Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Little Pony (Friendship is Magic)
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:26 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

1. You are arguing against a position that no is taking (or has probably ever taken).

2. Recognizing that there are differences between human biology and socially constructed gender norms has nothing to do with political correctness. You teach science, right? There is a ton of academic research into gender.

EDIT: why do you feel an apparently uncontrollable urge to be a turd-in-the-punchbowl so often? You hate JLU, but instead of ignoring those threads, you have to pop in with a turd-in-the-punchbowl comment in nearly every thread. You don't understand how males could like MLP, but instead of moving on to something else, you have to pop in with a turd-in-the-punchbowl comment that is implicitly a dig at gayness (you'd be "worried" if your hypothetical son liked MLP). You just can't help but be very trollish in threads about stuff you're not into. I would bet there are many other dudes on AFI who don't get MLP, but they just move on to something else. You're not adding anything constructive to the discussion when you do that--and I think you've basically said (on other topics) that you just like bugging people. I prefer to enjoy my punch without turds, so let's just try to keep turds out of the punchbowls.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:53 am 
AFA Graded

Haters gonna hate. :roll: :wink:

Maybe this might help.

This one's just for fun.

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

Last edited by An-Gel Sakura on Fri May 18, 2012 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:37 am 
Smack! Smack! Smack!

I find it annoying that so many people do not understand the difference between sex and gender. US society only takes into account two genders but gendering is not black and white. As xrmc20 said, gender is a socially constructed concept. Sex is biological and based on reproduction. There is a difference. Hormones do affect males and female differently but it is not an absolute determinate. Just as sexual orientation is more fluid than many would like to admit. Some cultures have more than one gender and many people in our society do not fit the norms perfectly. I am a male both in sex and gender and am heterosexual. Despite this, I do have interests and aspects that are traditionally feminine. You could say I have embraced the anima in my unconscious mind. And the actually show in question is not SUPER feminine. It has a lot of aspects that do go way beyond traditional femininity.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:50 am 
AFA Graded

Why is it considered, in some cases, sexy if women wear men's clothing, yet gay if a man wears pink?
It's the 21st century already. Get over it!

I'm going out tomorrow and pick up Appljack and if I'm lucky, Rarity.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:17 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Mostly, it's just a double standard, although I don't find women in men's clothing particularly attractive (with the possible exception of the sports jersey with nothing on underneath). Agree with you about the pink, though. That one's going away, though, with the younger generation. I see lots of male students wearing pink these days.

Look, I'm not trying to start a fight. You guys know I'm conservative (I'm not even in favor of guys wearing earrings for crying out loud :lol: ). I simply don't believe in the whole "gender is a spectrum" school of thought. So we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Enjoy your ponies, guys. :)

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:45 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Enjoy your willful ignorance, dude. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:30 pm 
Displays Backwards

An-Gel Sakura wrote:
Why is it considered, in some cases, sexy if women wear men's clothing, yet gay if a man wears pink?
It's the 21st century already. Get over it!
I'm going out tomorrow and pick up Appljack and if I'm lucky, Rarity.

I just bought a pink shirt online. Arrives Monday. But I don't wanna be gay! I mean, it's just not my bag.

Shellhead wrote:
Mostly, it's just a double standard, although I don't find women in men's clothing particularly attractive (with the possible exception of the sports jersey with nothing on underneath). Agree with you about the pink, though. That one's going away, though, with the younger generation. I see lots of male students wearing pink these days.

Look, I'm not trying to start a fight. You guys know I'm conservative (I'm not even in favor of guys wearing earrings for crying out loud :lol: ). I simply don't believe in the whole "gender is a spectrum" school of thought. So we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Enjoy your ponies, guys. :)

Okay, so the pink shirt won't make me gay. Phew. That was close. But I have an earring and I'm a guy. I've had it forever and think nothing of it. Shellhead, get over it, dude! Guys have worn earrings for hundreds of years! Look at Jack Sparrow!

But these are toys made for girls, you know? Bronies are guys buying the wrong toys. Could be worse, could be Bakugan I guess. I kid, I kid. And you don't think any of these Bronies are guys desperate for attention, "Hey look at me I'm buying girl's toys!" I think it's their slightly fruity way of rebelling.

I remember when I was a kid, the boys in the neighborhood pretended to be girls and our parents looked at us like we were insane. I couldn't figure out why until years later. Gender confusion can be a broogle.

I did buy some Bratz clothing once to dress up my WWE Divas figures. I guess you can do whatever you like, it's a free country. But if you think you can be a guy collecting My Little Ponies and not expect anyone to look at you a little funny, that's just insane.

Nothing worse than an overly sensitive Bronie - just cut off your twig and berries and be done with it. ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:34 pm 
Displays Backwards

And if you wanna talk girls toys, there is a thread about guys buying Monster High in the Mattel board. This gender bending is everywhere! Wild, wacky stuff.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:56 pm 
The Last Word

xrmc20 wrote:
Enjoy your willful ignorance, dude. :D
You say ignorance, he says conservative. Potato, potahto. Maybe he'll have a laugh about My Little Pony fans with coworkers at his private sector job.

Oh, wait...

xrmc20 wrote:
If you want some MLP/Brony gear, Mighty Fine has a bunch of cool/funny stuff: http://www.welovefine.com/41-my-little-pony
I already own six or seven of their shirts. I better stop wearing them, though! People will apparently look at me funny if I admit to liking the cartoon. :shock: Because all the cool, manly men enjoy touching and posing dolls of strong, handsome men with rippling muscles, right? That's how a guy lets other guys know he's rugged and masculine! Someone might think me fruity otherwise. The humanity!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:06 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

You know... I don't see what's so wrong if someone likes this cartoon... man or woman... I dind't bother reading the thread because well it's a lot of posts :lol: I don't care for My Little Pony but hey... more power to you... I liked She-Ra when I was a kid and all into He-Man cause she was He-Man's sister!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:46 pm 
AFA Graded

Well for a an long time collector of JLU, TNBA, and BB,
people seem to be less worried to see MLP in a women's collection.
But I wouldn't mind if guys started collecting MLP too. Just saying.

Just waiting to find Princess Luna now.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:47 pm 
AFA Graded

Maybe this might man it up for you gentlemen.

Strong language.
Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:13 am 
AFA Graded

The NY Toy Fair 2012 MLP.

I can't wait for the new ones. :arrow: http://loveiseclectic.blogspot.com/2012 ... estia.html

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:20 pm 
AFA Graded

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:15 am 
AFA Graded

Where are all the girls & bronies out there?

I got all the main characters in brushable from and now I'm checking out the rest
before the new ones arrive on the shelve.

Target is cheaper on 3-packs and 4-packs, $15.99, but Walmart is only $5 for the singles.

Single pack:
K-Mart $6.99
Target $
Toys"R"Us $5.49
Walmart $5.00

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next