Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: JLU Beyond
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:52 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

NoisyDvL5 wrote:
I've never understood the obsession with show vs non-show characters.

It did make sense to me when folks wanted show characters to get priority over non-show characters when the line was going, but after the fact I always thought it should be treated as one big DCU. The idea of phasing out non-show characters depresses me! I would've hoped that the tremendous success of the animated series would've led more folks back to the source material to find new loves there.

That would have been awesome.... in a perfect world... but over here in my neck of the woods the cartoon has fans. A lot of fans. Most of those fans could care less about the toys and even less about the comics. Which is sad in all honesty.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:55 pm 
Aspires to be #1

NoisyDvL5 wrote:
I've never understood the obsession with show vs non-show characters.

It did make sense to me when folks wanted show characters to get priority over non-show characters when the line was going, but after the fact I always thought it should be treated as one big DCU. The idea of phasing out non-show characters depresses me! I would've hoped that the tremendous success of the animated series would've led more folks back to the source material to find new loves there.

The non show characters are some of my favorite figures in the entire JLU line.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:09 pm 
shirtless hugger

Without insulting the people working on these new books, I wouldn't count on them being anywhere near as good as the previous Adventures comics. I remember picking up the mainstream Batman Beyond title and reading it through a bit and it wasn't good at all.

Kinda makes you wish they'd just supported the DCAU as part of their new 52 books, allowing for the Timm timeline to continue in a legit JLU book...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:09 pm 
shirtless hugger

Without insulting the people working on these new books, I wouldn't count on them being anywhere near as good as the previous Adventures comics. I remember picking up the mainstream Batman Beyond title and reading it through a bit and it wasn't good at all.

Kinda makes you wish they'd just supported the DCAU as part of their new 52 books, allowing for the Timm timeline to continue in a legit JLU book...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:30 pm 
5" Scale

Are the comics set in the Timmverse or is it just based on the premise? The answer to the question will determine whether or not I get them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:43 am 
Dog Squeezer

Fone Bone wrote:
Are the comics set in the Timmverse or is it just based on the premise? The answer to the question will determine whether or not I get them.

Depends on who you ask. The art is definitely not Timm-style. The stories... A few details here and there are changed. Enough so that those of us who know the Timm-verse backwards and forwards say "Hey, waitaminute..." But on the whole, it's obvious DC intends these to be an extension of Batman Beyond. I'm sure some more marketing genius said "Let's change up a few things so we can say it ties into the mainstream DC comics, too." They're trying to have their cake and eat it too. It's not the worst attempt to do so, but then again there's really no need to try and satisfy two audiences in the first place. I'm reading them, as it's the closest thing to anything left. (Aside from GL:TAS.)

C.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:32 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

It is JL Beyond NOT JLU Beyond. Just saying.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:55 am 
Resin

JL Beyond, to the best of my knowledge, is a digital comic only. To get it in print its the Batman Beyond Unlimited books.Which is an amalgamation of both the JL Beyond digital and Batman Beyond digital Just saying

Marvel Figures: Deadpool,just about any Deadpool

DC Direct Figures: New 52 Vibe/New 52 Catwoman

[/i][/b]Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:23 am 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

ian5555 wrote:
It is JL Beyond NOT JLU Beyond. Just saying.

JLU Beyond means beyond JLU with custom supplements, NOT the comic. Just saying.

AFi Positive Feedback: +198

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:39 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Should have clarified, I was more referring to the comic but now that you bring it up I do not think the Justice League is called Justice League Unlimited Beyond in the future either. I wonder what they went with JL and JLU instead of JL:TAS. JLU actually only refers to 3 seasons but I get why most people use it as you really can't just say JL cause no one would know what you are talking about.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:56 am 
Aspires to be #1

ian5555 wrote:
Should have clarified, I was more referring to the comic but now that you bring it up I do not think the Justice League is called Justice League Unlimited Beyond in the future either. I wonder what they went with JL and JLU instead of JL:TAS. JLU actually only refers to 3 seasons but I get why most people use it as you really can't just say JL cause no one would know what you are talking about.

When we do get glimpses of the future league, they just call themselves Justice League. I've never heard any official name other than that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:44 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Yeah, I guess using the term JLU Beyond identifies the team with the JLU show. Carry on :D

Post subject: Beyond JLU
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:39 pm 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

I guess you have a point if you never read the first post to find
out what the thread was about, so I will go back and make it clearer.

AFi Positive Feedback: +198

Post subject: Re: Beyond JLU
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:21 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

Here's my take...
I loved the cartoon.
I grew up on DC comics. All Star Squadron, Who's Who, JSA, JLA, etc.
I grew up on Super Powers.

To me, this was the best line since Super Powers, and they started, FINALLY, incorporating the second, third, and fourth tier characters I'd wanted all along. And they weren't these goofy Mcfarlane designs, or Total Justice (not bad, but not my cup of tea). They were simple, streamlined, and looked totally classic!
I watched the cartoon EAGER to see which new characters would be on, on any given week. Warlord! SWEET! Legion of SH! YES! Metamorpho! WHAM! While the rest of the DCU didn't make it to the cartoon, it would only be a matter of time. While the series wasn't prematurely cancelled, it really did have a lot of gas left in the engine.
But back on point. By bringing in all of these obscure characters, they left out a whole bunch (that all of you 'show only' guys and gals would have LOVED if they made it on the toon!), it KILLED me that we got frickin Warlord, but not Liberty Belle, or Uncle Sam, or Starfire, or Raven, or Deathstroke.
A loose comparison would be this...
If there hasn't been a good Star Wars line since the original. Then they bring on a Star Wars cartoon. And they bring on Luke, Leia, C3PO, Chewbacca, and that's it! Season after season you wait for Han. Nope. You wait for R2D2. Nope. Then you have the show's purists, saying we don't want R2 D2, we don't want Han. Then you have a poor schlep like me, dying for these characters, in this specific line. And you know that these guys that never saw a Star Wars movie would love it, they just won't watch it.
Personally, I've gravitated towards customs, and I have just about EVERYONE I want, I mean, I'm looking at frickin Fire Lad from the Legion of Subs at this point, I have everyone else. So I no longer have a personal stake in this, but you guys are the ones losing out. The cartoon is long over. But there is a wealth of comics out there that you haven't touched and it's like JLU times a billion. You are so missing out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:58 pm 
5" Scale

j1h15233 wrote:
When we do get glimpses of the future league, they just call themselves Justice League. I've never heard any official name other than that.

Actually in both Justice League series the team goes simply by The Justice League or "The League". It wasn't until the Batman Beyond timeframe that the League became known as The Justice League Unlimited or "the JLU" (as seen in Batman Beyond's "The Call".) Many people speculated when JLU the series was first announced that it was titled that way to tie into Batman Beyond and I think they were right. But that title was never actualy used on the series itself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next