Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: SDCC exclusives revealed
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:34 am 
5th Horseman

Ghost06 wrote:
For God's sake...why wouldn't someone at Mattel have just made the decision to use Larfleeze as the exclusive? Package him with a GLomulus, chuck in a ton of orange constructs and call it a day. It would have sold.

Take that Toyman that EVERYONE has been asking for for YEARS and sell it single carded for JLU fans.

Appease disgruntled fans by selling a Zatanna Young Justice figure with a Zatara pack in.

And for the love of all that is holy...would someone remove their head from their butt and take that Superfriends Green Lantern jet, cast it in transparent plastic and sell a Wonder Woman with Invisible Jet SDCC exclusive???? Good LORD that would sell.

This is truly the last gasps of a worn down license in the hands of people who don't seem to care about it at all anymore.

THIS x 1,000,000

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:54 am 
Cold-cast

Get ready for future Mattel Q&A to say this:

"Based upon low product sales at SDCC and Mattycollector, we have learned that there just isn't enough collector support to justify making DC Universe exclusives for sale at future comic cons. Instead, Mattel will be focusing only on selling Masters of the Universe at SDCC in 2013. We wish there was more support for DC exclusives, but the fan interest just isn't there!"

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:23 am 
PVC

i am getting the polly pocket set for my daughter and that is all i am getting from Mattel. I was really worried about the amount of con money i was going to be bringing but this just freed up a huge chunk for me. maybe i will spend a bit more at hasbro instead.

Poor showing mattel. very poor.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:46 am 
Wonderdog

Ghost06 wrote:
Are you KIDDING with me Mattel? A "staction"? Who is has been asking for STACTIONS? SO, here we have a figure in an entirely NEW format...because what all collectors need are more HUGE toys to put in our tiny houses where we are running out of room. Blergh.

:shock: GOOD GOD... Does "Innovative new collector format" or whatever they said mean FREAKING STACTIONS?!!! If so, what a terrible idea. :shock:

Also, apologies if this point has been raised before.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:50 am 
Collector Inspector

Ah, staction. A perfect hybrid with barely any articulation to qualify as an action figure yet juuust enough to negate any elegance and power of a solid-cast statue. And to start off with Death! Oh, Mattel. You should stop trusting your braintrust. I think they secretly work for Hasbro.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:28 pm 
serves the Otter

funtime3 wrote:
I presume these SDCC offers were in the works for awhile...

I can think of at least one SDCC exclusive this year that wasn't "in the works for awhile": the Ghostbusters Zuul Dana figure.

We know for a fact that it was going to just be one of the GB subscription figures this year, not a con exclusive. So surprising everyone by suddenly throwing her in as one of the SDCC exclusive pretty much shows how lazy and half-assed this year's selection seems to be compared to the genuine creativity we saw with past year's exclusives such as DCUC Plastic Man.

The GB line is cancelled. We know that. So if they decided to just toss one of the final produced figures in as a con exclusive to get rid of her and be done with the line all that much sooner, then why wasn't the same decision made for some (or all) of the remaining YJ, DCUC, and JLU figures? Those lines are just as cancelled as GB is, and yet had several figures far enough into the tooling/production stages to offer as exclusives too.

It's really quite sad that this year breaks the five-year trend of really cool and unique DCUC con exclusives. It realy shows how little Mattel cares about continuing that once beloved line of theirs. Hell, I would have even settled for getting a few of those DC All-Stars figures we saw this year rather than potentially never getting them at all. They're definitely more appealing the rest of this sad lot.

Among this year's choices, I'll only be buying Zuul Dana. I would have bought Death too IF she was a DCUC 6" scale figure. But alas, others have already stated the obvious for why many will be passing on that particular "staction" figure. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:42 pm 
MINT!

Funtime3- In all fairness, we saw Larfleeze fully sculpted at NYCC in October of 2011...putting 9 months between NYCC and SDCC...

2011 was jammed packed with literally dozens of Green Lantern constructs...plus lot's of other accessories like the Metal Men's Pizza Cutter and Wrench. I think it wouldn't have proven too difficult for Mattel to cast those in orange plastic and use them for Larfleeze's weapons.

It seems pretty likely if they WANTED to give us a SDCC Larfleeze they could have...but for some reason, no DCUC figure seemed like a more pleasing option for them.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:30 am 
Collector Inspector

Ghost06 wrote:
Funtime3- In all fairness, we saw Larfleeze fully sculpted at NYCC in October of 2011...putting 9 months between NYCC and SDCC...

2011 was jammed packed with literally dozens of Green Lantern constructs...plus lot's of other accessories like the Metal Men's Pizza Cutter and Wrench. I think it wouldn't have proven too difficult for Mattel to cast those in orange plastic and use them for Larfleeze's weapons.

It seems pretty likely if they WANTED to give us a SDCC Larfleeze they could have...but for some reason, no DCUC figure seemed like a more pleasing option for them.

I know and I agree with you. I don't mean to sound like I defend Mattel. They always stress they need months and months of lead time and they can't turn things around quickly, but I guess maybe that's just for retail stuff.

I think we agree they just lack the imagination to turn around a SDCC Larfleeze. Maybe they still have retail plans for him? I bet most of us would be happy to get him in a plain white box with constructs in a bag (And Glomulus; He's in Tiny Titans and the Kyle Rayner series) but Mattel even says bags and boxes pose all kinds of logistical issues. I'm just guessing, with their schedule issues, they already budgeted for production and packaging for Death , Tiny Titans, et. and they just left all the DC All Star stuff in limbo for whatever reason. It's pathetic, they should have a DCUC offering. They had a DCIH offering (Starro set) the year DCIH ended.

Tiny Titans were relevant 2 years ago. Heck, You'd think they'd have something relevant planned , like a DCNew52 figure. Love them or hate them.

Despite their efforts and planning, I agree that these are half-assed compared to past efforts plus there's nothing exciting or eye-popping. I don't know what's going on with them this year. They've lost their focus obviously.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:55 am 
Loose, Missing Package

In all fairness, the DCAS line was only scuttled a couple months ago with the line shake up. The big problems with doing something that fast are getting the factory time needed to get product produced (and even if Mattel got it scheduled an order for a million baby bottles could get them bumped) and the time it takes to ship the product to the states (four to six weeks by boat) and get through customs. Right there you're looking at two months minimum even if everything was ready to go right now. And even though we've seen production samples, it still doesn't mean that he's gotten through all of the safety testing that's required.

We still don't know who the 4 figures are that will finish out DCUC in the fall, Larfleeze may well be one of those. Considering that he's "done" and they'll probably want to save any DCnU items for the new line I'd say it's very likely we'll see him in that final line-up.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:03 am 
active in the community

I thought they would sell the remaining Young Justice figures, oh well nothing for me this year!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:14 am 
5th Horseman

funtime3 wrote:
Ghost06 wrote:

I know and I agree with you. I don't mean to sound like I defend Mattel. They always stress they need months and months of lead time and they can't turn things around quickly, but I guess maybe that's just for retail stuff.

I think we agree they just lack the imagination to turn around a SDCC Larfleeze. Maybe they still have retail plans for him? I bet most of us would be happy to get him in a plain white box with constructs in a bag (And Glomulus; He's in Tiny Titans and the Kyle Rayner series) but Mattel even says bags and boxes pose all kinds of logistical issues. I'm just guessing, with their schedule issues, they already budgeted for production and packaging for Death , Tiny Titans, et. and they just left all the DC All Star stuff in limbo for whatever reason. It's pathetic, they should have a DCUC offering. They had a DCIH offering (Starro set) the year DCIH ended.

Tiny Titans were relevant 2 years ago. Heck, You'd think they'd have something relevant planned , like a DCNew52 figure. Love them or hate them.

Despite their efforts and planning, I agree that these are half-assed compared to past efforts plus there's nothing exciting or eye-popping. I don't know what's going on with them this year. They've lost their focus obviously.

Don't forget the whole JLU Hawkgirl, Jon Stewart, The Ray 3 pack that was just sold as a Comic Con exclusive at the last minute. This whole assortment is a big ol "meh" and a real misread for "what fans want." Its a shame. the fall out of this will be felt for years to come. I just hope they really are limiting the number of units produced. There will be many left over.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:21 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Jim_Abell wrote:
In all fairness, the DCAS line was only scuttled a couple months ago with the line shake up. The big problems with doing something that fast are getting the factory time needed to get product produced (and even if Mattel got it scheduled an order for a million baby bottles could get them bumped) and the time it takes to ship the product to the states (four to six weeks by boat) and get through customs. Right there you're looking at two months minimum even if everything was ready to go right now. And even though we've seen production samples, it still doesn't mean that he's gotten through all of the safety testing that's required.

We still don't know who the 4 figures are that will finish out DCUC in the fall, Larfleeze may well be one of those. Considering that he's "done" and they'll probably want to save any DCnU items for the new line I'd say it's very likely we'll see him in that final line-up.

Pretty sure it's DCnU Bats, DCnU Supes, Red Robin and Superboy prime.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:18 pm 
my tummy itches

I think the more I know about these exclusives, the more I will like them.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:24 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

You know things are bad when a fan like myself is more interested in the SDCC Hot Wheels offerings than the DCU stuff.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:43 pm 
We're going streaking!

Now that everything looks to be revealed for SDCC, I am attempting to pick up the following:

-- Bruce Wayne to Batman™ The Dark Knight Rises™ Movie Masters® Figure
-- DC Universe Tiny Titans (maybe, depending on price)
-- Ghostbusters™ Zuul, Gatekeeper of Gozer
-- Monster High® Scarah Screams™ Doll

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next