Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Green Lantern Movie 4" Figures Discussion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:53 am 
User avatar
Aspires to be #1
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am
Posts: 12527
Location: College Station, TX
funtime3 wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:
peg warming crap that cost us a GL TAS line.


Although I agree with you on a base level, as it is the case, the blame should be put on the retailers initial overstocking and hopefully JLU collectors won't direct any ire to another toy line that was a victim of circumstances beyond their control (hey there, DC Infinite Heroes).

They waited way to long to put the dang stuff out on the shelves. The movie was first week of June and I drove all across the city on May 15 and no stores were taking their boxes out of storage and putting them on the shelves. GL stuff should have been out a month before--BEFORE people knew the movie sucked --and it should have been a big push for the product , not a slow meandering trickle of toys, long after the movie debuted and flopped (Hi there, Green Lantern Action League sets, construct set, Movie Masters, Guardian packs). Once kids saw the movie was about Hal Jordan brooding and talking to his girlfriend and that the villain was impossible to obtain (Hi there, Movie Masters) , there was no demand for all these green toys. And I couldn't find a promotion at a serious fast food joint (My Subway had nothing before the movie!)

Personally, even though I wouldn't buy most of them, I think GL:TAS should be on the shelves. It's unfortunate. But I feel it's because the retailers asked for a TON of GL stuff in the beginning, then Mattel delivered a bunch of junk (the vehicle sets, Parralax vs. Hal set , Hal Jordan's Parachuting Dad, punching Fists, 100 versions of Hal Jordan, etc), and then the stuff sat in storage even though the boxes said "May 1" on them, and then Green Lantern was never put on an out-facing endcap in my stores except for one Walmart long after the movie started. And There WAS good stuff. The Movie Masters were great (except for the C+C debacle) The 4 inch line had a neat range of characters. All the fans loved the constructs. The accompanying stuff was great: 12 inch Hal, GL Classics, GL action League.

But, there shouldn't be too much heartache. There's an Animated line that seems to be doing really well and JLU fans have been pretty smitten with it seems.

P.S. (personally, I liked the movie. I just didn't loooove it)


You're right and the toys were faithful to the movie but the whole thing felt cheap and then product didn't move at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Green Lantern Movie 4" Figures Discussion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:32 pm 
User avatar
Displays Backwards
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1188
Location: Alexandria, VA
j1h15233 wrote:
There will definitely be another movie, but as for toys...who cares if they make more. The only thing that was worth anything was the 12 in. Hal in DCUC style. The rest of the stuff was just peg warming crap that cost us a GL TAS line.


I have to disagree. But you seem to dislike anything that isn't JLU anyway. (GL, DCIH, YJ)

They weren't great, but the sculpts were really quite good. The 5 POA I didn't like at all, but for anybody who loves the JLU line that seems to be what they want.
So what was so terribly wrong with this line? A lot of the vehicles/constructs were lame, but that seems to be par for the course with movie lines.

I thought the movie was okay, but the movie figs didn't sell as many as the toy company wanted them to - just like the Thor line, maybe the Cap line, the Iron Man 2 line, the Pirates of the Caribbean line, etc, etc.

And who's to say a GL TAS line would sell any better? It has less exposure, would have more cartoonish figures - maybe it would sell a lot worse.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Green Lantern Movie 4" Figures Discussion
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:52 am 
User avatar
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:16 pm
Posts: 4652
Location: Pasadena, Texas
I don't think it is possible for a toy line to sell as well as the company wants it to anymore. They are just getting too greedy.

CCC.

_________________
The dirty old man of figure customizing.
When you enforce your point of view on an open forum, it is no longer an open forum.
Museum Super Collector


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Green Lantern Movie 4" Figures Discussion
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:52 am 
User avatar
Brand Manager
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2088
Location: Brazil
Jim_Abell wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:
There will definitely be another movie, but as for toys...who cares if they make more. The only thing that was worth anything was the 12 in. Hal in DCUC style. The rest of the stuff was just peg warming crap that cost us a GL TAS line.


There will be toys. Maybe not as many as the last time, but there will be toys -- especially if the same tooling can be used for some of the characters.


And that make at least one collector here really happy :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Green Lantern Movie 4" Figures Discussion
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:38 am 
User avatar
Collector Inspector
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:05 pm
Posts: 1336
Location: The Midwest of America
I agree with BCYa on a few points there. It touches a nerve in me when JLU collectors are mean to other toy lines (someone's going to come in and pile on me for that. oh well). I mean, they're getting their final 3-packs for $30. I didn't get my movie masters in stores like they were supposed to be (hello, C+C promotion). I didn't get my last 3 guardian packs. I didn't get my last wave of DCIH prototypes made (That one stung).

I don't believe it's the basic figures that cost us the GL:TAS line, it's all the Green Lantern stuff. It was just too much. It cost me some stuff too.

but, I agree that they "feel cheap". The sculpts are very nice. I loyally collected DCIH and GL 4 inch, But when I look at my DCIH collection , I have a source of pride and when I look at my Green Lanterns, I see "cheap". I wish it weren't the case, because they represented the movie designs very well and in that sense, they're no worse than the Young Justice figures which are embraced and loved.

I think it's because with Marvel Universe, we just expect better with the 4 inch line, but YJ gets a thumbs up, more or less, because they're JLU-ey. I dunno man, I just with Mattel would step up their game a little in that scale.

It's interesting that my Targets still carry the basic figures. It must have something do with that price point. And the big jet is still in stock. Not only that , ALL my stores still have the 4-figure packs at $29.99. Those are not going anywhere. Thankfully, a certain awesome board member here was able to get my Salaak for the $9.00 Clearance price. Many thanks to him! I'm caught up with my corp!

Those vehicle sets MUST do well in focus groups or something- or retailers just flat request those- because they always get made no matter what. Some of them are so stupid, but parents must like to buy them. The GL vehicles were really gruesome because the figures that came with them were immovable statues. Ironman and Spidermans on motorcycles, etc.

I really hope we get 2 more movies with figures (some , gasp, female lanterns) but I'm not optimistic. I want a 2nd movie that's gets tough and has an all out war with Sinestro and his corp. While Hal is dealing with Sinestro, Carol turns into Star Sapphire and he has to deal with that. After they beat Sinestro with the help of John and Guy and throw his corp in Jail , the Guardians come in and say "um, we have another problem". Final credits sequence is a dark cave with an orange glow and a voice saying " mine! Mine! MINE!" and then all the orange constructs rush out. 3rd movie is the war of colors because Geoff Johns and because kids love colored things. But it won't happen. The 1st movie cost us our sequels!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Green Lantern Movie 4" Figures Discussion
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:47 am 
User avatar
Aspires to be #1
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am
Posts: 12527
Location: College Station, TX
BCYa wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:
There will definitely be another movie, but as for toys...who cares if they make more. The only thing that was worth anything was the 12 in. Hal in DCUC style. The rest of the stuff was just peg warming crap that cost us a GL TAS line.


I have to disagree. But you seem to dislike anything that isn't JLU anyway. (GL, DCIH, YJ)


Definitely not true. The GL toys sucked, but that's partially the movies fault. DCIH was not that great and even it's biggest supporters can't argue with that when they're compared to MU. I tried to collect a few of them but the majority of the sculpts didn't do it for me. I have every YJ figure out so far, I have hundreds of DCUC and I'm getting some Legends now. I'm certainly not a JLU only guy. I just try to tell it like it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Green Lantern Movie 4" Figures Discussion
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:50 pm 
User avatar
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:16 pm
Posts: 4652
Location: Pasadena, Texas
I think part of the problem is that people accept JLU level quality from Mattel because they believe that is the best Mattel is capable of, and Mattel is only too eager to prove them right.

CCC.

_________________
The dirty old man of figure customizing.
When you enforce your point of view on an open forum, it is no longer an open forum.
Museum Super Collector


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Green Lantern Movie 4" Figures Discussion
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:12 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 6122
Location: Shelbyville, KY
We dont accept it-- we just dont have a choice-- With 6" scale- you used to be able to choose DC Direct or DCUC-Marvel Select or Marvel Legends,- with JLU representation you get whats out there by who makes it.Same as Thundercats, Toy Story or Star Wars-- if thats the only way to get the property you love in figure form-- you have to buy it...

If someone else was able to make a JLU-- Im probably sure I would have chosen the other company over Mattel-- And you know why those POTC or Tron figures didnt sell either-- is beacuse they sucked as well-- with sculpts worse than the GL line-- Just like Avengers will probably sit as well-- because those sculpts are back to basic levels of 10 years ago-- that Cap #10- cant look more simplistic... So I am sure Hasbro is going to get some major flack and backlash this year as well..

The GL movie wasnt that bad-- (well I say that because I could care less about how Hal is shown-- although Hector Hammond was a bad choice-- If you are doing a GL movie-- there was no choice but to use sinestro-- in his Black and Blue suit with a Yellow ring) -- the suit design was-- and that really did make a lot of difference...

_________________
Fastest know derailer of threads in the know universe...expanded or otherwise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Green Lantern Movie 4" Figures Discussion
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:01 am 
User avatar
Disney is not his cup of tea
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 2796
Question, the Wal-Mart exclusive two packs that come with a Lantern and a Guardian. There were six... I only ever seen 1, 2 and 3. Did 4, 5 and 6 ever come out?

_________________
Trading Scores: +16
+4 Bunger43, +1 alcinde4, +1 An-Gel Sakur, +5 ProfessorK, +1 Nonnahir, +1 Toyman, +1 Justice Freak, +1 bnjmnrlyr, +1 Jim_Abell
My eBay Feedback


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Green Lantern Movie 4" Figures Discussion
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:20 pm 
User avatar
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:16 pm
Posts: 4652
Location: Pasadena, Texas
I have never seen them. I have never heard of anyone seeing them. I asked about it and got a response that Walmart had taken delivery of them. ( I know whoever said that will see this and speak up but I don't have time at the moment to go back and find that. )

I saw the Sinestro and Kilowog packs at a Fallas Paredes/Fallas Discount store a couple of weeks ago. This was the first time I have seen them outside of Walmart. It is possible that they may show up there as well because it stands to reason that if Walmart received 4,5, and 6, they had all of 1,2, and 3, so Fallas could not have got them from anyone else (like Mattel).

CCC.

_________________
The dirty old man of figure customizing.
When you enforce your point of view on an open forum, it is no longer an open forum.
Museum Super Collector


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Green Lantern Movie 4" Figures Discussion
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:41 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3077
Can someone tell me why my Target has the basic GL movie figs for $9.99? Is it a case similar to when JLU was marked up prior to it's inevitable clearance?

The GL figure situation flat out stinks. I am convinced that the major factor with the line isn't that the movie underperformed. It's that the Big Three waaaaaay overordered the first wave or so.

I am so looking forward to a sequel to Green Lantern. I like to think of it in X-Men terms. The first X-Men film was good. The second X-Men film was fantastic! I fully expect a second GL film to aspire to be better than the first, and knock our green socks off.

It's very sad that nobody can safely say that they have a complete C+C Parallax or a full set of conceived and produced Guardians.

_________________
'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Green Lantern Movie 4" Figures Discussion
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:52 pm 
User avatar
Disney is not his cup of tea
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 2796
I have only ever seen TWO complete C-n-C Parallax on eBay... and they were insanely expensive. I don't care if he's rare... it's not worth any insane price, like the Doctor Who BAF Gelth Phantom, such a crappy BAF not worth the price people pay for it.

_________________
Trading Scores: +16
+4 Bunger43, +1 alcinde4, +1 An-Gel Sakur, +5 ProfessorK, +1 Nonnahir, +1 Toyman, +1 Justice Freak, +1 bnjmnrlyr, +1 Jim_Abell
My eBay Feedback


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Green Lantern Movie 4" Figures Discussion
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:17 pm 
User avatar
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:16 pm
Posts: 4652
Location: Pasadena, Texas
Howard the Duck wrote:
I am so looking forward to a sequel to Green Lantern. I like to think of it in X-Men terms. The first X-Men film was good. The second X-Men film was fantastic! I fully expect a second GL film to aspire to be better than the first, and knock our green socks off.


I think the problem with GL was there was no villain for him to dialogue with. Personally I was very happy with the CG in general, but so many people nowadays believe that a good movie is dialogue driven and without a good villain to dialogue with the film does not have depth. I just don't understand people like that? :wink: Anyway, with Sinestro to dialogue with, this one should have enough depth to make them happy.

CCC.

_________________
The dirty old man of figure customizing.
When you enforce your point of view on an open forum, it is no longer an open forum.
Museum Super Collector


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Green Lantern Movie 4" Figures Discussion
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:27 am 
User avatar
Brand Manager
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2088
Location: Brazil
I really want to see a GL2 movie. Let's hope the DVD and Blu ray sales convince WB to make it happen :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Green Lantern Movie 4" Figures Discussion
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:50 am 
User avatar
Aspires to be #1
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am
Posts: 12527
Location: College Station, TX
Magog wrote:
I really want to see a GL2 movie. Let's hope the DVD and Blu ray sales convince WB to make it happen :wink:


It's already happening. How did everyone miss that news? They announced almost right after the first one came out that despite sales, they were pushing through with a second movie.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], PJ


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright © www.actionfigureinsider.com


[ Time : 0.052s | 12 Queries | GZIP : Off ]