Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: AFi Interview with ‘Matty Justice League’
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:37 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

j1h15233 & fball13z (aka the biggest contrarions on this board). I did not ask for this person's real name nor for him to become the lightning rod for Mattel's criticizm. I found the opening conglomerate disclaimer a bit insulting. If you're implying that Toy Guru and Fangirl 2.0 were harrased at a dangerous level (which I know nothing about), then the disclaimer makes more sense. However, why would you then spend multiple questions asking about this person's background if we may never hear from him again?

The main point I was trying to make is that there are a lot of fans out there who are hurt and turned off by the past 10 months of DC/Mattel. And if the audience buying their stuff is as small and frugal as they say, then they can't afford to lose them. I was looking for some straight talk from a person rather than a corporation and a few hints of thing to come. Something that AnimateTed understood

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:19 pm 
5" Scale

abuddah wrote:
j1h15233 & fball13z (aka the biggest contrarions on this board). I did not ask for this person's real name nor for him to become the lightning rod for Mattel's criticizm. I found the opening conglomerate disclaimer a bit insulting. If you're implying that Toy Guru and Fangirl 2.0 were harrased at a dangerous level (which I know nothing about), then the disclaimer makes more sense. However, why would you then spend multiple questions asking about this person's background if we may never hear from him again?

The main point I was trying to make is that there are a lot of fans out there who are hurt and turned off by the past 10 months of DC/Mattel. And if the audience buying their stuff is as small and frugal as they say, then they can't afford to lose them. I was looking for some straight talk from a person rather than a corporation and a few hints of thing to come. Something that AnimateTed understood

You can call me whatever you like, but I am just speaking the truth, go collect some other toy lines from other companies and you will see even less info coming from brand managers. TG is not a "normal" brand manager, he is a fan first and he enjoys talking with the fans. Other brand managers are just doing their jobs and no where in their job description does it say they have to come to toy boards and talk with fans.

Also no where in their job does it say they have to be fans of the lines they work on, which is why people were calling for Fangirl 2.0's job, b/c people said he didnt know what she was talking about.

The sense of entitlement from most fans nowadays is annoying. TG has been a blessing and a curse to toy collecting, a blessing b/c its so great to have a real fan incharge of lots of the toys we love, but a curse b/c now fans expect all brand managers to be just like him.

Again go check out all toyline websites and see how many Questions get answered.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:14 pm 
Aspires to be #1

How about that, we're contrarians! If only we had the approval of the almighty abuddah, then our lives would be complete.

It's also pretty ironic to be called that in a thread where everyone agrees with me.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:05 pm 
5" Scale

j1h15233 wrote:

It's also pretty ironic to be called that in a thread where everyone agrees with me.

LOL I just noticed that too

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:27 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

abuddah wrote:
And if the audience buying their stuff is as small and frugal as they say, then they can't afford to lose them.

The sad fact is YES, they can afford to lose them. Mattel makes near $700 Million in profit each year and has near $6 Billion in assets off selling to their main target, kids. I'm pretty sure the biggest toy company in the world will be just fine without us lol. We are and should be an after-thought to them and not a huge priority. That's good business to focus on your $$ making group (kids) and let's face is alot of the Mattel haters will whine and complain no matter what they do anyway. Some people are just never satisfied with anything. Would anyone enjoy that job with a bunch of people yelling at them because they didn't get the boots quite right to be cartoon accurate? Forget that.

The suggestion that a company should put all these resources into answering all our questions just to appease a few "small and frugal" fans is well pretty silly imo. I'm sure alot of questions will be answered at SDCC about where DC is headed with Mattel.

The only thing I'd like to hear from them is that they are doing a 3 3/4" scale to match MU but I do not see that happening :(

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:54 am 
Santos L. Halper

ian5555 wrote:
The sad fact is YES, they can afford to lose them. Mattel makes near $700 Million in profit each year and has near $6 Billion in assets off selling to their main target, kids. I'm pretty sure the biggest toy company in the world will be just fine without us lol. We are and should be an after-thought to them and not a huge priority. That's good business to focus on your $$ making group (kids) and let's face is alot of the Mattel haters will whine and complain no matter what they do anyway. Some people are just never satisfied with anything. Would anyone enjoy that job with a bunch of people yelling at them because they didn't get the boots quite right to be cartoon accurate? Forget that.

The suggestion that a company should put all these resources into answering all our questions just to appease a few "small and frugal" fans is well pretty silly imo. I'm sure alot of questions will be answered at SDCC about where DC is headed with Mattel.

The only thing I'd like to hear from them is that they are doing a 3 3/4" scale to match MU but I do not see that happening :(

A nail could not have been hit more squarely on it's head then with this response. I don't know if it's because afi members young and don't understand that this is a business, but it is. Mattel could give a rats that we the fans think the boots on a figure are not show accurate. They have to be focused on their bottom line. We complain a hell of a lot about Matty, but the fact that they take any time at all to speak with us is amazing and not the industry norm.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:36 am 
categorically opposed

Krypton1976 wrote:
A nail could not have been hit more squarely on it's head then with this response. I don't know if it's because afi members young and don't understand that this is a business, but it is. Mattel could give a rats that we the fans think the boots on a figure are not show accurate. They have to be focused on their bottom line. We complain a hell of a lot about Matty, but the fact that they take any time at all to speak with us is amazing and not the industry norm.

I don't think it has anything to do with age. In fact, I think most of the posters here at at least in their late twenties. I think it goes back to the entitlement that Inside Traitor, Texas Ranger, and, most recently Toy Guru have instilled in the collectors with their active involvement in the community. Hasbro doesn't have any interaction with their fans, and they showed off, what, maybe three new Marvel Legends figures at Toy Fair? We get to see five or six highly requested figures, and some people still demand more.

Biological age? Irrelevant. Maturity level? Bingo.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:45 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

MoMoney wrote:
Biological age? Irrelevant. Maturity level? Bingo.

THIS.

Times a thousand.

Trade Rating +55 and counting