Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sales Date for JLU's Firefly/Toyman/Dr Destiny 3-Pack?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:21 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Does anyone know Mattel's plans for selling this three-pack & others? I understand it's scheduled for the Fall, but have any dates been announced for any specific set? Just curious. :?:

Post subject: Re: Sales Date for JLU's Firefly/Toyman/Dr Destiny 3-Pack?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:29 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Would expect that to be the last one released as the card art will have to be re-worked for that particular set. Would guess sometime in the Nov-Jan range.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:37 am 
Aspires to be #1

If they stick to schedule it'll be December.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:08 am 
my tummy itches

Last. Think of it as perfect timing. The last pack because it's the best one, and because they have to rework the box art. It shouldn't be too lone for the box because they are just flipping a few names out and putting some in, changing pictures, and the description. But they have to shape the bubble for new characters which will be a nightmare. As long as I get it though. Probably given the circumstances nov-Jan.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:58 am 
3 3/4"

So when do the others go on sale? I thought Mattel had mentioned summer when they were first telling us that these packs would be available.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:38 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

one per month starting in July

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:15 pm 
my tummy itches

Yeah. Thank god.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:50 pm 
Cold-cast

They should release all 6 in a standard jlu retail case and save us the shipping and torture of getting them one at a time for 6 months. They are probably thinking let's get the JLU fans shopping for 6 months and perhaps they will buy something else.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:44 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Zim wrote:
They should release all 6 in a standard jlu retail case and save us the shipping and torture of getting them one at a time for 6 months. They are probably thinking let's get the JLU fans shopping for 6 months and perhaps they will buy something else.

Can Mattel do ANYTHING right for some people?

Frankly, I'm just happy to be getting these at all especially at the $30 price point. Shipping charges will sting a bit but I bet Mattel knows better than anyone that if they offered these all at once in one big package people would balk at the price.

Not everything is a gigantic conspiracy with Mattel.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:24 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Quote:
Frankly, I'm just happy to be getting these at all especially at the $30 price point. Shipping charges will sting a bit but I bet Mattel knows better than anyone that if they offered these all at once in one big package people would balk at the price.

I second this. And while it would be nice to wrap this JL thing up once and for all, I'd rather space the purchases out that explain to my wife why I've got to drop $180 plus shipping all at one time. Yes, it's more expensive, but I'd still rather do it that way. Other people are going to pick and choose, and many would balk at buying 6 packs when they only want 3.

And from a business standpoint, I'm pretty sure both Mattel and Digital River make money on the shipping costs, based on how they've set things up in the past to prevent bundling orders. So separating the packs probably was part of the business case for releasing these. And whatever they had to do to justify this with the accountants is fine with me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:43 am 
5th Horseman

Zim wrote:
They should release all 6 in a standard jlu retail case and save us the shipping and torture of getting them one at a time for 6 months.

That would be a great idea that I'm sure many would take advantage of (I know I would). I asked if they would do something like this in the last "Ask Matty" and they responded that they only plan on shipping them monthly. I personally find that to be the most annoying way to buy figures online, but there is sadly no alternative. The full $180 really isn't so much money that I think people would balk; the Legion of Superheroes 12 pack sold out fast and cost more than that. A lot of people like to buy a bunch of cool figures in one fell swoop!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:53 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

If it was one big case all at once deal, I would be out. I just can't swing it. Just like I couldn't for the LSH box set (and that is still a sore spot with me as I REALLY want them and now, most likely have to resort ot even higher final prices on eBay).

I like the monthly release idea, but dread having to go through the awful DR/Matty site to get them. I asked and would've been very happy with a sub program that would guarantee me I get all 6, but alas, tis not to be. So, I'll be at my computer every 15th to get them until all 6 are released, shipping costs be damned.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:34 am 
Brand Manager

Well, to be honest, I don't know where I fall in this shipping debate thing. Like in life, you win some and you lose some.

For instance... if we'd had a subscription, then we might have gotten one of the 3-packs as a Club Exclusive. Which would have been unfair to some. And we still would've had to pay for some extra shipping every month. More so if you wanted to buy multiples of a specific 3-pack. (Or God forbid, the Club Exclusive.)

As for the all at once option... I'll be honest, it can be a bit of a gamble. I mean, JLU Collectors are known for their sensitivity to price. And the fact that the Legion 12 pack sold through, doesn't guarantee that every expensive thing will sell through. "cloogleburst hoc ergo propter hoc" i.e. "Correlation does not imply causation".

As it stands, I think I'll be able to dilute the sting of shipping by buying multiples in some cases, DCUC figures on others and by coordinating my purchase with whatever sale (or event) they have planned for that month. Be it Comic Con, Mad Matty or Cyberweek. In the end, I'm sure that it will all work out. Besides, more often than not, Matty's greed ends up backfiring on them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:14 pm 
3 3/4"

I'd rather buy them all at once as well. I buy for myself as well as international friends/collectors so buying all those sets at once would save me serious money.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:45 pm 
Cold-cast

i personally am fed up with Mattel's antics. They have worn me out. I am grateful they are releasing them but what surprises me is that they clearly hate cherry picking yet they enable it. Perhaps they could have done 2 months 3x3 packs as they have in the past. The reason i suggested all 6 in retail case is also to save them money. Printing and making those white boxes probably costs them money. Money they could pass on as savings to us on top of saving shipping and assuring we get a full set. But we all know that they will end up being left with some packs which is why it would make more sense for them to bundle the most desired with the least desired. Honestly i just want to be done with Mattel minus SDCC. I can't wait for this to be over with. This is why i am fighting real hard not get sucked into YJ.