Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles live action movie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:38 am 
declined to be a vampire

Teenage Alien Intergallatic Ninja Turtles

I'll let you guys field the horrible acronym on that one.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:24 pm 
active in the community

So he wants kids to able to believe the Turtles could actually exist, he realises that such things are possible with good story telling and decent special effects right? We don't need big explosions and aliens to make it realistic, I haven't met a kid that thinks the Transformers are real after watching his movies, but I have met kids that believe in Santa Claus.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:42 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

SDcomics wrote:
Michael Bay has now responded to the feedback on his official site with the following:

"Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world."

Uh, no, you're NOT including everything that made us become fans in the first place. You're taking a long-established, iconic, beloved pop culture property and screwing with it to suit your own so-called vision. I don't need to read a script to recognize a bad idea when it comes along. Don't tell us to chill. We're not the ones disrespecting the property -- you are, Michael Bay, and you need to be paying attention to the fan reaction. And whichever one of the "original creators" you're working with, it certainly wasn't Peter Laird, who heaped a generous amount of sarcasm in your direction, which was the least you deserved.

I was shocked to learn that they had sold off all rights to the Turtles. Clearly, that was a mistake, because it opened the door for something like this to happen.

Add the Turtles to the sadly growing list of pop-culture concepts that have been ruined by needless reboots and egotistical Hollywood prima donnas who think they can take something that's been established for decades and improve upon it simply because they're now at the helm. It's sickening, it really is.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:56 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

TrekkerGI wrote:
I was shocked to learn that they had sold off all rights to the Turtles. Clearly, that was a mistake, because it opened the door for something like this to happen.

Money talks.

They sold out. Simple as that. I'd direct your anger at them, not Bay.

The Transformers movies (especially after the first one, which I found enjoyable ) were by and large terrible, loud, spastic, and tangentially related to the source material. But they made a crap load of money.

The Turtles will probably be the same way. And they'll still make a crapload of money.

I feel VERY fortunate that my particular sacred cow (Iron Man) was done correctly and still found great success.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:07 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

To be honest they sold out the moment the animated series was made. It completely went against everything they set out to say with their comic. It was a satire for the time. And a good one at that!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:00 pm 
active in the community

Just in the defense of Mr. Laird and Mr. Eastman, they didn't sell the rights to Nickelodeon/Viacom for the money, it was because after 25 years, they were burned out on Turtles. Eastman sold his half of the rights to Laird back in '08, and then in 2009 Laird was ready to move on. I think it was more of a retirement thing for Laird and Eastman is a writer for the IDW TMNT comic right now.

Also in regards to them selling out on the cartoon, I think Laird's most recent blog post is relevant: http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:21 pm 

Eh... anyone can back pedal 25 years later and say what they want or what their intentions were after the fact. Doesn't change the fact they sold out then. And who could really blame them? But seriously call it what it is. Doesn't make them bad people.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:41 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Exclusive: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Director Addresses "Alien" Backlash

by SuperHeroHype

March 23, 2012

This past week was a crazy one for fans of the popular comic book, cartoon and movie characters, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, when Michael Bay, producer of the upcoming reboot told press at the Nickelodeon Upfront that they plan on introducing a new element to the characters by making them an "alien race," something that he and others involved with the characters began to backtrack on when the internet exploded in an uproar.

Bay's exact words were:

"When you see this movie, kids are going to believe, one day, that these turtles actually do exist when we are done with this movie. These turtles are from an alien race and they are going to be tough, edgy, funny and completely lovable."

(And if you missed it, you can read that story here.)

It just so happens ComingSoon.net/SuperHeroHype was talking to the project's director Jonathan Liebesman (Battle: Los Angeles) this morning for his upcoming Greek myth epic Wrath of the Titans and we asked him if he had been hearing about any of this backlash and what he thought of it. He was suitably diplomatic.

"I heard about it, and I'm glad there's such a passionate fanbase--I think that was good news for everyone--but literally, I've just been locked in a room with Kevin Eastman. I think what we're developing, the fans will love. I'm a fan, and I love what we're doing. It's a lot of stuff Kevin's been thinking about for a long time and just hasn't done. Anything we expand will tie right into the mythology, so I think fans will go apesh*t when they see it."

Since they are still developing the movie, he wouldn't really address whether this movie was going to be bigger in scale--something we'd assume from Liebesman's previous two movies and the involvement of Bay--whether it would break away from the family audience leanings of the previous movies or whether the Turtles would be men in costumes or done via performance capture. (Who knows? Maybe they'll get Andy Serkis to play all four Turtles. That would be something, right?)

Incidentally, later on, we attended a press conference for the movie and Liebesman mentioned having walked by posters of his new movie while walking around New York City and what that meant to him. While he was referring to Wrath of the Titans, he may as well have been referring to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, because he's clearly not on board the project to make a movie the fans are going to hate.

"That's why we worked so hard on this. You just don't want to f*ck it up and you don't want to disappoint people who pay money," he said, before paraphrasing something his star Sam Worthington told him about having a chance to do a second movie as being "out of respect for the people who are paying money to see the movie--you feel those people are the reason why we have these jobs."

Look for our full interview with Jonathan Liebesman next week before Wrath of the Titans opens on Friday, March 30.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:08 pm 

Personally anything any of these suits say won't swing me until I see the movie myself. I mean who is going to sit there and say "Yeah we did this and it sucks!" No one! Of course they are going to try to sell the masses on this. The sad truth is... that's not going to happen. There's too many purist. It's like changing Batman and not having the Waynes murdered by a gunman or Superman doesn't come to Earth from a dying planet. Some things are integral.

Now... I don't know how much the mutagen or the ooze is integral to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I know it created them and all but can we live without it? There are fans, a lot of them who feel this is what makes them who they are and if you deviate from that then you might as well not have them be those characters.

And for what? To make them edgy? To make them hip? To have children believe they can be real? WTF? That would mean you have to sell children on believing in alien races on other planets which is still considered science fiction over science fact. Having them believe that mutagen turtles could exist is not so far fetched when compared to that.

A revamp is one thing... a reboot is sometimes needed... but there are essential cores to characters and stories.

I know for myself, this movie could be spectacular but being from an alien race... well this is one kid who won't be believing in these turtles being real.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:33 am 
active in the community

From Collider.com
Quote:
Jonathan Liebesman Talks TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES Reboot; Addresses “Alien Race” Comments and Hints at Motion-Capture

Regarding the “alien race” comments, Liebesman said the “alien” aspect actually comes straight from the series:

“Look, it’s so funny—if everyone was such a die-hard fan, they would know that the TCRI canisters where the ooze comes from. That is alien ooze. Now I’m not saying what Michael said is exactly what the movie is, because we’re sitting in a room now figuring everything out. So we don’t know, but we are like Michael said: we’re expanding it, and the expansion will be true to the mythology. I promise you: fans will love it.”...

...When asked if the turtles would be practical or CGI, Liebesman hinted that they may be done similar to another recent visual effects-laden project:

“All I’ll say is that I love how they did [The Rise of the Planet of the Apes]. That was exceptional.”

Nice back pedaling. If they are making the mutagen ooze come from aliens similar to how it is in the IDW comic, I'm fine with that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:50 am 

Hmmm that's how it was in the original comics. TGRI was run by the Kangs who had come from Dimension X. They had developed the mutagen. If my memory serves me right?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:58 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Michael Bay's Alien Turtles Movie Has Working Title Ninja Turtles?

by SuperHeroHype

March 24, 2012

It's been a crazy week for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fans that kicked-off with quotes from producer Michael Bay which revealed that the turtles in the upcoming Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie will be of alien origin.

Following that statement, Michael Bay responded and so did director Jonathan Liebesman (read here), but now comes word from Bleeding Cool that the film's working title might actually just be Ninja Turtles, indicating that the movie might be losing the teenager aspect as well.

A source for the site said: It seems to be driven by marketing. Think of John Carter and how Disney wouldn’t allow for a title with either “Princess” or “Mars”.

One thing that might back up their claim is that the forums at Michael Bay's official site only list the movie as Ninja Turtles as well. You can see for yourself here.

Paramount Pictures is planning a December 25, 2013 release for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (or "Ninja Turtles").

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:16 am 
MINT!

This whole thing is making me want to pick new favorite heroes. :(

To be honest, the only new for of Turtle entertainment that I am into is the IDW comic. I'm not excited for the new cartoon (not after reading such things like April is a 16 year old with an "Indie-Rock Vibe" *shudder*) and this new movie just scares me. Also, in recent years, I see more and more kinda... BS merchandise with the Turtles on it. Tons of shirts with lame sayings, dumb looking hats...ect. I'll always love what came about from say 1984-1993 (Most of my love is for the original comics) but I'm starting to think it's time to let the past be the past, let these directors and whoever tweak and change and just deal with the fact that they aren't my Turtles anymore.

Gotta let the new generation of fans take over I 'spose.

Last edited by ProfessorK on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:27 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Michael Bay Posts Second Statement on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

by SuperHeroHype

March 27, 2012

Producer Michael Bay has posted a second statement on his forums about the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" movie that will be titled Ninja Turtles.

"Paramount marketing changed the name. They made the title simple. The characters you all remember are exactly the same, and yes they still act like teenagers. Everything you remember, why you liked the characters, is in the movie. This script is being developed by two very smart writers, with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles. They care VERY MUCH about making this film for the fans. Everyone on this team cares about the fans. Just give them a chance. Jonathan the director, is a major fan of the whole franchise. HE'S NOT GOING TO LET YOU DOWN.

MICHAEL"

This is in response to the rumor that the title had been shortened. It all started with quotes from Bay last week which revealed that the turtles in the upcoming movie would be of alien origin. Following that quote, Bay responded and so did director Jonathan Liebesman (read here).

Paramount Pictures is planning a December 25, 2013 release for Ninja Turtles.

Post subject: Re: Ninja Turtles
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:50 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

New Ninja Turtles Movie to Start Filming This Year

by SuperHeroHype

June 07, 2012

The Michael Bay-produced Ninja Turtles will go in front of the cameras this year, according to The Province. Paramount Pictures is looking to start principal photography late this summer or early in the fall in Vancouver.

Bay is producing through his Platinum Dunes production company with Jonathan Liebesman (Wrath of the Titans) directing and a screenplay by Josh Appelbaum and André Nemec (Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol). The turtles are expected to be motion capture CGI, much like what we saw in last year's Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

The studio is planning to release the film on December 25, 2013.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next