuff. Then again, you can sometimes lie and say the item was not as described, lost or broken (and that you found all that out, after the auction was posted). That of course, would be lying. But then again... there is nothing wrong or immoral about lying.

Van Statten wrote:
Business is business and if I had an auction and someone PMed me an offer that was too good to turn away, that auction would be ended.

I understand. It's part of the game. But it's no different than calling out "Dirty Pool" when someone drives the price up. After all, business is business.

Van Statten wrote:
I've made offers like that for things... sometimes it works... other times they say no and then I bid.

And that's fine. But it looks like you are defending it on account that it works for you.

Van Statten wrote:
The only reason having someone run a price up is wrong is because it violates one of E-bay's user agreements.

Really? I didn't know that. Weird, though. You know... on account of Ebay making a little bit of money "off the top". But it sounds logical that they would discourage auctions from skyrocketing.

Kinda explains why they added those Facebook links to the top of their auctions, and relentlessly continue to remind people that tender offers (just as the ones described here), fall outside their Ebay Buyer Protection Rules.

Clearly they want to discourage people from promoting auctions and encourage more wheeling & dealing. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:38 pm 

Guess I misread that o'King of the Bold Face. :lol:

Even if you say the item is broken you get slapped with a fee in most cases, It's not much but adds up with everything else they take from you.

I defend it because that's life. Like Taxes you just can't do anything about it. I've had items I was the winning bidder and with a high enough bid I was confident no one would touch... just vanish over night. Gone... and I'm sure 9 times out of 10 it was pulled because someone made a nice private offer or they got more for it in their shop. (There is the actual option on their form 'This Item is No longer Available' just in case you do have a store and accidentally sell something you have listed.) But what's getting bent out of shape about it going to do? I get my fair share of the E-bay karma wheel. I'm content with the wares I get off there. Hell, I built 45% of my DCUC collection from there.... (The other 45% from Amazon and 10% from the retail brick and mortar.. sadly I wish I could find them more in the brick and mortar.)

It's how the place operates.

It could work for you too all you have to do is ask.

And I'll never call dirty pool on a price being run up. If the person who wins actually pays that price more power to them, I'll get it next time.

And if it was some guy pulling a fast one, sucks to be him as he still gets charged a percentage of the final sale price. Which in my opinion is a large amount. I'm all about E-bay getting their fair share but they take a bit much but what you gonna do, right?

Even with my E-bay disagreements I can't be in the evil-bay camp.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:45 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

red Ricky wrote:
I'm pretty sure E-bay discourages people from moving their business outside their site. Must be why there's a fee and stuff. .

THis was the sole reason for hiding winners ebay ids--- people would see what other peoples auctions sold for and then go down the list of other bidders and try and poach sales from the second highest bidder without listing product..

Every change that ebay makes-"to protect the seller and buyer" should be written as Protect our profit margins.. (like charging a % of the shipping fee- even if you charged actual shipping costs- since this was done to stop the .01 auctions and 100.00 shipping charges.. --though they do have every right to do all of this- just like I dont have the right to list..

Personally I never close an auction early- because I have never been offered a number higher than what I would get from the auction if it played out-- and I think sellers who do this dont have any business sense-- because you never know what a bidder is willing to go up to -- I know of several auctions that I was planning on going higher than they were offered and closed..

Running the price up is only wrong if you are in cahoots with the seller-- Ive been to several live auctions where several of us have run up multiple item auctions just so a dealer-- blows his wad early and has to leave-- of course its difficult to do this on ebay without knowing the ids involved...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:48 pm 

stewbacca wrote:
Running the price up is only wrong if you are in cahoots with the seller-- Ive been to several live auctions where several of us have run up multiple item auctions just so a dealer-- blows his wad early and has to leave-- of course its difficult to do this on ebay without knowing the ids involved...

I grew up around auction houses, that's how it was done, the owner of an item would bump his stuff up just to protect it and it was all perfectly legal under the rules of the auction house. Some dealers knew the lot numbers and others didn't.

Auctions were how I built a large chunk of my golden and silver age comics, my father was buying them back in the late 80s before anyone even really cared about comic books.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:49 pm 
Brand Manager

Fair enough. We cool.
Just wanted to point out that the other extreme can suck, too.
(You know... as a play by the rules guy; or if you end up getting jipped on the merchandise.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:00 pm 

red Ricky wrote:
Fair enough. We cool.

Yeah we cool!
red Ricky wrote:
Just wanted to point out that the other extreme can suck, too.

Oh I can agree with that!
red Ricky wrote:
(You know... as a play by the rules guy; or if you end up getting jipped on the merchandise.)

Sucks to be jipped on merchandise! No excuse for that. I may be guilty of shipping late but I'll always ship Priority with the tracking and you always get what you pay for. Price gougers I can deal with, people who over charge with shipping I can handle... But being cheap and cheating with the actual merchandise once money has exchanged hands... I don't play that game.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:17 am 
my tummy itches

yeah i think 157$ is a record price for a moc volcana on ebay. :shock: