Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beware The Batman (BTB) 2013 Toys
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:23 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Ok I may be one of the few people who is happy that we could get some different figures out of this series. I would love to get the Circus of the Strange, Magpie, Anarky ( all who are going to be in the series ). Just because they say that they are not going with the Joker doesn't mean forever. In Batman The Brave and the Bold they said they would not be using the main Batman villains, then came season 2 and they started using them.

Now as far as the action figures go, it they fit in with the Batman TAS and JLU then I will get them, if not than I may pass. I hate that Mattel does different sizes for evey line-up they release. I will miss the YJ line, but that is what customizers are for.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:34 pm 
5" Scale

You know what, I said the same thing about The Batman and Brave and the Bold and ended up loving those shows by the end. While it is unfortunate that they can't do a DC Showcase kind of show it kind of makes sense they keep coming back to Batman. Clearly he's the one consistently making them money and getting butts in the seats when he's on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:25 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

I'll be watching. "The Batman" was absolutely awful in its first season, but ultimately it improved to where it was a pretty decent show. It was no BTAS, but the final two seasons were good stuff. I like different takes on Batman -- the character really lends itself to it. I file them in my head under "Elseworlds" and sit back and enjoy (if possible). Batman: Brave and the Bold was really good, though it took me a while to adapt to that Silver Age mindset.

As far as figures go, if I like the show, I'll buy the figures. If not, well, probably not unless they fit with one of my existing collections. Again, I'll wait and see.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:10 pm 
Brand Manager

j1h15233 wrote:
I'd love to see a Flash animated series.

superfriend wrote:
red Ricky wrote:
Yes. A Flash series or a Captain Marvel series by Bruce Timm would be all kinds of wonderful.

Why does it need to be from Bruce Timm?

The Clash. Flash & Substance. The Great Brain Robbery.

He is, for me, one of the few writers that "got" Wally West and Billy Batson. Two characters that are very hard to write on account that they can be both funny and deep; whimsical and smart. Case in point, Bruce Timm's use of Captain Marvel. His Billy Batson told the Justice League off and delivered one of the best speeches I've heard in a cartoon. And he did it to Superman's face. Young Justice's CM, on the other hand, is written as way younger than he really is and had his membership called into question after saving the Justice League's bacon. The real Captain Marvel would've told the disrespecting Just-Us-League "sorry, but I don't need you." He also would've questioned why there was a duty for him to share his Secret Identity with the rest of the Team when it is clear that the rest of the group is not sharing their secret identities with each other or Young Justice.

Look, I know that fans love conflict. And must have thought that scene was awesome. But the Justice League is not supposed to be the Jersey Shore. Their membership drives are not supposed to end with the team almost disbanding. That, I believe, is how high-school teenagers behave.

And as far as people citing "The Batman" as an example of how a show started bad, but turned good... well, they are missing the big picture. Which was that the show started being good when it stopped trying to be something that it wasn't. So yeah... the moment "The Batman" became more like Batman; and did away with Bennett, Yin and Chief Rojas in favor of Gordon, Batgirl, Robin and even Harley Quinn... it turned good. Which means that fans knew better all along. So again... gun-toting Alfred? Doesn't make sense considering Batman's views on guns. Katana in the role of sidekick? A waste of time and screen that should've been much appreciated if given to Cassandra Cain's Batgirl.

That right there shows how concerned I am about the producers knowledge regarding the Batman mythos. 'Cause the only reason I would shoehorn a character like Katana into the role of a Batgirl-like-sidekick (without using an actual bona-fide Batgirl) is if I didn't know of Batgirl's existence in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:37 pm 
5th Horseman

Few people love Cassandra Cain Batgirl as much as I do, but to play devil's advocate, maybe they thought that too many Bat-based characters waters-down Batman's individuality. Katana has ties to Batman from being in the Outsiders right? That whole period of Batman comic history is way out of my knowledge base, but it seems like with Katana they're pulling in some Batman-related characters that haven't been popularized in the past few decades.

I agree with you on The Batman completely. It started out weak largely because they both chose to stay away from the popular villains, and in fact had to because of various character embargoes. Still, you know I'll watch this new show to see what it's like. I doubt the changes will be as radical as we fear.

And yeah, Mattel will definitely make toys based on this. It's Batman! Of course they will!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:39 pm 
serves the Otter

red Ricky wrote:
The Clash. Flash & Substance. The Great Brain Robbery.

He is, for me, one of the few writers that "got" Wally West and Billy Batson. Two characters that are very hard to write on account that they can be both funny and deep; whimsical and smart. Case in point, Bruce Timm's use of Captain Marvel. His Billy Batson told the Justice League off and delivered one of the best speeches I've heard in a cartoon. And he did it to Superman's face. Young Justice's CM, on the other hand, is written as way younger than he really is and had his membership called into question after saving the Justice League's bacon. The real Captain Marvel would've told the disrespecting Just-Us-League "sorry, but I don't need you." He also would've questioned why there was a duty for him to share his Secret Identity with the rest of the Team when it is clear that the rest of the group is not sharing their secret identities with each other or Young Justice.

Look, I know that fans love conflict. And must have thought that scene was awesome. But the Justice League is not supposed to be the Jersey Shore. Their membership drives are not supposed to end with the team almost disbanding. That, I believe, is how high-school teenagers behave.
I completely agree with your assessment of the YJ JLA's membership drive. I thought it was incredibly disrespectful of Captain Marvel and made all of the Leaguers save Batman look like complete jerks.

You have an interesting point about Clash. I always personally thought Batman: The Brave and the Bold's first Shazam episode did better by the character but you are right about the characterization. But BATB's story was better for introducing the character to a new generation of fans. Yes, Clash was awesome, but I can't help feel as if Bruce Timm had a great oppurtunity to introduce the Shazam concept to a whole new generation of fans and blew it. But you're right that Billy's dialogue and personality was written better there.
Quote:

And as far as people citing "The Batman" as an example of how a show started bad, but turned good... well, they are missing the big picture. Which was that the show started being good when it stopped trying to be something that it wasn't. So yeah... the moment "The Batman" became more like Batman; and did away with Bennett, Yin and Chief Rojas in favor of Gordon, Batgirl, Robin and even Harley Quinn... it turned good. Which means that fans knew better all along. So again... gun-toting Alfred? Doesn't make sense considering Batman's views on guns. Katana in the role of sidekick? A waste of time and screen that should've been much appreciated if given to Cassandra Cain's Batgirl.

That right there shows how concerned I am about the producers knowledge regarding the Batman mythos. 'Cause the only reason I would shoehorn a character like Katana into the role of a Batgirl-like-sidekick (without using an actual bona-fide Batgirl) is if I didn't know of Batgirl's existence in the first place.

Yeah, the argument about people growing to love The Batman doesn't hold water because as you pointed out it didn't start even BEGINNING to improve until it started following the actual Batman mythos. Beware The Batman looks to be making the exact same mistakes and I don't think Glen Murakami learned anything from it.

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:10 pm 
Wonderdog

if i were to bet i'd guess this line will be in the same scale as the batman or the new batman line coming out soon or brave bold (5 inch, 5 poa) if i were too guess
the cartoon figures are always done that way

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:24 pm 
Cold-cast

And we have a teaser trailer!

http://www.gothamknightsonline.com/2012 ... r-trailer/

Looks awesome to me! Definitely want Mattel to make that that Batmobile...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:28 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

batfink wrote:

Meh---

doesnt mean it cant be good-- I just prefer hand drawn animation-- the Batman just looks off (the .5 seconds we see of him)--..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:42 pm 
Cold-cast

In my book, nothing will ever beat Bruce Timm's The New Batman Adventures. But this looks promising to me. CGI Batman had to happen eventually, and the mood feels right in this (short) clip.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:37 pm 
Mint on Card

Who is the voice of Batman?

I prefer hand drawn animation too and that's what I said about GL but I really enjoy that show.

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:39 pm 
Aspires to be #1

batfink wrote:

Nice bat mobile, but I can't say it looks awesome. There's really nothing to see.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:41 pm 
active in the community

Nitewing73 wrote:
Who is the voice of Batman?

I prefer hand drawn animation too and that's what I said about GL but I really enjoy that show.

Kevin.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:54 pm 
serves the Otter

comicbookreader wrote:
Kevin.

If this is true, I will be watching the series after all just for that. Kevin Conroy can make me forgive a LOT.

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:58 pm 
shirtless hugger

Fone Bone wrote:
comicbookreader wrote:
Kevin.

If this is true, I will be watching the series after all just for that. Kevin Conroy can make me forgive a LOT.

I don't think it is true. Conroy said Arkham City was his last Batman and the voice in the trailer did not sound quite like his.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next