Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: DCUC Wave 20 on eBay!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:42 am 
Aspires to be #1

I also think it's true that WB mandated an end to DCUC and a new plan at retail. Otherwise, why would Mattel change everything like that? DCUC was probably their best DC line. If you were around during SDCC, you could tell that Mattel WAS NOT prepared for all of this. They really botched the announcement of what was happening with DCUC and the sub and had to do several follow up interviews to clear everything up. We may never know exactly what happened but it sure looked like WB said do this and do that, you have no choice.

And as far as there not being much new 52, Mattel has probably had like 7-8 months now to get those designs and have the figures ready to go. They're getting them out as fast as the can.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:54 am 
5th Horseman

OH.... I completely agree. I think Mattel was handed a raw deal in this, and they scrambled to save everything they were planning. In hindsight it probably was the best solutions they saw fit to do. There are a lot of gears turning to get these toys to people who buy them.

Still makes me grumpy! LOL.

I also think another issue is with DC direct. Market saturation for certain characters is also a problem. The rainbow lanterns case in point. Hitting shelves almost a year earlier (and completely!) damaged sales for Mattels. Even though there are people who only buy one line or the other, my opinion is the people who wanted those characters- bought the DC direct ones. And now with Arkham City figures hitting, it does damage to both companies sales.

It's just a matter of everyone getting their ducks in a row. If DC Direct handles comic likenesses, then what does Mattel get? The whole relationship needs to be streamlined, and clearly brand marketed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:06 pm 
shirtless hugger

well, it's disappointing that DCUC is ending, but I saw all of wave 20 at a local Target, and remnants at another one. I didn't want Nekron, Sinestro or White Lantern Flash, so I grabbed Green and Red Arrows, and Hawk and Dove. Guess now I wait for the sub to kick in and pick and choose what I want from the All Star line.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:24 pm 
Resin

Is DCUC really ending? As far as I can tell, Mattel is just using the costume designs of the New 52 and slapping another name on the box. Scale and overall look is exactly the same.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:50 pm 
5" Scale

batfink wrote:
Is DCUC really ending? As far as I can tell, Mattel is just using the costume designs of the New 52 and slapping another name on the box. Scale and overall look is exactly the same.

well we are no longer getting CnC and only 3 new figures a wave out of 4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:04 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

Yeah it's over in the format we've grown to know it in the last 4-5 years.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:38 am 
Brand Manager

I just found a case of wave 20 at Target. Lame that it is the case without Speedy and Green Arrow ! But I picked up Hawk and Dove who I have no interest in I just want the CNC pieces. Would anybody here want them or like $30 shipped ? I mean I paid like $16.88 each ! Figured I would ask on here first before I toss them on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:55 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

So far I've obtained Hawk and Dove. And a buddy of mine got me Sinestro and Zoom.

That might be it for me. I've decided I don't care about Nekron. White Flash and a revamped Green Arrow hold no interest for me (and why did we get another GA before Hook-hand Aquaman?).

Red Arrow will be the true test. I already have the YJ and the DC Direct versions so . . . :?

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:05 am 
Aspires to be #1

Shellhead wrote:
(and why did we get another GA before Hook-hand Aquaman?).

Tooling of course. Hook hand aquaman needs a lot more than that Green Arrow did.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:56 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Shellhead wrote:
White GRAY Flash

Fixed it

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:31 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Saw these over the weekend at Target. Really a great looking wave. Genuinely sad that the current format is ending at least at retail. Dove turned out even better than I expected, although I still think they should have done a 50/50 split.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:46 am 
Hat Pooper

Yesterday I grabbed Dove and Red Arrow. Hawk & Green Arrow were gone. I passed on Zoom & White Flash.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:39 pm 
Resin

Found all but Dove at Target on Monday. I had only planned on getting Sinestro, Zoom, and maybe Dove, but I gave in when I saw them all in person. I haven't opened any yet but I have to admit, even though he is the most unnecessary of the wave, I am most excited about opening White Lantern Flash. Because he's so shiny, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:18 am 
Tis' but a pup

White Lantern Flash got a lot of flak in this wave, and it frustrated me a little bit. Maybe its just because I'm not quite the connoisseur as some of you or maybe its just different strokes for different folks, but White Lantern flash was my favorite in this wave. He just looked the coolest. And by coolest i thought he totally looked AWESOME. I don't mind the greyness of his costume, it happens. I loved the lightning coming off of his shoulders. Surely I'm not the only one :?:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:32 am 
Aspires to be #1

FlashofHope wrote:
White Lantern Flash got a lot of flak in this wave, and it frustrated me a little bit. Maybe its just because I'm not quite the connoisseur as some of you or maybe its just different strokes for different folks, but White Lantern flash was my favorite in this wave. He just looked the coolest. And by coolest i thought he totally looked AWESOME. I don't mind the greyness of his costume, it happens. I loved the lightning coming off of his shoulders. Surely I'm not the only one :?:

I think you are and the lightning would have been cooler if it wasn't from the electric superman and still had the superman symbol on the back.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next