Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Untitled Star Trek Sequel
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:47 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Star Trek 2's Writers Break The Story

Will Kirk's new mission be the Empire Strikes Back of Trek movies?

November 30, 2010

by Phil Pirrello

We still don't know what the story for Star Trek 2 is, but we do know that the writers have broken down what that story is.

Writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman sat down with The Los Angeles Times and did their patented "we know everything, not gonna tell you anything" approach to discussing the sequel's story details, revealing only that "we have broken the story, which is very exciting," according to Kurtzman.

The writers, working with Lost's Damon Lindelof, said they have consulted episodes of The Original Series throughout their process. When asked if the story's dramatic stakes will mirror those of The Empire Strikes Back, the second act of the original Star Wars trilogy, the writers remained a bit cagey but liked the idea of it.

"I don't know that we've ever thought of it in terms of a trilogy," Orci chimed in. "We thought of [Star Trek] as, 'How do we tell how this happened the first time and how do we free it so that it can go on forever without stepping on what came before.' So, if you were thinking of this movie as a second act, yeah, you would think of it as an Empire Strikes Back sort of story, but I'm not sure we're thinking of it as a second act. I can't speak for everybody on that, though."

Kurtzman hopes that Trek 2 will be a "good sequel", like Empire, acknowledging that the reason why movies like Empire work so well is "because they have such emotional impact not just on us as viewers but because they put the characters through the mill in a way that was so primal and visceral. So now [with the second film] it becomes about this family that's together... the thing that shakes them up and challenges them."

What can we logically deduce from all this? (See what we did thar?) Abrams' Trek is not a trilogy, per se. Orci and Kurtzman are very aware of audience expectations and want to deliver a great sequel and story when the movie hits theatres June 2012. That Kirk and his crew will be put through a ringer of sorts - and that maybe one of the rumored Original Series characters will play a key role in their conflict.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:50 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Abrams Chats Trek 2, Super 8

The master of mystery continues speaking mysteriously.

January 12, 2011

by Eric Goldman

IGN caught up with that master of the big and small screens, J.J. Abrams, at Fox's TCA party last night, during which time he dished a bit about his two biggest upcoming film projects: Star Trek 2 and Super 8.

Q: How is Star Trek coming?

Abrams: There's a script that's being written by Damon Lindelof and Bob Orci and Alex Kurtzman and I can't wait to read it!

Q: So at this point, you're not quite sure what's in it?

Abrams: Oh, no. I've been developing the story with them, so I know the story. But they're writing it and obviously I'm on the edge of my seat to crack the script open.

Q: Do you know when you might make the decision on whether you would direct it or not?

Abrams: Well, as soon as I get the script, that will be the thing. It's just difficult to direct a film when you haven't read the script, that's all. But they're hard at work, so…

Q: What can you say about Super 8? You're amazing at keeping secrets in a day and age when it's hard to keep secrets…

Abrams: I know. But to answer this question would go against that somehow! But I will say that we're hard at work. We're editing the movie. We have a very intense post schedule, so we're just scrambling. But it's exciting. I love our cast, so I'm hoping people like it.

Q: Kyle Chandler is a phenomenal actor. What was it like to work with him?

Abrams: Unbelievable! Oh my God… Kyle is the greatest. He's my favorite. I love that guy. I can't say enough about him. He had a very interesting part and it was a wonderful shoot with him. It was interesting, because I got to work with him in a way that I really like to work with actors, which is I like talking about what a moment is, but I don't like over rehearsing things. There are kids in the movie as well, and that requires a little bit more work. I don't like rehearsing all that much and I like jumping in. And Kyle, having done Friday Night Lights, that's all they do. So he loved it! And it was so much fun to sort of say, "Here's the moment. Here's the thing. Let's just shoot it." And he was like, "Great!" His eyes always lit up when it was about just trying it. And his instincts are so good and he's so crazy talented and relatable. I love him. I can't say enough about him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:30 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Star Trek 2 Reportedly Heating Up

The project is said to be coming along at warp speed.

February 28, 2011

The screenplay for the tentatively titled Star Trek 2 is almost complete, and according to a tweet from cast member Simon Pegg, "Word on the bridge is the new script is AMAZEBALLS and I cannot wait!!!!!"

The script is being written by Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof, all veterans of J.J. Abrams' productions. (It's not yet known whether Abrams will reprise directing duties on the sequel to his hit series reboot.) The Paramount brass are said to have been pitched the entire story and given it a thumbs-up.

TrekMovie, which points out this article at Screenrant, reports that "all indications are that Paramount is bullish on the Star Trek sequel and wants to get things going to ensure they make their June 29, 2012 date."

The site adds that "things continue to move in the right direction for the 2012 Star Trek sequel, and 2011 looks to be an eventful year for the film moving into to pre-production soon and then production, which is reported to be starting in August."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:47 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Star Trek 2's Warp Speed Schedule

Sequel to film this fall for a summer 2012 release.

March 28, 2011

Paramount Pictures has opted to push back its plans to shoot Moscow, the big screen relaunch of its Jack Ryan franchise set to star Chris Pine as the Tom Clancy creation, in favor of putting Star Trek 2, also starring Pine, on the fast track for a fall shoot.

Citing script delays on the Jack Ryan reboot -- which saw its screenwriter, Steven Zaillian, back out in the last few weeks -- Deadline reports that the Trek sequel will begin filming this fall in order to make its previously announced June 29, 2012 release date. That's a breakneck schedule worthy of X-Men: First Class!

The site adds that Paramount is still waiting for J.J. Abrams to decide whether or not he'll return to direct Trek 2.

As for Jack Ryan's return, Deadline says the "launching point of the film is one that gets a mention in Clancy's The Hunt for Red October, in the book and the original film that starred Alec Baldwin. It has to do with a terrifying helicopter crash that nearly killed Ryan when he was a 23-year old platoon leader in the US Marines. He was the only member of the platoon to survive. Insiders tell me that an okay version of Ryan could have been put into production this year, but the priority is more about launching a new franchise then filling a release slot."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:55 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

CinemaCon: Is Star Trek 2 Really Coming Out in Summer '12?

Source: ComingSoon

March 29, 2011

With so much recent attention and adulation being heaped on J.J. Abrams' upcoming coming-of-age sci-fi thriller Super 8 and Abrams out doing the rounds, it's surprising there haven't been more updates on the eagerly anticipated sequel Star Trek 2.

In a Deadline report about Paramount putting the Chris Pine-led Jack Ryan movie on the backburner to continue working on the script, it mentions that they plan on starting production on Star Trek 2 in the fall in order to keep its June 29, 2012 release.

Before reading that report, we had been wondering earlier if that date was realistic, since we figured Abrams will be finishing up Super 8 for the next few months, giving him roughly 13 or 14 months to film and edit and do all the special FX for Star Trek 2 in order to finish on time, which seems like a daunting task.

We had an opportunity to talk to Abrams earlier this evening so we asked him if he thinks that release date is realistic, to which he told us:

"We're working on the story. That's probably more important than the release date at this point, but at the moment, we're not going to change anything."

In the meantime, Abrams' next movie Super 8 opens on June 10 and the footage went over as well with the CinemaCon attendees as it did the New York journalists last week.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:15 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Star Trek 2 Licensing Photo

June 1, 2011

This morning, the Licensing International Expo hosted a special press conference preview of their upcoming Las Vegas convention. ComingSoon.net was on-hand for the event where License! Global also debuted their latest issue, featuring J.J. Abram's Star Trek sequel on the cover. Though the image has been making the rounds since late last year, the focus on the promotional end still seems to be on a Summer 2012 release.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:10 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

It could be Saavik. Remember, Vulcans age slower than humans, and even though Spock was "looking his age" toward the end, remember he is half human and that could play havok with his aging process too. Saavik however was either full Vulcan or Vulcan/Romulan hybrid, depending on your source material, and so just because she was a cadet doesn't mean she was 20 years old. Also consider, Kirk served as a junior officer on the Farragut while Pike was commanding the Enterprise for 5 years. Now Kirk graduated straight to Captain out of the Academy to an Enterprise straight out of the shipyard. Obsession and The Menagerie/The Cage have now never happened and Talos has not been discovered yet.

I did not like how they cheapened the Kobyashi Maru, I read the book version. It was much more interesting and dramatic, and would have used about the same amount of screen time.

An Orion in the Academy? Surprising, but not unpleasantly so. Again it conflicts with established continuity because Pike knew little of Orion women when he was on Talos, which would be inaccurate if they were members of the UFP and in Starfleet. Personally I would have liked it if she was an Andorian. At least from the books they are just as passionate and amorous, so it would work. Too bad she died.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:59 pm 

Trek Expo in Tulsa, OK, June 24-26, 2011. Featured guests include George Takei, Garrett Wang, Christopher Judge, Jewel Staite, Ray Park, Gil Gerard, Erin Gray, Richard Kiel, etc.
http://trekexpo.net/

for those nearby who might be interrested, and there should be dealers with action figures there too.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:13 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

J.J. Abrams Begins Production on the Next Star Trek Movie

January 14, 2012

Paramount Pictures announced today that filming has begun for the Untitled Star Trek Sequel:

Paramount Pictures announced that principal photography has commenced in Los Angeles, CA on the sequel to STAR TREK from director J.J. Abrams. The film will be released on May 17, 2013 in 3D. The 2009 re-launch of the "Star Trek" franchise by Abrams was met with critical acclaim and a worldwide gross of over $385 million at the box office.

Paramount Pictures and Skydance Productions present a Bad Robot Production of a J.J. Abrams Film. Returning to their posts on the Enterprise are John Cho, Bruce Greenwood, Simon Pegg, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, and Anton Yelchin. They are joined by new cast members Benedict Cumberbatch, Alice Eve and Peter Weller.

Based upon "Star Trek" created by Gene Roddenberry, the film is produced by J.J. Abrams, Bryan Burk, Damon Lindelof, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci. The script was written by Alex Kurtzman & Robert Orci & Damon Lindelof.

Jeffrey Chernov, David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Paul Schwake are the executive producers. The director of photography is Dan Mindel, ASC, BSC. The production designer is Scott Chambliss. The film is edited by Maryann Brandon, A.C.E. and Mary Jo Markey, A.C.E. The costume designer is Michael Kaplan. The music is by Michael Giacchino.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:46 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

It's about time, although at least we didn't have to wait as long for this as the Hobbit movies lol.

And welcome back SD. :D

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:29 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

First Set Photos From the Next Star Trek Movie!

February 24, 2012

MTV has posted these first two photos from the set of J.J. Abrams' next Star Trek movie that feature Spock (Zachary Quinto) and Uhura (Zoe Saldana) facing Benedict Cumberbatch.

The film also stars John Cho, Bruce Greenwood, Simon Pegg, Chris Pine, Karl Urban, Anton Yelchin, Alice Eve and Peter Weller.

The movie is scheduled for a May 17, 2013 release.

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:43 pm 
too much stick, not enough carrot

MORE!! :D Watched the first one again this week. For being a "reimagining" it's some dang good stuff.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:10 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

New Photo of Zachary Quinto as Spock on the Star Trek Set

by SuperHeroHype

April 16, 2012

MTV has this new photo of Zachary Quinto as Spock on the set of J.J. Abrams' untitled Star Trek sequel with a description that goes as follows:

Zachary Quinto as [Spock] filming an action scene for the Untitled Star Trek 2 Sequel. After first rehearsing the scene with a [Spock] Stunt Double Actor Zachary Quinto was then rigged to a wire in front of a large green screen and lifted to a height of 10 stories high then dropped at a high rate of speed as if he was falling. In the scene [Spock] is wearing a "Volcano Suit" and carrying an unknown piece of equipment with the Starfleet Emblem. A Volcano is somehow involved in this scene. The crew had a real fire burning off camera to catch the fire reflections on [Spock]'s "Volcano Suit".

The movie is targeting a May 17, 2013 release and also stars John Cho, Bruce Greenwood, Simon Pegg, Chris Pine, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Anton Yelchin, Benedict Cumberbatch, Alice Eve and Peter Weller.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:09 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Alice Eve "Heartened" by Star Trek

IGN chats with the starlet about the franchise and J.J. Abrams' upcoming sequel.

April 17, 2012

Alice Eve may be promoting her latest performance in James McTeigue's The Raven, but she's also been hard at work on the set of J.J. Abrams' Star Trek 2. And while she can't say too much about the hotly anticipated sci-fi sequel, she did mention her own personal ties with the franchise.

"The most touching thing to me about Star Trek is my grandfather, who's no longer with us, was a huge fan of the series in the '60s, and he would always watch it," Eve told IGN's Scott Collura in a recent interview. "That was kind of my only knowledge of seeing it. Of course, I knew of Patrick Stewart's work. He's a very well-respected actor. But no, I wasn't really familiar with [Star Trek]. I had seen J.J.'s, though, so I knew a little bit. I've obviously become more familiar with Shatner and those guys. There are some really sweet, touching performances in that series, actually. Sometimes I'm really heartened by it."

Eve also noted her enthusiasm for Abrams' interpretation of the material, noting that his Star Trek "managed to transcend the shackles of the genre... I think that's what they were probably always striving for. J.J.'s found a way to make the future accessible to the present. He's able to track the story of the heart through this very heightened and stylized, tactical universe."

Eve can be seen in The Raven alongside John Cusack next weekend starting April 27.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:21 am 

SDcomics wrote:
New Photo of Zachary Quinto as Spock on the Star Trek Set

by SuperHeroHype

April 16, 2012

MTV has this new photo of Zachary Quinto as Spock on the set of J.J. Abrams' untitled Star Trek sequel with a description that goes as follows:

Zachary Quinto as [Spock] filming an action scene for the Untitled Star Trek 2 Sequel. After first rehearsing the scene with a [Spock] Stunt Double Actor Zachary Quinto was then rigged to a wire in front of a large green screen and lifted to a height of 10 stories high then dropped at a high rate of speed as if he was falling. In the scene [Spock] is wearing a "Volcano Suit" and carrying an unknown piece of equipment with the Starfleet Emblem. A Volcano is somehow involved in this scene. The crew had a real fire burning off camera to catch the fire reflections on [Spock]'s "Volcano Suit".

Upon closer examination, that looks like either an action figure with a really good Spock sculpt, or a model figure with Quinto's face CG'ed in, and the suit looks a lot like Shatner's orbital skydive suit repainted.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next