Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: AFi Interview with ‘Matty Justice League’
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:29 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

The goal here was to get to know who is handling retail now that Toyguru is alone on Mattycollector isle, correct? I really don't think that marker was passed. I assume we were all looking for some transparency as to whom is involved with running the line and some honesty about what's going on behind the scenes and what we can expect from Mattel concerning DC retail. However we start with a disclaimer that ‘Matty Justice League’ could be a number of people. We then go on to hear a little bit about the interviewees background which would be great if we knew we'd always be checking in with this person. What if the majority of the team under this moniker has never been to a con or seen a DC animated movie? The multiple contacts leads to the cognitive dissonance that we see in the Q+A's every month (including an increasing amount of typos). We had a great YJ question which was side stepped, a inconclusive reply to the Wal Mart question, and then just a complete non answer on the division of labor or the future of other toy lines.

What would I have liked to have heard about was the internal decisions going on at last year's SDCC, what the future holds for this supposed refresh of DC @ a 6" scale, how closely they are working with the online division, what, if any, figures will be salvaged from the canceled solicits, what are some of the terms from DC, Mattel, or retail, the list goes on and on. A lot of those things they may not be ready to answer yet, I understand. But what I'm missing from this interview as well as the Q+A's is just a little bit of humanity. This isn't a quarterly report to investors and we aren't children. The dudes reading this stuff are probably about the same age as the people making this stuff. If this interview started up with "Hey my name's Brian (that can even be made up), I'm here on the new DC retail team and I can't wait for you guys to see what we have planned." Even that little bit of humanity would be appreciated. Anyways that's my 2 cents. These fan interactions could help them gain a considerable amount of good will, they just need to take the Matty mask off and talk to us like a person, not a consumer.

Post subject: Re: AFi Interview with ‘Matty Justice League’
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:45 am 
Aspires to be #1

These new people have ZERO reason to offer us that. Look at the way TG is treated now and tell me what benefit you would see from the other side of this to open yourself up to this community.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:36 am 
categorically opposed

j1h15233 wrote:
These new people have ZERO reason to offer us that. Look at the way TG is treated now and tell me what benefit you would see from the other side of this to open yourself up to this community.

I'm with you 100%. Scott has had people actually threaten him and his safety in the past. Don't forget the crap that Danielle went through last year, too, with people demanding she be fired or step down. I'm sure she is all about keeping things more anonymous this go-round.

The kind of fan interaction that Scott has spearheaded is pretty unprecedented, and it's a double-edged sword in every way. They're brand managers, not appointed-forum-question-answerers. I'm sure that posting on the forum and talking to AFi isn't exactly in their job description.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:13 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Agreed. I'm happy with just about ANY communication at this point, especially when you consider Hasbro hasn't answered much of anything so far this year.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:23 pm 
5" Scale

If I worked for Mattel or any toy company, the last thing I would want to do is talk to "fans". we have some really crazy folks in our hobby and a lot of them are out of touch with reality.

TG gets involved so much b/c he was a fan first. Like him or hate him, he puts himself out there, most sane people would run like hell away from toy "fans"

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:33 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

I agree with everyone but the first post. And don't forget to add in the fact that TG's time spent on fan interaction is done after work in his spare time.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:50 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

MoMoney wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

I'm with you 100%. Scott has had people actually threaten him and his safety in the past. Don't forget the crap that Danielle went through last year, too, with people demanding she be fired or step down. I'm sure she is all about keeping things more anonymous this go-round.

The kind of fan interaction that Scott has spearheaded is pretty unprecedented, and it's a double-edged sword in every way. They're brand managers, not appointed-forum-question-answerers. I'm sure that posting on the forum and talking to AFi isn't exactly in their job description.

Agree completely. For the most part the fandom is filled with too many crazies who when you give them an inch they want a mile and somehow think they deserve and are entitled too any and all complaints and wants regarding action figures.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:55 pm 
5th Horseman

No one understands anonymity better than me, and it does get bad for people like Scott, whose name is out there and opens himself up to a two way communication. Everyone feels like they have a stake in his job.

HOWEVER, once you open that box, you have now unleashed a beast and there is a certain type of communique that the community expects, and I do agree that this interview did not, in any way, hit that or do anything to asway fears or mistrust with a line we all so love.

I agree that a bit of "every guy" speak would have gone a long way. Corporate PR is terrible at making people feel like people. But they also understand how words could be misconstrewed and taking out if context, so they always err on the side of caution.

I've been on the fence for months now, if I actually WANT any communication as I feel Im only frustrated every 1st and 15th of the month. I rarely hear good news or even frank clarity to our questions. And when reall issues -Stinkorgate- come up, they're typically answered and the info is disseminated out to the community. So I pose this to the group, Is it worth to ask questions any more of all we get is doublespeak?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:09 pm 
categorically opposed

AnimateTed wrote:
So I pose this to the group, Is it worth to ask questions any more of all we get is doublespeak?

The Ask Mattys are worthless. They were spread too thin before the Matty forum opened up, and now, half of the questions that are submitted for answers are answered on Matty's forums in between the 1st and 15th.

They can quit doing them whenever they're ready.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:33 am 

I disagree.

A lot of them are useless, but occasionally we do get a diamond in the rough. I wouldn't mind if they dropped back to a once a month deal, but I'd miss 'em if they were gone.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:46 am 
Aspires to be #1

Shellhead wrote:
I disagree.

A lot of them are useless, but occasionally we do get a diamond in the rough. I wouldn't mind if they dropped back to a once a month deal, but I'd miss 'em if they were gone.

Even the good answers, have already been answered on the Matty forums. Almost every day, I have 10-20 answers to read from the email digest there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:11 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

speaking of which, how do you get that email digest set up?

I don't spend time on the forums there, but I wouldn't mind seeing Toy Guru and now, I guess, Matty Justice League's responses in one nice tidy package each day /week.

I like the QnA more for the entertainment value than the actual content, but yeah, getting that one REAL answer or nugget of info makes it worthwhile for me at least

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:21 am 
Aspires to be #1

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
speaking of which, how do you get that email digest set up?

I don't spend time on the forums there, but I wouldn't mind seeing Toy Guru and now, I guess, Matty Justice League's responses in one nice tidy package each day /week.

I like the QnA more for the entertainment value than the actual content, but yeah, getting that one REAL answer or nugget of info makes it worthwhile for me at least

1. Log in to the Matty forums

2. Find a post by the user you wish to follow (ToyGuru, Matty Justice League)

3. Click on their user name

4. Choose the "Notify me of new posts by user" option

5. Set up how often you would like to see their responses

Once you do this, whatever email you used to sign up for the forums there will receive all of the posts they make between 3 AM one day to 3 AM the next.

I'd recommend the daily digest because there are days where TG will make 20-30 posts and if you waited for a weekly version, you would have hundreds of replies to read at once.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:03 am 

j1h15233 wrote:
Shellhead wrote:
I disagree.

Even the good answers, have already been answered on the Matty forums. Almost every day, I have 10-20 answers to read from the email digest there.

That might be true, but I don't have the time or desire to start following another forum. So I appreciate the "one stop shopping Ask Matty" provides.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:07 am 
Aspires to be #1

Shellhead wrote:
That might be true, but I don't have the time or desire to start following another forum. So I appreciate the "one stop shopping Ask Matty" provides.

I don't follow it either. I just get the emails every morning and see only the TG and MJL posts and if the topic doesn't appeal to me I move on.