Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The LOST JLU prototypes
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:27 pm 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:
Wow. Casmirs looks SO MUCH BETTER!

Yep. I wasn't ever a huge fan, but the original Darkseid never really bothered me. Then Casimir made his. Dangit.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:33 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

I have nothing but buckets of love and respect for Casimir...

...but I don't find the difference between the two versions revelatory. I like original Darkseid just fine, even if his shoulder pieces could have been a wee bit better. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:48 pm 
too much stick, not enough carrot

To each their own. Mattel obviously thought it was a problem, or they would have just slapped the Destroyer armor on instead of redesigning them completely.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:00 pm 
Aspires to be #1

whakojacko1976 wrote:
That's it exactly. In all fairness, I guess it isn't necessarily the articulation that screwed him up. It's just an odd sculpt job as it is. Destroyer Darkseid was a figure I never would have asked for. I thought he was great once they showed him publicly for the 1st time. And just like comparing Casimir's version to the original, once I saw DD, I couldn't stand the first one anymore. The original didn't do the DCU's biggest bad @$$ justice.

I love Destroyer Darkseid too. He pretty much made the first one obsolete unless you have an STAS display as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:44 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

I hate Darkseid's gaudy "back from the dead!" details, so no...for me the original is the better option.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:49 pm 
Resin

j1h15233 wrote:
whakojacko1976 wrote:
That's it exactly. In all fairness, I guess it isn't necessarily the articulation that screwed him up. It's just an odd sculpt job as it is. Destroyer Darkseid was a figure I never would have asked for. I thought he was great once they showed him publicly for the 1st time. And just like comparing Casimir's version to the original, once I saw DD, I couldn't stand the first one anymore. The original didn't do the DCU's biggest bad @$$ justice.

I love Destroyer Darkseid too. He pretty much made the first one obsolete unless you have an STAS display as well.

Much love for DD here too. Destroyer graces my Superman vilian display. The original Darkseid is in a storage box.

Marvel Figures: Deadpool,just about any Deadpool

DC Direct Figures: New 52 Vibe/New 52 Catwoman

[/i][/b]Image

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:07 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Jim_Abell wrote:
Dusty wrote:
Credit: Toynewsi.com Also Mods... let me know if I am not allowed to post pics from TNI here, as I cannot remember if we are allowed to. If we are not, I am sorry and will take them down immedietly. :)

MOD- Posting links to the pics is fine, hotlinking the pics directly into our forums isn't (though it appears that they don't allow hotlinking so they aren't showing up anyway...)

I'm fixing the post.

K, sorry Jim, and thanks for fixing it. :)

D.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:47 pm 
Aspires to be #1

DisneyBoy wrote:
I hate Darkseid's gaudy "back from the dead!" details, so no...for me the original is the better option.

I actually enjoyed that because they left it open for you to decide if Lex completely screwed up or if Tala took her last opportunity to get back at him.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:45 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

...by redesigning Darkseid's duds?

The only in-story reason that might explain why he looks different is that he somehow came back with Brainiac bits in him...but since it's never even alluded to within the story, I can't accept it. The whole thing was silly.

How was killing Tala supposed to allow her "energy" to resurrect a computer was that destroyed years prior in deep space? Makes no sense.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:53 am 
Aspires to be #1

No, by bringing back Darkseid instead of Brainiac.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:00 am 
Brand Manager

DisneyBoy wrote:

The only in-story reason that might explain why he looks different is that he somehow came back with Brainiac bits in him...but since it's never even alluded to within the story, I can't accept it. The whole thing was silly.

How was killing Tala supposed to allow her "energy" to resurrect a computer was that destroyed years prior in deep space? Makes no sense.

1. Count me in as one of those who love Destroyer Darkseid best. There's something special about him that I won't spoil because... well, let's just say I don't need the ebay competition.

2. As for what happened to Darkseid, the answer is simple... according to Kirby lore, "gods" don't really die, they go on to commute with the source and their bodies become part of the Source Wall.

3. Darkseid, Highfather and a couple of other gods (Gog from Kingdom Come/JSA) have been part of the Wall at some point or another.

4. Darkseid's new look was meant to be more "Kirbyesque", so as to reflect his communing with the gods, his transcendence and his increase in power. This time around, Superman would be no match for him.

5. Lex was trying to regenerate Brainiac from that small piece. Tala offered to transmute the piece. Instead... when she established a connection, she picked up someone's resonance. They both thought it was Brainiac's, but it turned out to be Darkseid. The being who had been hacking into Brainiac in order to gather the components to the Anti-Life Equation, and unlike Brainiac, had been (and was still) alive. The next step is easy... Darkseid simply escapes the Wall Source through the "channel" that has been opened by Lex & Tala. No malice there, just simple ignorance.

6. In order to fight Darkseid on equal terms... Lex Luthor jumps into the Wall Source, gains knowledge of the Anti-Life Equation, and unlike Darkseid, escapes the Source all by his lonesome. He then fights Darkseid after Darkseid has clearly beaten both Superman & Batman.

7. JLU's last season was "Lex Luthor's story". From a symbolic point of view, the last episode makes Lex Luthor, ipso facto, the King of all Villains. But at the same time, his whole reason for being, was to try and achieve "god-hood". He felt like a god when he became Brainthor/Luthoriac and wanted to replicate that. He wasn't able to "re-accomplish" that, and yet... by the end... he accomplishes just that. He jumps into the source. Becomes "a new god." And takes Darkseid back to the Source. Well, allegedly. But since the world doesn't end and/or gets remade in Lex or Darkseid's image; it's safe to assume they went back into the Source. At least until Bruce Timm says otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:04 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
DisneyBoy wrote:

red Ricky's comment pretty much sums it all up (Thanks red Ricky.) ;) But yeah, I still dislike the end season of JLU, the first two were better but still rather "meh" but the third was just a waste of my time. Anyways, I like the orginal Darkseid design too. But to each their own. :)

D.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:12 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

According to Dwayne McDuffie on his website Tala was the one who resurrected Darkseid as a final "Screw you" to the universe since she was about to die. I'm guessing his new duds were Tala resurrecting him using that part of Brainiac.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:23 am 
my tummy itches

mattels looked good, but casmirs shoulders improved the whole thing.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:25 pm 
serves the Otter

As much as the Darkseid done by Cas. is awesome! I still think Mattel did a good job with DS too, ;)

D.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next