Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: SDCC exclusives revealed
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:09 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

All the exclusives are a big pass for me this year, which is nice, since they're usually pricey to obtain. The MOTUC figure just makes me laugh though...what a bizarre thing to make! Tank-head man...as a special 30th Anniversary exclusive? :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:35 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

While the exclusives don't scream "MUST HAVE!" for me in any way shape or form, I am still wanting to acquire the Tiny Titans set and the Polly Pocket set.

I would've loved to have had a Death figure if it had been in the standard DCUC 6" format and articulated. I have no use for "stactions", sorry.

Nothing that is offered this year is going to make me lose sleep if I don't get it, but there isn't anything that I feel I need to bash Mattel for either.

I'm glad to see they are trying something new, its just a shame that none of it appeals to me really.

Can't win them all, but I appreciate the effort none the less.

It's kind of like having that first real girlfriend who tries to be all nice and caring and bakes you a cake for your birthday not knowing that you are allergic to eggs and can't eat cake. The gesture is all kinds of cool, but it's still a fail.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:42 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

batfink wrote:
Unless you are a 5 year old girl, I don't see why you would be interested in the Tiny Titans / Polly Pocket stuff. And the Death figure looks nice, but doesn't really fit in to any line.

Im not five -- nor a girl-- but both of those sets are more interesting to me than most of the exclusives from Mattel in the past 5 years... of course those will be two of the items unavailable on Matty again after SDCC--just like the She Ra polly pocket set last year..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:31 am 
Variant Head

Well, this year looks like only my wife will be getting Mattel SDCC exclusives. Polly and Tiny Titans.

I really hope that they make a cool Batman Movie Masters exclusive figure. That way I'll be getting something too :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:31 pm 
shirtless hugger

I'm honestly just happy to save money for once. The only downside here is that I usually skip the Hasbro stuff to afford the Mattel stuff and now I'm looking back at Hasbro's offerings and going, "hey..."

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:08 am 
Hat Pooper

This is a first, no Mattel SDCC for me this year!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:55 am 
my tummy itches

Oh my lord. These look awful. Except death and I don't even want that one. Best SDCC exclusIves ever! ( hehe )

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:06 am 
MINT!

I want the Tiny Titans myself. I'm a big fan of Art Baltazar though.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:25 am 
my tummy itches

Yeah there's really nothing for me.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:48 pm 
Collector Inspector

Well, braid my hair in pig tails, because I want that Tiny Titans set!

Jim_Abell wrote:
The Tiny Titans are cute and I plan to get them but part of me wishes that they'd gone the DC Nation route and done the new teen titans from the shorts in this format/scale

Yeah, that would have been cool. Maybe next year.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:03 pm 
my tummy itches

If anything the tiny titans!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:42 pm 
MINT!

Not to dogpile on Mattel, but I am another baffled fan that just doesn't comprehend these fairly bad selections.

Vykron- Look, I get it...the Sweet trio is an homage to his designs that essentially launched this whole big beautiful line...the catch is...they just aren't great. Sorry. And I understand Mattel's desire to create an important 30th anniversary character, but this is lackluster at best. A fan demanded figure would have been a more palatable choice. Another poster summed it up for me perfectly when they said, "we don't need figures of every doodle that designers made for this line." Well said.

Death- At first, I thought it was a very clever in joke by the Mattel team...In the comics, everyone knows that Death arrives at the end...meaning: Now that DCUC has essentially finished as we know it, here is Death to wrap the line up. The sculpt looks great, base is cool, sure, we are missing an umbrella and top hat (Easy Zatanna repurpose)..but then the other shoe drops...IT'S 8 INCHES TALL!!!! Are you KIDDING with me Mattel? A "staction"? Who is has been asking for STACTIONS? SO, here we have a figure in an entirely NEW format...because what all collectors need are more HUGE toys to put in our tiny houses where we are running out of room. Blergh.

Polly Pockets- OKAY! We have a WINNER! Two years ago, Mattel gave us a Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Supergirl set...pretty cool. So last year I was expecting this set with Ivy, Selina and Harley...instead we get a delightfu; curveball of She Ra, Catra and Frosta...all looking GREAT. So well received that it sold out at the con. SO, this year, I assumed a Teela, Sorceress, Evil Lynn was a no-brainer...and then...I see this Gotham Girls set. Well, that's great...should be cool...and then upon further inspection it's apparent that Mattel has thrown out the traditional Polly Pocket design of articulated arms and legs and now we get pre posed pvcs. WHAT THE HELL?! WHY??? Seriously Mattel, is your goal to just aggravate people?

Tiny Titans- Adorable. I will buy this...although I would like to say that this SHOULD have been released 3 years ago.

The saddest part for me about all these exclusives is just the fact that Mattel has forgotten how to create a showstopper, nothing is a MUST HAVE.

And it's painful that although these lines are all cancelled, they didn't even consider doing figures for JLU, YJ or DCUC.

For God's sake...why wouldn't someone at Mattel have just made the decision to use Larfleeze as the exclusive? Package him with a GLomulus, chuck in a ton of orange constructs and call it a day. It would have sold.

Take that Toyman that EVERYONE has been asking for for YEARS and sell it single carded for JLU fans.

Appease disgruntled fans by selling a Zatanna Young Justice figure with a Zatara pack in.

And for the love of all that is holy...would someone remove their head from their butt and take that Superfriends Green Lantern jet, cast it in transparent plastic and sell a Wonder Woman with Invisible Jet SDCC exclusive???? Good LORD that would sell.

This is truly the last gasps of a worn down license in the hands of people who don't seem to care about it at all anymore.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:13 am 
Collector Inspector

Out of all the hand-ringing going on about Mattel's...well, everything lately, I do like some of the points being made here.

I presume these SDCC offers were in the works for awhile and they just can't turn around a Larfleeze with constructs plus packaging on a dime like that. Or at least they'd say they can't.

I am really surprised there's no Batman/Darknight or Arkham City exclusive. I mean, come on. Last year, we got a Movie Masters Kilowog that nobody wanted or cared about and should have been sold at retail, so why not a Batman/Dark Knight Exclusive?

I like the Death. It's a pity it's not in scale to DCUC but Swamp Thing really wasn't either. I'll be trying to get Death and Tiny Titans after the con on mattycollector (*shutter*)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:35 am 
Cold-cast

There is going to be a Dark Knight Movie Masters SDCC exclusive. TG said that it just wasn't ready to be shown yet. So at least were getting that.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:06 am 
Knows his stuff

Dude... your post made my eyes roll completely towards the back of my head it was that beautiful! :D

If I smoked I would lite one up. :wink:

Geoffdude

Ghost06 wrote:
Not to dogpile on Mattel, but I am another baffled fan that just doesn't comprehend these fairly bad selections.

Vykron- Look, I get it...the Sweet trio is an homage to his designs that essentially launched this whole big beautiful line...the catch is...they just aren't great. Sorry. And I understand Mattel's desire to create an important 30th anniversary character, but this is lackluster at best. A fan demanded figure would have been a more palatable choice. Another poster summed it up for me perfectly when they said, "we don't need figures of every doodle that designers made for this line." Well said.

Death- At first, I thought it was a very clever in joke by the Mattel team...In the comics, everyone knows that Death arrives at the end...meaning: Now that DCUC has essentially finished as we know it, here is Death to wrap the line up. The sculpt looks great, base is cool, sure, we are missing an umbrella and top hat (Easy Zatanna repurpose)..but then the other shoe drops...IT'S 8 INCHES TALL!!!! Are you KIDDING with me Mattel? A "staction"? Who is has been asking for STACTIONS? SO, here we have a figure in an entirely NEW format...because what all collectors need are more HUGE toys to put in our tiny houses where we are running out of room. Blergh.

Polly Pockets- OKAY! We have a WINNER! Two years ago, Mattel gave us a Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Supergirl set...pretty cool. So last year I was expecting this set with Ivy, Selina and Harley...instead we get a delightfu; curveball of She Ra, Catra and Frosta...all looking GREAT. So well received that it sold out at the con. SO, this year, I assumed a Teela, Sorceress, Evil Lynn was a no-brainer...and then...I see this Gotham Girls set. Well, that's great...should be cool...and then upon further inspection it's apparent that Mattel has thrown out the traditional Polly Pocket design of articulated arms and legs and now we get pre posed pvcs. WHAT THE HELL?! WHY??? Seriously Mattel, is your goal to just aggravate people?

Tiny Titans- Adorable. I will buy this...although I would like to say that this SHOULD have been released 3 years ago.

The saddest part for me about all these exclusives is just the fact that Mattel has forgotten how to create a showstopper, nothing is a MUST HAVE.

And it's painful that although these lines are all cancelled, they didn't even consider doing figures for JLU, YJ or DCUC.

For God's sake...why wouldn't someone at Mattel have just made the decision to use Larfleeze as the exclusive? Package him with a GLomulus, chuck in a ton of orange constructs and call it a day. It would have sold.

Take that Toyman that EVERYONE has been asking for for YEARS and sell it single carded for JLU fans.

Appease disgruntled fans by selling a Zatanna Young Justice figure with a Zatara pack in.

And for the love of all that is holy...would someone remove their head from their butt and take that Superfriends Green Lantern jet, cast it in transparent plastic and sell a Wonder Woman with Invisible Jet SDCC exclusive???? Good LORD that would sell.

This is truly the last gasps of a worn down license in the hands of people who don't seem to care about it at all anymore.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next