Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Young Justice Thoughts.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:41 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

It seems that Young Justice is really kicking into high gear this season by including the league more and showing off a bunch of new members and new villains.

It's a shame the toyline was cancelled already, seems a little premature to me. But with the cartoon still on and getting better and better, is there any reason they can't re-envision the line and try again?
I know Mattel likes to say that animated properties don't sell, but I don't think that's totally the case. Yes, JLU is over, and it's run its course. But Young Justice? A lot of us were looking forward to this line, and a lot of us were unhappy with the execution. I won't get into the minor details, they've been debated in numerous threads. But I look at the characters released, and the characters on the show, and I keep thinking, I want them. I just don't want them in that Young Justice execution.
Maybe with the cartoon still in the early stages they'll reconsider. The cartoon is a hit, the figures were a miss. Not because there isn't a market for animated figures, but because they turned out figures that just weren't palatable.

Post subject: Re: Young Justice Thoughts.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:46 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Sorry, Jayson, but if they aren't going to be in "Young Justice style", then what is the point? Adding to the JLU collection?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:25 am 
We're going streaking!

Jim_Abell wrote:
Sorry, Jayson, but if they aren't going to be in "Young Justice style", then what is the point? Adding to the JLU collection?

Maybe "Young Justice" style is referring to the style of the current figures, not the style of the characters on the show?

I probably would have caved and bought the 4" YJ figures even overpriced if they were better executed. Instead, I bought four of the 6" figures when it was basically 2-for-1 at the Mattel Toy Shop.

But I am pretty sure the Young Justice ship has sailed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:27 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

Jim_Abell wrote:

No, that's not what I mean. The Young Justice cartoon style is fine, but the Young Justice figure style that they released didn't cut it. I'm not saying to add to my JLU collection, though that's what I would do.
I don't think the YJ figures that were released were all that great. They had some of the YJ look, but they were too thin and the poses were too off. I think they could have done a much better job.
They can do a better figure and still make it true to the cartoon. The problem wasn't with the concept or cartoon styling, but the execution of turning them into plastic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:31 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

jzachery wrote:
No, that's not what I mean. The Young Justice cartoon style is fine, but the Young Justice figure style that they released didn't cut it. I'm not saying to add to my JLU collection, though that's what I would do.
I don't think the YJ figures that were released were all that great. They had some of the YJ look, but they were too thin and the poses were too off. I think they could have done a much better job.
They can do a better figure and still make it true to the cartoon. The problem wasn't with the concept or cartoon styling, but the execution of turning them into plastic.

I have and love the entire YJ line, and I still agree with everything you said. Well, except for the JLU part.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:23 am 
Brand Manager

jzachery wrote:
No, that's not what I mean. The Young Justice cartoon style is fine, but the Young Justice figure style that they released didn't cut it.

The problem with this hobby is that people act as if JLU and Young Justice are mortal enemies. They cannot entertain the idea of a mixed retail line; equal parts GL:TAS/JLU and equal parts Young Justice. And now, because of this narrow mindedness of peolple thinking that the proplem lies with the property and not the execution; there is no Young Justice and there is no JLU. Reminds me of what Henry Ford said: "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black."

Anyways, as far as style; I know exactly what you are saying. You want YJ in their original, neutral pose.

In other words... Like this:

Intead of this:

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:32 am 
Aspires to be #1

The neutral pose is such an improvement it's mind boggling that they ever put those stupid arms on them. The handful of figures that had the normal arms are the best looking figures that got released.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:56 am 
5" Scale

first let me say i love my YJ figures, but wow those prototype figures look 100 times better, I always hated that goofy arm

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:08 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

The arms never bothered me until I saw those photos.

Thanks a lot guys. :?

:wink:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:23 am 
5" Scale

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
The arms never bothered me until I saw those photos.

Thanks a lot guys. :?

:wink:

yeah someone made a bad choice lol

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:53 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

It's too bad they couldn't have just given them swivel wrist. If done at the glove line it's almost unnoticeable on most figures.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:21 pm 
5th Horseman

When I find the guy who said "Lets make everyone look like they are holding phantom dumbells" I'm gonna smack him. Seriously. I will smack him. Like in the old days. Walk up. Smack. "Good Day sir.... I SAID GOOD DAY!"

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:56 pm 
shirtless hugger

those goofy arm poses in addition to the price point were the two reasons I avoided the 3 3/4 line.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:26 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

WOW I had forgotten about the prototypes. Now I wish I had those instead of the ones I have.

I have a feeling we have NOT seen the last of the Young Justice/Green Lantern figures. I think we may see them next year under a new banner of DC Nation Collectables. At least I hope.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:02 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Thanks for the prototype pictures. I've been complaining about those arms from the beginning, and sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who thinks they're a problem. I can't believe Mattel ever showed them to kids. My daughter won't touch them because they "can't fly like that."