Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Episode 11
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:58 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Hey guys, thanks again ...

Jason, I have a friend who is a Professor at the University of Rochester and teaches a Music History series. He has documented the demise of the CD since the inception of iTunes and the birth of the digital download.

Absolutely, do we both agree with you that the concept of the "album" is a dying breed. He has been charting the growth of the "single" and how the majority of downloads, legally through iTunes at least, is a single song, or small group of singles, leaving much of the album lingering in obscurity.

He has seen how it has become much more the model to measure success based on the total sales of an individual track over the sales of the total album release.

He suspects that we won't see "concept albums" in the future, except for some very small, limited release, fan service type item.

Not sure how I feel about it to be honest though. I will absolutely go out of my way to buy a full album of a band I like, even if I will only truly enjoy 2 or 3 tracks. However, I also will gladly download a track from a band that I don't regularly follow if they put out a "stellar" track.

Love to get some other opinions on the subject.

And Jason, if you ever find yourself in Rochester (and truly why would you?), you will need to make it a MUST that you stop at the House of Guitars. World famous music store that has housed some of the greatest names in music since its inception several decades back. Truly a MUST visit for audio-philes regardless of your preferred genre.