Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: Green Lantern Movie 4" Figures Discussion
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:11 pm 
Brand Manager

I read about that, but since it was announced last year, nothing happened.

Anyway, here's a pic of my 4 inch Guardians waitting for Scar and Herupa:

:wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:03 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

LordMudd wrote:
I think the problem with GL was there was no villain for him to dialogue with...

...Anyway, with Sinestro to dialogue with, this one should have enough depth to make them happy.

CCC.

Oh, that's a good point. I personally didn't mind how Hector Hammond was portrayed. He was supposed to be both pathetic and freaky, tongue-in-cheek and demented. Perhaps if the film delved further into the Hal/Carol/Hector backstory instead of hinting at it.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:34 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

RE: Guardian packs 4, 5 and 6 being in Walmart's possession --

I've been digging through the Q&As and haven't found it (yet), though it might have been posted on the Matty boards. I did go and check there and they've removed all of the "Ask Matty" forums dedicated to DC product. Did, however, find this link to an AFTimes review of the packs (dated October 15, 2011, apparently review samples sent by Mattel) but the photography is horrible.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:50 pm 
Displays Backwards

Howard the Duck wrote:
LordMudd wrote:
I think the problem with GL was there was no villain for him to dialogue with...

...Anyway, with Sinestro to dialogue with, this one should have enough depth to make them happy.

CCC.

Oh, that's a good point. I personally didn't mind how Hector Hammond was portrayed. He was supposed to be both pathetic and freaky, tongue-in-cheek and demented. Perhaps if the film delved further into the Hal/Carol/Hector backstory instead of hinting at it.

I thought the movie just portrayed him as a creepy weirdo and Hal was the cool jock. So he wasn't a "cool" villain like Darth Vader, just some loser that nobody wanted to associate with, and no one took him seriously as the main villain. It was just a dork and a giant yellow blob that Hal fought against - the battle was weak and the villains were sad.

If they had made him into HUGE HEAD Hector who just sits and thinks and is totally bad ass, that would have been different. I still don't think he should have been the villain at all, the way they tied Parallax into him sucked (even though it sort of came from the comics), and the movie could have been so much better. I love Green Lantern and all that cosmic stuff, but the movie became the superhero laughing stock of the summer. It wasn't THAT bad, but it was perceived as such by many.

And I don't think the figures didn't sell that well because the movie wasn't very good or because the figures were terrible (I kinda liked them) - it's just that none of these toys, especially movie toys, seem to sell as well as the toy company's want them to sell.

Remember the first Transformers movie, when Hasbro actually ran out of figures and had to make more to satiate demand? Maybe one of these companies should try that approach instead of flooding the market with Wave 1 figures every time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:55 am 

BCYa wrote:

Remember the first Transformers movie, when Hasbro actually ran out of figures and had to make more to satiate demand? Maybe one of these companies should try that approach instead of flooding the market with Wave 1 figures every time.

I totally agree! I think it's 60% the retailers' fault, and 40% Mattel's. The retailers want what they want, and Mattel only cares that they sell 'X' amount of GL cases from the get-go.

Mattel isn't about to say to Walmart, 'Hey, Wally! If you don't order sooooo many GL cases in the beginning, then maybe they will sell through and you can move on to newer GL product that much sooner whole all the other retailers are choking on Wave 1.' Mattel is going to keep their mouths shut and let Walmart buy however much they want to, regardless.

A, or The Most of the Mattel Corporate And Number Crunching Bean Counter Shareholder Sycophants: 'Hey, we met our retail quota! Yay!'

B-, or The Unfortunately Not As Vocal And In The Minority Voice Of Reason At Mattel: 'What about the impending Wave 2 and the planned future Waves and beyond? How is Walmart going to move a quarter million units of Wave 1 when what they should be doing is thinking about the near-term future?'

A- '...We made our quota! Yay!'

B- 'But...'

A- 'We made our money, now shush!'

I'm sure I am oversimplifying it, but it sure looks like this is what happens to me.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:03 am 
Cold-cast

I maintain that the failure was mostly due to the lousy movie designs and less the toys sort of sucking. I mean yeah they do look sort of cheap, but the movie designs only add to that. I believe that if they'd had comic accurate figures mixed in, that you'd see a ton of difference.

Anyway, I do hope those last guardian packs show up. I do like them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:31 pm 

Mattel did do that Concept Stel figure. But, I'm not sure if that was by design or by necessity. Maybe Stel's movie look was changed past the point where Mattel could do anything about it? I thought it weird that that Stel was the only non-movie figure in the line.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:06 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Howard the Duck wrote:
Mattel did do that Concept Stel figure. But, I'm not sure if that was by design or by necessity. Maybe Stel's movie look was changed past the point where Mattel could do anything about it? I thought it weird that that Stel was the only non-movie figure in the line.

Non movie AND non comic. That one was a critical fail on Mattel's part. Still, it makes a good background GL for group shots., so maybe only a 99.997% failure on their part.....

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:23 pm 
Mattel Mogul

When we tool'd the movie Stel it was based on the most accurate reference material provided by the film makers at the time. Very late in the game he was completely redesigned AFTER we not only tool'd him but went into production. The only thing we could do at that point was note on package that he was based on concept art. This has always been one of the banes between the toy and movie biz. In toys we work about 2 year ahead and the Filmmakers often change things (as was the case of Stel) very close to final cut. That is why our toy of Stel does not match the movie version.

We actually had an all new version of Stel in the works but we did not have enough retailer interest to get to a year 2 for movie based figures. Chaselon and a Yellow Sinestro were in the works too! Oh well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:29 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

My problem with this whole lineup was the aliens. Mattel should have stuck with the comic book characters instead of the movie characters. Granted I more than most of bought my far share of movie figures to customise. I would have been happer if they were comic book based instead. At one of the TRU they still have Batman Movie figures from the last movie on the shelf. Movie figures do not sell well.

In the many years (more like decades) I have sold/traded/bought/customised action figures. Movie figures are the worst idea. They sit on shelfs longer than they should, waiting to get clearance out. Marvel finally got it right and now they not only release movie figures but also comic book characters under the same title. They have make there figures the same size either 3 3/4" scale of 6" scale. This is smart, it allows kids and collectors the chance to expand there line-up.

If DC/Mattel would do the same they would make money without worring about the collectors getting upset that:
* the sizes do not match
* the movie figures are wrong
* they can add to there JLU (10 years worth of toys is something to a collector) or DC Direct/DC All-Stars collection.

Not to mention the SDCC Barbie. What was that about? You could have released one of the Female Green Lanterns in which I would have bought many. Instead Mattel released Carol in her flight suit. If you take her out of her back you cannot tell that it belongs in the DC Universe. Bad choice.

This is just some of what I saw go very wrong with the action figures from a movie that went wrong from the start.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:05 am 
Brand Manager

ToyGuru wrote:
We actually had an all new version of Stel in the works but we did not have enough retailer interest to get to a year 2 for movie based figures. Chaselon and a Yellow Sinestro were in the works too! Oh well.

Oh boy!!! :shock:

I'm oficially sad now :cry:

Couldn't these figures ever be released as convention or Matty site exclusives? I know that I would be really happy to get these.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:32 am 
Brand Manager

monitor_ep wrote:
My problem with this whole lineup was the aliens. Mattel should have stuck with the comic book characters instead of the movie characters. Granted I more than most of bought my far share of movie figures to customise. I would have been happer if they were comic book based instead. At one of the TRU they still have Batman Movie figures from the last movie on the shelf. Movie figures do not sell well.

In the many years (more like decades) I have sold/traded/bought/customised action figures. Movie figures are the worst idea. They sit on shelfs longer than they should, waiting to get clearance out. Marvel finally got it right and now they not only release movie figures but also comic book characters under the same title. They have make there figures the same size either 3 3/4" scale of 6" scale. This is smart, it allows kids and collectors the chance to expand there line-up.

If DC/Mattel would do the same they would make money without worring about the collectors getting upset that:
* the sizes do not match
* the movie figures are wrong
* they can add to there JLU (10 years worth of toys is something to a collector) or DC Direct/DC All-Stars collection.

Not to mention the SDCC Barbie. What was that about? You could have released one of the Female Green Lanterns in which I would have bought many. Instead Mattel released Carol in her flight suit. If you take her out of her back you cannot tell that it belongs in the DC Universe. Bad choice.

This is just some of what I saw go very wrong with the action figures from a movie that went wrong from the start.

And that's the funny part of this hobby.I think exctly the oposite way. My favorite part of the lineup was the aliens.

I have tons of comic based figures, but movie figures are the ones I do like more (them and my Mattel/DC Direct Magog figure).

I really don't know the sales numbers, but I bet the retailers order lots more figures based on movies, and that's probably why they stay more time on the shelves. Anyway that's not a rule. I saw a JLU Green Lantern 3-pack (Kyle and 2 alien lanterns) on a shelf yesterday.That particular 3-pack is collecting dust on that shelf for more than 5 years now. :shock:

To be really honest, I love the GL movie designs, and Movie Masters GL figures are some of my all time favorites.

As you can see. Not every collector thinks the same way, or like the same figures. I have to agree that an alien GL Barbie would look really cool, but my wife loved her Carol Ferris Barbie.

Of course I would like if Mattel get us a lot of 3.75 inch movie AND comics figures. I still have all the Infinite Heroes figures in my collection.

:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:06 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

monitor_ep wrote:

Agreed. As a customizer I just needed 1 basic female. I would have bought at least a half dozen minimum, and that just for myself. How many requests do you think there would have been?

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:16 pm 
Cold-cast

LordMudd wrote:
monitor_ep wrote:

Agreed. As a customizer I just needed 1 basic female. I would have bought at least a half dozen minimum, and that just for myself. How many requests do you think there would have been?

CCC.

Or a female lantern in the 4" line. That would have been nice even as bad as the movie designs were.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:32 pm 
Brand Manager

Magog wrote:
I have tons of comic based figures, but movie figures are the ones I do like more (them and my Mattel/DC Direct Magog figure).

I don't think the real issue is whether or not Mattel makes Movie figures; but why they must have 5 different scales.

I think that was the real meat of the post. That with Hasbro you don't have to worry about the figures fitting in. If you want the Sam Jackson Movie 'Nick Fury', you can go ahead and buy him... and it will work with the rest of your comicbook/marvel-universe lines.

Mattel on the other hand seems oblivious to this fact. They make their movie Masters figures smaller than their DCUC figures and refuse to acknowledge this fact. They also make condescending jokes about this fact when we bring the issue up in conventions (and dismiss it by saying that Christian Bale & Ryan Reynolds are tiny in real life).

But that doesn't change reality. Most fans know those figures don't fit in with their collections and as a result don't buy them.

Honestly, what self respecting Batman fan doesn't want a Commissioner Gordon action figure... or doesn't want to have a "hall of Batsuits" ala Iron Man. But when Mattel goes and makes a Dark Knight Gordon that is essentially the height of a DCUC woman, and an Arkham City Batman that is the size of a Hulk, it is easy to pass. Because in the end, those of us who have been buying all the Batman Villains from the DCUC line don't want an Honor Guard Joker (Heath/Joker/Policeman) that is smaller than all of our Robins.

And it doesn't matter how many times Mattel tells us that these figures are in a 6 inch scale... we know for a fact that it's not the same 6 inch scale across brands. Same goes with their Animated Figures. And until they fix this, their regular clientele (i.e. those of us that have been buying their figures for the last ten years) will continue to pass on those temporary Movie Figures that show up once every 3 years.

Anyways... it's up to Mattel. Make it so that the Bale-Batman is compatible with the rest of the DC Universe Classics figures (and the Green Lantern Animated Figures are compatible with Young Justice) and your existing customers will cross-over brands. And this will hopefully give you a fighting chance to sell more movie figures... or you can do what you always do and continue losing both retail and fan interest when it comes to movie figures.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next