Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Super Powers Thread - 2012 Edition
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:07 am 
Aspires to be #1

Hey guys, question for everyone

Is this one of those Super Powers cup holders? I got it in a Batman lot from BBTS a while back and I think that's what it looks like but really I have no idea. Thanks for you help.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:52 am 
Fugitive Dust

It looks like it, flip it over it should say Burger King with a number on it. The number coincides with the matching cup. Should be a copyright date too.

Regards,
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:36 am 
Aspires to be #1

It doesn't say Burger King anywhere on it but it does say "Figurine D for Cup D".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:40 pm 
Fugitive Dust

I just double checked mine and you have the BK SP Batman cup holder! I could've sworn it said BK on it, but I was wrong.

Regards,
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:09 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Cool. Anyone interested in it? I don't want it so it's going on eBay sooner or later.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:37 am 
MINT!

Any opinions on the Hall of Justice? I'm debating whether or not to trade for my friend's loose complete with box HOJ. I'm not 100% sold on it since it's that nasty yellow but also I want it more for the facade of the front than the interior playset portion.

Ideally I want to use it for a display piece with my JLU figs. Has anyone else done this or have pics?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:09 pm 
Fugitive Dust

I love mine, but why pay/trade for a complete one, when an incomplete one would cost less and can be had for cheap if patient.

Regards,
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:35 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

As a playset, the Hall of Justice isn't all that great in my eyes, but the front section is absolutely perfect as a backdrop to display a loose figure collection in front of from my perspective! I don't have photos to prove it, but would be shocked if you weren't 100% satisfied with it for this purpose. The Hall of Justice has some elements of a rush job on the playset design aspect, but that's attributed to the fact that the Hall of Justice was originally envisioned as a carrying case, but the project morphed into a playset when they took into account that the line was launching without a playset. Kenner would have more than made up for it had the Tower of Darkness been released!

I agree with Ken that the front section would serve your purpose very well and save you trade material/money. Plus, it'll cut down on the depth requirement since the middle and rear sections add significant depth to it.

- Mike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:41 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I know Casimir repainted the front of his white and it turned out great... but I can't find a link to it on his page right now.

As mentioned the front easily disconnects from the rest of the set.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:08 am 
MINT!

Thanks, guys. I originally wanted a loose one for cheap when my friend offered me his complete one. I think I'm getting a good deal on it since shipping and what not would probably kill any deal I get online. However, it's still those same reasons you guys mentioned that I haven't done it yet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:53 am 
serves the Otter

shabbyblue wrote:
I've seen mention before of people who reproduce some of the hard to find weapons for Super Powers figures, such as Samurai's sword, but is there anyone who has reproduced parts of the Hall of Justice playset? Specifically, I need the yellow trapdoor above the jail cell since the one I have has one of its knobs broken off, so it won't stay in place atop the cell and just keeps falling down inside the jail cell. For something small, molded in yellow plastic, surely someone has attempted to cast and reproduce this piece before? I'd hate to have to buy another complete HOJ set just to replace this one small piece. :(

So nothing eh? :?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:12 pm 
serves the Otter

Watched an episode of Quantum Leap today on DVD. It's the episode where Sam leaps into Jimmy, a retarded guy. Right at the beginning of the episode he's in his nephew's bedroom and there's a Super Powers lunch box on one of the shelves. Very easy to spot when I freeze-framed the episode. Funny thing is... the episode is set in 1964. Apparently the set decorator didn't do their research of accurate set props for that era. There were other superhero themed toys and props in the background of that scene too, so I guess that the decorator just picked it as a prop simply because Superman was on the cover, and they had no clue about the Super Powers brand name incorrectly dating that prop. :)

This episode was filmed in 1989 though... so at the time it was probably still easy to find a Super Powers lunchbox somewhere locally, at least at some flea market or garage sale. Any idea what that box is worth today (assuming it's in decent condition WITH the thermos)?

On a related note, is this the only known instance of a Super Powers item appearing in a movie or tv series? I know we can see vintage Star Wars toys in the kids' bedrooms in E.T. and Poltergeist, but I don't think I've ever seen SP stuff until now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:38 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

There's a Flash action figure used in an episode of the Flash. Episode 15: Fast Forward. In a future ruled by the criminal known as Pike, Flash items are considered contraband... and the two police officers; Murphy and Bellows are caught selling Flash memorabilia.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:20 pm 
Fugitive Dust

I think the Flash in that picture is a Toy Biz one.

As for the lunchbox question it depends on the quality of the box plus if it has a thermos and if that thermos has a lid.

Regards,
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:27 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Isn't it the same mold? Or were they completely brand new for Toybiz?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next