Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: Green Lantern Movie 4" Figures Discussion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:34 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Titan Speck wrote:
LordMudd wrote:
Agreed. As a customizer I just needed 1 basic female. I would have bought at least a half dozen minimum, and that just for myself. How many requests do you think there would have been?

CCC.

Or a female lantern in the 4" line. That would have been nice even as bad as the movie designs were.

Ok, as I only deal in small scale I assumed that was understood. Next time...

CCC. :oops:

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:05 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I know the posts on this topic - and the forum itself - generally represent the view of the adult collector. That said, with all the back and forth re: the quality of this particular line, I could not help but be struck by something powerful this weekend - kids in action playing with these toys.

I have six-year-old triplet daughters. They are, very typically, Barbie devotees. Still, they were in my "office" (aka Dad's toy room) and saw my crate of these open GL figures. They know NOTHING about Green Lantern with the exception of the fact that he is a superhero that Dad likes. Still, they asked if they could look at them and, within 20 minutes, EVERY figure was out and in action.

This was interesting to me in that I also have a full Marvel Universe 3.75" collection with a number of open figures out and essentially available for the kids that has gone consistently ignored. I always assumed they were ho-hum on these because they were "boy toys." After they were an hour into full-on GL play I noticed only Dr. Strange, a Hand ninja and the Hulk had made their way from the MU bin into the GL fray, both as bad guys (proof-positive the line sorely needed villains) and, oddly enough, Parallax ("Green Lantern's Beetle," as they called him) was one of their heroes because, in their words, "he can give Green Lantern a ride."

I did my own little bit of informal, unscientific market research as I got down on the floor to play with them. As we went back and forth I peppered in questions about what they liked, etc, and here's what I got:
1. My kids LOVE the constructs. They were constantly swapping them on and off of different figures and this is where the TRU and Wal-Mart exclusive sets were a hit and also where I see that additional Constructs with each figure or separate "accessory packs" not exclusive to any one chain may have been successful.
2. They like GL better than MU because they're "a team." I asked how they knew and, of course, because they all wear Green and they all have a Lantern symbol. It's easy for them to identify the good guys. Despite my adult affection for the villainous figures, kids still like good guys best.
3. My kids prefer the aliens. With the exception of the Hal Jordan they recognize, they left the humanoid figures least touched. Green Man ("Frog Man") was the hands-down favorite with Isamot Kol a close second. They didn't care for Hannu because "his arms don't move much." Seems even five-year-olds agree with the masses here.
4. My kids don't give a damn about the articulation or lack thereof (exception: Hannu). As I noticed the MU Hand ninja discarded pretty quickly I was told no one liked that "his knees are always falling." You can wedge a GL's feet in the carpet and they stand upright.

My takeaways: If these had been packed with an extra construct or two and packaged/marketed to the child audience, they may have been HUGE. Pepper in some flashy, easily identifiable villains and even more far-out aliens and my kids would be in Heaven. Even as they are, I try to imagine how a little boy actually familiar with the Corps could resist and what I come up with is a) price - at near $10 a pop new they were easily 30-40% too expensive for a parent to justify the value for a 4" figure and b) parents generally either disliked the movie or were disinterested and the heavy film association had to hurt. My kids have since asked if we can watch the movie together this weekend. I then wonder if a better-executed toy line may have helped ticket and/or DVD sales.

All that said, my clearance-priced GL Corps has been THE toy of choice this week, filling their time - and imagination - between dinnertime and bedtime while the $130 Barbie townhouse goes untouched. And, down on the floor, trapping Dr. Strange in a neon green bear trap while one of the kids bludgeons him with a spiked Mace from Tomar-Re, I feel more than a little guilty about all this "collectible" stuff I have mint-in-box on the shelves, all the worry I waste over sloppy paints and the time I kill looking for variants. I need to take it easy, open the room - and the boxes - up to the kids and have the fun that made me fall in love with this kind of stuff over 30 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:40 pm 
Cold-cast

LordMudd wrote:
Ok, as I only deal in small scale I assumed that was understood. Next time...

CCC. :oops:

For some reason I thought you were talking about wanting a Carol figure in her flight suit. I must have been more tired than I thought. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:32 pm 
Brand Manager

gogmagog wrote:
I know the posts on this topic - and the forum itself - generally represent the view of the adult collector. That said, with all the back and forth re: the quality of this particular line, I could not help but be struck by something powerful this weekend - kids in action playing with these toys.

I have six-year-old triplet daughters. They are, very typically, Barbie devotees. Still, they were in my "office" (aka Dad's toy room) and saw my crate of these open GL figures. They know NOTHING about Green Lantern with the exception of the fact that he is a superhero that Dad likes. Still, they asked if they could look at them and, within 20 minutes, EVERY figure was out and in action.

This was interesting to me in that I also have a full Marvel Universe 3.75" collection with a number of open figures out and essentially available for the kids that has gone consistently ignored. I always assumed they were ho-hum on these because they were "boy toys." After they were an hour into full-on GL play I noticed only Dr. Strange, a Hand ninja and the Hulk had made their way from the MU bin into the GL fray, both as bad guys (proof-positive the line sorely needed villains) and, oddly enough, Parallax ("Green Lantern's Beetle," as they called him) was one of their heroes because, in their words, "he can give Green Lantern a ride."

I did my own little bit of informal, unscientific market research as I got down on the floor to play with them. As we went back and forth I peppered in questions about what they liked, etc, and here's what I got:
1. My kids LOVE the constructs. They were constantly swapping them on and off of different figures and this is where the TRU and Wal-Mart exclusive sets were a hit and also where I see that additional Constructs with each figure or separate "accessory packs" not exclusive to any one chain may have been successful.
2. They like GL better than MU because they're "a team." I asked how they knew and, of course, because they all wear Green and they all have a Lantern symbol. It's easy for them to identify the good guys. Despite my adult affection for the villainous figures, kids still like good guys best.
3. My kids prefer the aliens. With the exception of the Hal Jordan they recognize, they left the humanoid figures least touched. Green Man ("Frog Man") was the hands-down favorite with Isamot Kol a close second. They didn't care for Hannu because "his arms don't move much." Seems even five-year-olds agree with the masses here.
4. My kids don't give a damn about the articulation or lack thereof (exception: Hannu). As I noticed the MU Hand ninja discarded pretty quickly I was told no one liked that "his knees are always falling." You can wedge a GL's feet in the carpet and they stand upright.

My takeaways: If these had been packed with an extra construct or two and packaged/marketed to the child audience, they may have been HUGE. Pepper in some flashy, easily identifiable villains and even more far-out aliens and my kids would be in Heaven. Even as they are, I try to imagine how a little boy actually familiar with the Corps could resist and what I come up with is a) price - at near $10 a pop new they were easily 30-40% too expensive for a parent to justify the value for a 4" figure and b) parents generally either disliked the movie or were disinterested and the heavy film association had to hurt. My kids have since asked if we can watch the movie together this weekend. I then wonder if a better-executed toy line may have helped ticket and/or DVD sales.

All that said, my clearance-priced GL Corps has been THE toy of choice this week, filling their time - and imagination - between dinnertime and bedtime while the $130 Barbie townhouse goes untouched. And, down on the floor, trapping Dr. Strange in a neon green bear trap while one of the kids bludgeons him with a spiked Mace from Tomar-Re, I feel more than a little guilty about all this "collectible" stuff I have mint-in-box on the shelves, all the worry I waste over sloppy paints and the time I kill looking for variants. I need to take it easy, open the room - and the boxes - up to the kids and have the fun that made me fall in love with this kind of stuff over 30 years ago.

That's really cool. Thanks for sharing. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:55 pm 
Cold-cast

if i had known 4, 5 and 6 walmart 2 pks would never see the light of day i would not have bought 1,2 and 3. Also had i known they would be a boatload of them and i could get the on clearance for half price i would not have paid full price. My wife is still mad at me about this. Should have listened to her.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:35 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Hey guys, this might be old news:

I was at Dollar Tree the other day and found GL figures I'd never seen before. They numbered from #16-#20, and included the "fallen Guardian" with a yellow manacle. I picked up the Gorilla GL for the adaptor piece. $1 was a fair price for it IMO.

Just a head's up if some people are still trying to complete their collections.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:10 am 

That would be Voz. Got him at Target some time ago at full price unfortunately. I did see boxes of the Saalak 4 set at a Fallas Discount.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:08 pm 

I saw GL toys at McD's today.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:32 am 

I got Razer this morning. He is definitely bigger than the human figures, but looks ok with the aliens. Adequate for a background figure. He is the only one of the McD figures I want anyway.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:44 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

For anyone interested, as of today eBay has what appear to be full sets of the Wal-Mart Guardians. All are loose. Single Chinese seller has eight sets of six and four sets of seven (looks to include Krona). A search of "green lantern guardian loose" will get you there. I really wanted to find em boxed but this may have to do for now.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:06 pm 
Collector Inspector

I've been slowly building that Parallax. Mix your 4-inch GL figures with some DCUC BAFS, some Mcdonalds toys, Action League and Infinite Heroes and you got an epic battle going on.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:16 pm 
ABS

gogmagog wrote:
For anyone interested, as of today eBay has what appear to be full sets of the Wal-Mart Guardians. All are loose. Single Chinese seller has eight sets of six and four sets of seven (looks to include Krona). A search of "green lantern guardian loose" will get you there. I really wanted to find em boxed but this may have to do for now.

Thanks a lot for the heads up! I just bought a set of 6... I really wanted the last three guardians and I don't care about the boxes...

I'm looking forward to have them in my hands...

Check http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14514 (New entries! - July 10, 2012)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:16 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

mentalpower wrote:
gogmagog wrote:

Thanks a lot for the heads up! I just bought a set of 6... I really wanted the last three guardians and I don't care about the boxes...

I'm looking forward to have them in my hands...

Just got mine today! Took just about three weeks from purchase to delivery but they're fantastic. Feels unreal to finally have the set complete. I've seen a bunch of these listed in past weeks - want to say all from that single seller - and wonder if this guy has an inside track to the unshipped stock (or if retail sets ever really got boxed en masse)? Regardless, the price was fantastic for the real deal and the small detail differences between all six (seven...) is impressive (I am way too pleased with Ganthet's ponytail). Now if I can only get over the thought of that yellow Sinestro...

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:02 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

funtime3 wrote:
I've been slowly building that Parallax. Mix your 4-inch GL figures with some DCUC BAFS, some Mcdonalds toys, Action League and Infinite Heroes and you got an epic battle going on.

This turned out great. I love this group that I would title Lantern Wars.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:57 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

First I have seen of unopened, packaged Guardian sets 4-6. Way overpriced, even in Canadian dollars... http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... SS:US:1123

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next