Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for April 2nd
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:09 pm 
Displays Backwards

This thread is bumming me out. It's like a Geoff Johns gripefest.

I liked it better when we were talking about being snarky.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:17 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

JQ3x29yz4a wrote:
I don't at all mind modern characters, I just would like ones that actually matter -- Secret Six, Kate Spencer Manhunter, Stephanie Brown Batgirl ... and wouldn't a modern Batwoman with classic variant have been nice?

All great choices.

How about some Grant Morrison?

Mike
(Too bad Grant doesn't collect action figures ...) :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:52 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I would love a DCuC Prometheus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:08 am 
declined to be a vampire

Van Statten wrote:
I would love a DCuC Prometheus

Hell yes!

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:27 am 
Collector Inspector

I'll take the Justice League 1 Million characters in any scale!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:43 am 
Joint Unfreezer

Those would make some great figures :)

Just please, no All Grant Morrison, All The Time :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:26 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

SDcomics wrote:

Mike

ANd see-- as much as you hate Johns-- I hate Morrison that much more-- I still think he should carry around a business card as the Man who killed Batman (at least for me). I really stopped picking up his comics during his run His stuff was even more unreadable than the new 52 stuff-- and dont get me started on his look how much more comic knowledge I have than you of something that went on 50 years ago.I think that just became his goal to make the comics as unreadable as they were back then...... . not to mention the New X-Men, or the god awful All Star Superman and everything else he touches

(although Maybe Im being a hypocrite when I admit I do like Prometheus- but an evil Batman that downloads his stuff like in the Matrix-- how can you not like him)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:01 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

tuning4k wrote:
I'll take the Justice League 1 Million characters in any scale!

This, times one million! I'd prefer JLU versions of them, but the DC One Million characters are long overdue in any toy line.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:53 pm 
Variant Head

SDcomics wrote:
JQ3x29yz4a wrote:
I don't at all mind modern characters, I just would like ones that actually matter -- Secret Six, Kate Spencer Manhunter, Stephanie Brown Batgirl ... and wouldn't a modern Batwoman with classic variant have been nice?

All great choices.

Mike

I second the emotion! I been begging for Prometheus and was so impressed we got him in Action League! Zauriel is must have, Amsodel as an oversized figure would look cool by the 4H! I hoped for Aztek but I think the #1 need for my Grant Morrison JLA is the 90s Huntress!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:14 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

stewbacca wrote:
ANd see-- as much as you hate Johns--

Okay, let me say this again (For the second time): I don't "hate" Johns. I just don't think he's a great writer and I don't think he should be in the position he's in. "Hate" is a strong word and it probably shouldn't be thrown around that much.

Quote:
I hate Morrison that much more-- I still think he should carry around a business card as the Man who killed Batman (at least for me). I really stopped picking up his comics during his run His stuff was even more unreadable than the new 52 stuff-- and dont get me started on his look how much more comic knowledge I have than you of something that went on 50 years ago.I think that just became his goal to make the comics as unreadable as they were back then...... . not to mention the New X-Men, or the god awful All Star Superman and everything else he touches

Well, to each their own. I think Grant is a brilliant writer. Whenever I feel like reading some really great comics, I always pick up his stuff or my DC Archives or Marvel Masterworks.

Mike
(Guys like Morrison, Broome, Fox, Kubert, Kane, Infantino, Lee, Kirby, Ditko ... far from "unreadable". Their stuff will stay in print forever.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:58 am 
Wonderdog

stewbacca wrote:
not to mention the New X-Men, or the god awful All Star Superman and everything else he touches

(although Maybe Im being a hypocrite when I admit I do like Prometheus- but an evil Batman that downloads his stuff like in the Matrix-- how can you not like him)

You had me right up until these last 2 sentences...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:59 am 
Aspires to be #1

How is All Star Superman awful? I really enjoyed that book.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:38 am 
Wonderdog

Just about the best Superman story I ever read.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:47 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

My 2cents...

Obviously you guys have read my opinion on Johns' influence on DCUC, and DC in general. No need to pontificate on that topic.

But would all us 'old timers' be complaining if the line hadn't ended so abruptly? Everything was chugging along nicely up until the SDCC announcement last year. Wave 17 & 18 were begrudgingly accepted, as we expected to get 'back on track' with wave 19, but then panic set in as fans realized that not only was the line ending, but also all these classic characters we were waiting for now will never appear at retail, and to some, those spots were "stolen" by some of the mediocre choices in those aforementioned waves.

Would the vitriol be flowing so freely if Mattel had announced that DCUC would be ending after wave 23, instead of wave 21, and added a couple of fan-requested waves that included Wally West, Flash Rogues, remaining Metal Men, original Kyle Rayner, hookhand Aquaman, Mera, Zauriel, Elongated Man, Perez Zatanna, Fire & Ice, Dimitri Rocket Red, etc?

I doubt it.

I think the Johns hate is equal parts his perceived meddling influence, and the line ending without getting many classic characters while including morts like the deputy Lanterns.

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:47 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

I kinda agree with you, but...

The Superfly wrote:
Would the vitriol be flowing so freely if Mattel had <insert anything>?

...I think the answer to that question is "YES!". I'm not saying it would be the exact same people with the exact same gripes, but the % of vitriol would probably stay pretty constant. Adult collectors + internet = free flowing vitriol. That seems more true now than it did 2 or 3 years ago.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next