Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Your Most Disappointing Purchase
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:34 pm 
MINT!

I found Marvel Select Cyclops at Disney Store on clearance for $10. I opened it minutes later in the car and was so disappointed that I marched right back into the store and returned. But I kept the Danger room display. I'm glad I'm not a completist.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:18 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

So are you saying you bought a package-- and then kept the part of it you wanted -- and then returned the rest of it-- exactly how is that not stealing-- or any worse than figure swapping..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:31 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

My entire over 200 figure JLU collection. As a late adopter, I didn't have to go through a lot of the pains that others did to get the figures. But in the 2 years I did collect them it was a royal pain in the ass. It started out as fun, but slowly became a chore. Between QC, distribution and cost, I just gave up. Selling my collection off (for damn near nothing), was one of the best feelings I've ever had as a collector.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:33 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I found the Young Justice 6" Kid Flash to be a letdown. I don't like that the blur effect slips into his back and not through another method so it can easily be used with other speedsters. Also the diorama is not that big for the price you pay at retail let alone what it brings online. The only saving grace is I've been able to sell these 6" figures to make up some of the money spent which means I've only paid 10 or so dollars for the display which I can live with.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:14 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I recently unearthed a Zoid I bought for some reason years ago.

I recall that being a pretty big disappointment at the time.

Never bought another one.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:09 pm 
Tis' but a pup

i think anything ordered online thats sent poorly packaged is the most disappointing thing that can ever happen and that has ever happened to me. Ive had a few things arrive looking like they were curb stomped into a tiny box and kicked to my house by the post man (remember the opening scene to the ace ventura movie ? yeah, that). So annoying, especially when its something rare that you paid alot for, some sellers just show total disregard for their customers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:09 pm 
Tis' but a pup

i think anything ordered online thats sent poorly packaged is the most disappointing thing that can ever happen and that has ever happened to me. Ive had a few things arrive looking like they were curb stomped into a tiny box and kicked to my house by the post man (remember the opening scene to the ace ventura movie ? yeah, that). So annoying, especially when its something rare that you paid alot for, some sellers just show total disregard for their customers.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:38 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

I think most of my remorse comes from either paying too much for an item that eventually went down in price drastically and became easily available...or waiting for an item to go down in price and become easily available only to have it not :roll:

But if we're being specific...hmm...I'm actually hard-pressed to think of a toy I bought that I later regretted.

Hmmmm...maybe some Disney Happy Meal toys? Because I used to go to the restaurant and ask for "the bin" and dig through them while all these other people watched me with terrified looks on their faces. Of course, I don't typically eat there, so I should have probably returned their looks and thrown in a "Really? You think I'M strange? Enjoy your all-natural, low-fat burger then!" for good measure, but I'm not that kind of guy...

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:35 pm 
active in the community

DC action league figures.I have about 6 of them.My complaint isn't the quality,its the availaibilty.Theres been no follow through with where I can purchase these.I really wanted a Capt. Marvel,and many others such as Power girl,Supergirl, etc, to be made.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:40 am 
Wonderdog

2010 - a Hot Wheels series I wanted so bad that I ordered a case subscription since I wanted every issue. It started out as 35 different models, in 3 different color schemes each.

-First they reduced it to 25 models
-then they reduced it to 2 different color schemes
-the case packouts SUCKED major ****s, and I had so many dups that were very difficult to get rid of
-then the kicker: 4 models would NOT have the 2nd color scheme, so it was like an incomplete set :evil: :roll:

$50 per case, 13 cases, 1 pissed collector. Never again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:23 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I bought a Dark Knight Returns 4 pack yesterday at Hastings. Comes with Batman, Superman, Joker and Carrie Kelly as Robin. Ive never seen one in stores and blew $60 on it. I was pumped until I got it home and opened it. Theyre nice figures and all but theres very little articulation. It comes with 4 sidewalk squares/stands that snap together. None of them will stand on their own and placed on the stands takes up alot of room. Wouldnt mind having only the Batman but I really regret buying this set.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:23 am 
ABS

Black Vulcan. Didn't like neither the buck choice nor the paint job (neck & torso area shouldn't have been black). If it looked like the image on the back, I would've been extremely pleased.

Being a huge Super Friends fan, this was the biggest disappointment.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:00 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Shellhead wrote:
My most recent buyer's remorse was buying the 8 inch Tigra and Lion-o.

Since we're most likely never getting the rest of the team. :(

Seconded. Don't get me wrong, I love these figures but I expected to get more than just two characters. Bandai dropped the ball big time with Thundercats. :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:10 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

The 18" Alien by NECA. It was such an amazing looking figure...I ordered one from CSC, and after I opened it both an elbow and a knee snapped when I tried to pose it. I sent it back, got my money back (since they didn't have any more), went to a local place and got one...and had the exact same thing happen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:50 am 
shirtless hugger

I've got a few. The first goes way back, too. The DC Direct Planetary figures. I got them and was horrified to find out they had almost no articulation. I think their arms moved. They were basically statues. Up to that point, I had been a pretty regular DC Direct buyer, but I pretty much stopped with that. A couple years later, I sold off all my DC Direct. I've bought the occasional figure from them since then, but usually at clearance and because I wanted the accessories or pieces of the figure for customizing.

The second was the DC Universe Clayface, the one where the arms were made of some flimsy goo. I opened the package, and a couple of the fingers stuck to the plastic blister, and half his hand tore off. Again, I'd been a pretty regular buyer of that line up to that point, but I just stopped and sold off the stuff I'd bought up to that point. Again, I've bought a few clearance figures since then because I wanted accessories, but that's it.

I dropped Marvel Legends after one figure's arm snapped off. I don't even remember the figure, but it was pretty hard-to-find, if not a chase figure. Sold all them off, too.

I'm not very tolerant of crappy figures at high price points. Also, if a line involves chases and variants, that line starts off with two strikes against it in my book. I despise the very concept of it. So it only takes a little bit of aggravation for me to drop it. There's too many other things to spend money on.