Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Star Trek 2009 Galaxy Series: Revisited
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:45 pm 
5th Horseman

Okay, so after I learned that the second wave wasn't going to be released, I was pretty miffed. As I was going through some of my stuff the other day, I realized it shouldn't be at all difficult to complete (at least passably) the Bridge Playset and the Enterprise crew. I'm not sure why it took me a couple of years to figure this out.

(Maybe it was mah faincy skoolin dunn mayd me think bedder!!)

Chekov & McCoy in Enterprise outfits should be easy head swaps with Spock and Sulu figures. (Has anyone done headswaps with these figures, is it easy going? What about the Warp series 6" figures? They seem like they might be a little trickier).

"Completing" the Bridge should be as easy as getting:

1) an additional Kirk B9 piece
2) 3 Pike B2 pieces
3) 3 Scotty B11 pieces

I won't have the variety I'd like with all the consoles, but at least it'll be seating all around, and they will line up together.

4) Additional Bridge playset

These should easily be cheap enough by now to customize the two plexi panels to stand in for the two missing ones in the set. I'm thinking, not connecting the bases and filing off the pegs on the bottom might be enough for them to stand up, but save some room and look slightly different than the ones up front. I won't have the auxiliary comm and science stations, but hey... beggars can't be choosers, right?

Does anyone have any other ideas/suggestions/photos of what they have done/plan to do with their Bridge playsets or customs of McCoy and Chekov?

P.S. I don't supposed anyone has heard any news on these being released (which I seriously doubt). I'm sure we wouldn't hear about that until we Start seeing product for the next movie, and that's only if Playmates gets the license again.

I don't know why these did so poorly at retail. Sure, they weren't amazing, but I thought it was a pretty solid line that was both kid and collector friendly. Were retailers just over-saturated with them? Thoughts on that?

Cheers!
-J

Post subject: Re: Star Trek 2009 Galaxy Series: Revisited
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:26 pm 
Wonderdog

I really hope they make the new figures like they used to make the Star Trek figures back in the 90's... come on Playmates you had gold back then.

Webslinger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:07 am 
Cold-cast

HalJordanist wrote:
Okay, so after I learned that the second wave wasn't going to be released, I was pretty miffed. As I was going through some of my stuff the other day, I realized it shouldn't be at all difficult to complete (at least passably) the Bridge Playset and the Enterprise crew. I'm not sure why it took me a couple of years to figure this out.

(Maybe it was mah faincy skoolin dunn mayd me think bedder!!)

Chekov & McCoy in Enterprise outfits should be easy head swaps with Spock and Sulu figures. (Has anyone done headswaps with these figures, is it easy going? What about the Warp series 6" figures? They seem like they might be a little trickier).

"Completing" the Bridge should be as easy as getting:

1) an additional Kirk B9 piece
2) 3 Pike B2 pieces
3) 3 Scotty B11 pieces

I won't have the variety I'd like with all the consoles, but at least it'll be seating all around, and they will line up together.

4) Additional Bridge playset

These should easily be cheap enough by now to customize the two plexi panels to stand in for the two missing ones in the set. I'm thinking, not connecting the bases and filing off the pegs on the bottom might be enough for them to stand up, but save some room and look slightly different than the ones up front. I won't have the auxiliary comm and science stations, but hey... beggars can't be choosers, right?

Does anyone have any other ideas/suggestions/photos of what they have done/plan to do with their Bridge playsets or customs of McCoy and Chekov?

P.S. I don't supposed anyone has heard any news on these being released (which I seriously doubt). I'm sure we wouldn't hear about that until we Start seeing product for the next movie, and that's only if Playmates gets the license again.

I don't know why these did so poorly at retail. Sure, they weren't amazing, but I thought it was a pretty solid line that was both kid and collector friendly. Were retailers just over-saturated with them? Thoughts on that?

Cheers!
-J

You mean like this? http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12569&start=165 :mrgreen:

I'm not sure about the plexi panels though. I keep going back and forth over them. I am seriously considering making removable wall sections though. Sort of like the old Next Generation bridge. It would be easy enough to make that out of cardstock.

About custom Bones and Chekov, they're not difficult. They are a little tricky though. The neck pegs like to break off these. Although I didn't boil and pop them either. So that could account for that. If you don't break the peg though, they go back together pretty easily. The good news is that if you do get all the extra Scotty's you'll have plenty of red shirts. :mrgreen: I always wanted to see a Vulcan red shirt, and now I have one.

As for the crap sales, I can only speculate, but my experience is that nobody wanted that particular look for trek. Had it been the Original Series, TNG, or even DS9 in that scale, I believe it would have sold MUCH better.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:35 am 
5th Horseman

Your bridge looks great! I think I'm gonna try and do something with the plexi panels to finish it out. I LOVE the way you did the multi-levels. How long did it take you? I was also thinking about doing that but also finding a way to light all the floor lights, too. I don't know. That might be too much work. And lighting the space under the captains chair would be a nightmare!

Thanks for sharing!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:23 pm 
Cold-cast

HalJordanist wrote:
Your bridge looks great! I think I'm gonna try and do something with the plexi panels to finish it out. I LOVE the way you did the multi-levels. How long did it take you? I was also thinking about doing that but also finding a way to light all the floor lights, too. I don't know. That might be too much work. And lighting the space under the captains chair would be a nightmare!

Thanks for sharing!!

Thank you. Although I can't take complete credit for it. As I said in the other topic, mine is based off the one UncleMarsellus did. But I had the same idea you had to "complete" it.

Also as UncleMarsellus pointed out, it is not even close to being symmetrical. So don't make the mistake of thinking that you can use one side of the stairs or the lower side sections to use as a pattern. That takes some time.

I used foamcore board. However I never was able to find 1/2" like I wanted, so I used 5 sheets of 3/16". One for the base overall. 3 for the back section. If you angle the section right, you can get two pieces out of a single sheet. And the last two sheets for the steps, side sections, and front section. Once the back section is done, it gets easier as you head toward the front of the bridge. But also more time consuming. Altogether I think it took me about 3 1/2 or 4 hours. I used glue sticks to hold the layers of foamboard together and went around the edges with Loctite multi-purpose super glue to fix the mat pieces to the foamboard. I didn't want to go all over the sections with that to prevent dimpling and it would take a LOT of that to do it.

I had thought about lighting, but I believe it would be an absolute nightmare. That is for skill well beyond me. :mrgreen: If you could do it, I bet it would look fantastic though.

Overall, I'm rather happy with my results. As I said before, I'm still deciding on the panels at the back and the wall sections, but other than that I'm pleased.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:24 pm 
Collector Inspector

I feel really sorry for this line...
Playmates had a really good product but you can still get most of it today at Big Lots.
Thanks to the upcoming Doctor Who/TNG comic teamup, I am tempted to go buy alot of this stuff.

Playmates Star Trek toys in general must not be very sought after...
I just bought a nearly 20 years old TNG Q figure for $8 off amazon.
20 years later and I can still get one of the most popular character's figure so cheap?!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:31 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Playmates are a hit or miss... it really depends on how long a dealer wants to sit and look at their stuff. They have book value but no real worth to anyone... just about anyone who wants these, owns them already or there is nothing new to stir up interest.

I bought my bridge playset, boxed, new, complete... $25.00

It can sell as high as 150.00 on a good day...

The playsets are semi sought after.

It's the ships and the roleplay items where the money is at! The ships still fetch a good price today especially if they work! And the roleplay items like phasers and tri-corders...