Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: AFI First Look Metron and GA Flash
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:53 am 
declined to be a vampire

Let me ask this (maybe TG can answer, or Julius or something)...when was the idea of a sub first tossed around? Not when they offered it to us, but when did mattel say "hey, maybe we should do a sub"

Was this a possibilty PRIOR to the reboot and Mattel getting a short wind that their plans were going to have to change, or were they thinking of doing a sub to go along with DCUC before it all fell apart?

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:56 am 
Aspires to be #1

Bunger43 wrote:
Let me ask this (maybe TG can answer, or Julius or something)...when was the idea of a sub first tossed around? Not when they offered it to us, but when did mattel say "hey, maybe we should do a sub"

Was this a possibilty PRIOR to the reboot and Mattel getting a short wind that their plans were going to have to change, or were they thinking of doing a sub to go along with DCUC before it all fell apart?

The sub came about when they found out that WB/DC was going to reboot and force them to go another route. They wanted to get more DCUC figures to us and the sub was the way to do it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:57 am 
5" Scale

Bunger43 wrote:
What does any of that have to do with what I said? I wasn't implying that it was early. My reference to "early" was implied to mean "earlier than intended" Sorry if you didn't comprehend what I was saying. As a matter of fact, what you just said below is what I was pointing out: Logic should say if they got as far as they did, MAYBE they should focus on getting out the characters they said they would. Unless they've not told us, I'm not sure the sub was an option at that point.

Ok this is my last post of trying to talk to this wall

YOU SAID

I don't disagree, except that not every toy line that ends early (or ends period) gets a sub.

How the hell can anyone read that and not think you are implying the line ended early?

Arguing with you, is kind of like watching my dog chase its tail, its funny at first b/c she is never going to catch it, but then it just becomes sad and then i get bored

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:10 am 
declined to be a vampire

Did the line end earlier than we anticipated? And then does any line that ends early (or ends at all) get a sub?

What's so hard to get about that? Whether this line died after 4 waves or 40...when this was announced it was a shock, was it not?

You can always tell when someone gets their feelings hurt online...when they result to "making fun"

Congrats.

fball13z wrote:
Bunger43 wrote:
What does any of that have to do with what I said? I wasn't implying that it was early. My reference to "early" was implied to mean "earlier than intended" Sorry if you didn't comprehend what I was saying. As a matter of fact, what you just said below is what I was pointing out: Logic should say if they got as far as they did, MAYBE they should focus on getting out the characters they said they would. Unless they've not told us, I'm not sure the sub was an option at that point.

Ok this is my last post of trying to talk to this wall

YOU SAID

I don't disagree, except that not every toy line that ends early (or ends period) gets a sub.

How the hell can anyone read that and not think you are implying the line ended early?

Arguing with you, is kind of like watching my dog chase its tail, its funny at first b/c she is never going to catch it, but then it just becomes sad and then i get bored

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:12 am 
declined to be a vampire

That's what I thought. I wasn't sure, though, if maybe they were going to do a sub to get us more exclusive figures like they did the 2 packs.

j1h15233 wrote:
Bunger43 wrote:

The sub came about when they found out that WB/DC was going to reboot and force them to go another route. They wanted to get more DCUC figures to us and the sub was the way to do it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:22 am 
categorically opposed

Bunger43 wrote:
That's what I thought. I wasn't sure, though, if maybe they were going to do a sub to get us more exclusive figures like they did the 2 packs.

If they had had much lead time on the sub, there probably would've been some kind of marketing push on it.

The way it was handled (and the fact that the first three figures in it were supposed to be in DCUC waves) speaks volumes for how rushed it was.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:29 am 
declined to be a vampire

MoMoney wrote:
Bunger43 wrote:

If they had had much lead time on the sub, there probably would've been some kind of marketing push on it.

The way it was handled (and the fact that the first three figures in it were supposed to be in DCUC waves) speaks volumes for how rushed it was.

That's sort of what I got.

Which is why I said (and I agree with fball on the stance that 15+ waves isn't early in the pretense of the # itself...but I don't agree with him that the definition of early means "less waves") Mattell maybe should've been looking at some of the team finishing figures back when they were in the mid teens waves...simply because (as already stated by me and just about everyone else) toy lines don't typically last that long.

Mattel kept saying in Q&A's they planned on finishing the figures. The sub ended up being that outlet, but at the time the sub wasn't even on the table. So why not plan for that as you realize the line won't go on forever? That's simply all I'm saying. This isn't about changing out Killer Moth for Poision Ivy, or Blue Aquaman for Tin. It's about timing and placement as the line got older.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:44 am 
Aspires to be #1

Why would they plan for a sub at that point though? They told us several, several times that their DC online offerings weren't generating enough support (which is why the 2-packs died) and they get infinitely more money by selling figures at retail than they do online. There was no point for them to even attempt a DC sub until they were told that DCUC had to hit the bricks. People were asking for a sub for DC lines since the beginning of the MOTUC sub and they always said the sales weren't good enough for other online offerings. Really, the sales weren't even good enough for the sub we had. I think they just took a flyer on year one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:51 am 
declined to be a vampire

j1h15233 wrote:
Why would they plan for a sub at that point though? They told us several, several times that their DC online offerings weren't generating enough support (which is why the 2-packs died) and they get infinitely more money by selling figures at retail than they do online. There was no point for them to even attempt a DC sub until they were told that DCUC had to hit the bricks. People were asking for a sub for DC lines since the beginning of the MOTUC sub and they always said the sales weren't good enough for other online offerings. Really, the sales weren't even good enough for the sub we had. I think they just took a flyer on year one anyway.

I thought they made it pretty clear they fell short of what they wanted, but they did it anyways. But again, a sub, vs just offering things on the site stand alone are two different things. So I just wondered if they had toyed around with the idea of a sub before the DCnU reboot.

Which, if they didn't, to me, means they should've been focusing even more on finishing certains teams or whatever (mind you) that they didn't, because the line was starting to get old. I could be wrong to think that in certain Q&A's they said "yeah we really want to finish "X" team" or whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:38 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

What is comes down to is simply that hindsight is always 20/20.

Can we get back to discussing the actual figures we saw now?

I'm kinda meh about Metron as a character, but Jay hits it out of the park as far as I'm concerned.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:13 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Yes, Let's keep this conversation civil.

Mattel just recently said that they had less than 30 days of warning of the new direction before their comic con presentation.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:47 am 
declined to be a vampire

JuliusMarx wrote:
Yes, Let's keep this conversation civil.

Mattel just recently said that they had less than 30 days of warning of the new direction before their comic con presentation.

Thanks.

I think only one person in this thread hasn't been civil, and he said he wasn't going to reply to me anymore. So I think we're all good. :o

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:49 am 
declined to be a vampire

Shellhead wrote:
What is comes down to is simply that hindsight is always 20/20.

Can we get back to discussing the actual figures we saw now?

I'm kinda meh about Metron as a character, but Jay hits it out of the park as far as I'm concerned.

Exactly, which is why I think the way I do. Toy lines don't last forever. And while I think this line ended early (as in abruptly)...when you are 14-15 waves into a line that is already several years old, and you still have plans to maybe put out some more characters...might be time to plan on it sooner rather than later, simply because (and now we have it confirmed) there wasn't a sub option on the table to finish some of those planned characters.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:59 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

As I get more JSA viable figures, I thought I'd take a group shot!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7