Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mattel Booth Experiences at Past SDCCs?
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:59 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has experiences to share about the Mattel booth at SDCC, especially experiences from last year, 2011. It's my first time going to SDCC and I missed the presale of the only two things I wanted, the Scooby-Doo Mystery Machine replica and the Monster High Scarah Screams doll.

I'm new to the MattyCollector voucher thing so as I was checking out, the cart replaced those two items with the TDKR Movie Masters Batman and the Polly Pocket DC Villains set. I was so disappointed! I've heard it's generally hell to line up at Mattel, but it can't be that bad, can it? I'd really like just one of each. :\

I searched the threads for a topic similar to this one, but found nothing. Please feel free to share your stories! How early does the line start each day? If there's a line before the convention center opens, how is that handled? Is it near impossible to successfully purchase toys unless you get to the convention center at the break of dawn or earlier?

I've heard from a minority of people that say the Mattel booth is relatively easy to purchase from and a quick in and out, but maybe they're just magicians, heh.

Post subject: Re: Mattel Booth Experiences at Past SDCCs?
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:21 pm 
active in the community

It is my experience that it's fairly easy.No issues.It was the afternoon when I picked up my stuff.Its a three part process.Wait in line,then tell them what you want at the counter,then behind the counter to the left are the boxes.You are given a tag for whatever you purchased to identify item.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:28 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Was the whole shebang: waiting in line, purchasing, and pick up done in one afternoon?

I'm afraid I'll have a hard time finding the right line by going up to the Mattel booth and tracing the line back, and in that time the line'll be full (capped, or so I've heard).

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:52 pm 
Daniel Pickett

The Hot Wheels have a tendency to sell out first so if that's a priority to you hit the line as early as you can.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:01 pm 
PVC

Some notes from my experiences at the SDCC Mattel Booth over the last few years:

Remember that the Mattel toy sales will almost certainly be hosted at a completely separate booth from the Mattel exhibition booth (typically toy sales booths are closer to the rear of the hall to allow for longer lines).

Typically, there is little need to get to the convention center at the crack of dawn for toy buying; you can't get to the booth until the hall opens. Unless you have an exhibitor badge to get in early, and lining up at a toy booth inside the room before the dealers room opens is usually not allowed.

Watch for on-site adjustments to how the toy lines are managed by Mattel's booth staff; you may be given a ticket or wristband, allowing you to return at a different time or day to line up at the booth to buy toys. You may need to go upstairs to the Sails Pavilion (near the autograph area) to collect a ticket or wristband to line up for later toy sales (Hasbro almost always does this).

Toys may sell out for the day, but not for the show. This information is usually marked on the board above the registers or near the booth perimeter.

Be ready with cash, in case of booth credit card machine failure. It's never happened to me, but be aware that it could affect your purchase.

Your badge may be scanned or stamped to record toy purchases and enforce item limits.

Availability can be hard to confirm with the staff, as they may not always know what is left at the offsite storage area/cargo trailer. Be polite and check back at the end of the day to determine what may be available the next day, if you miss something.

I have had good experiences with the Mattel booth lines, for the most part. Be politely assertive and ask questions of the staff to ensure that you know how the line is managed.

I seem to remember that the Monster High exclusives tended to last longer or not sell out before the "high-profile" toys. Hot Wheels do sell quickly, especially if they are less expensive.

Keep in mind that Mattel claims that they will be selling the remaining unclaimed preordered toys at their booth on Sunday.

Getting for one of each toy seems achievable. You aren't likely to spend more than two hours total in getting them. Note that you may need to make more than one stop at the booth, or get a ticket, and then waiting in line).

Make 100% sure that your order is correct and undamaged before you step away from the delivery window; those folks are almost always slammed and seriously scrambling to fill hundreds of orders each day. Mistakes happen, especially if there are two versions of a toy or a separate pack-in just for SDCC.

Finally, politeness goes a long way to improving the experience. I also enjoy chatting with the toy buyers in line near me during the occasionally long wait.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:41 pm 
MINT!

My experiences have truly been all over the place.

Most of the time there will be a line that will frequently extend dramatically around the convention center...make nice with everyone around you...it can only benefit you. Also, no matter how frustrated you may get or how long you stand in line, be polite to the staff. You may get the feeling that they are not as savvy about these toys as we are, but there is nothing more obnoxious than a jerk spouting off about everything.

Always look at the display board on the side of the booth to ensure the product you want is actually in stock! It's easy to get excited by the sight of a short line only to be bummed that the product you want is sold out for the day. Don't panic if it is sold out, there are allotments for each day. But Daniel is correct, generally the Hot Wheels stuff flies...and judging by the under 5minute voucher sell out of the Mystery Machine, you may be in for a little bit of a battle.

Be prepared for the rules to change on you...frequently. One minute they are allowing everyone to just wait their turn. THe next minute they may hand out "fast passes" and tell you to return later OR the next day. You may arrive the next day to discover that you need to go upstairs to the Sails Pavilion to get a wristband. It's literally a roller coaster at times to just make a sale. I've gotten to the booth right at open to find absolutely NO line whatsoever and been giddy with excitement, only to be told I need to go get a wristband upstairs which then placed me hopelessly behind hundreds of other people.

Here would be my biggest piece of advice, if you DESPERATELY want that Mystery Machine and the line is a mile long and you see it at a dealer table for $30 instead of the $20 retail...just buy it on move on with your life...go do something fun with your time instead of dancing like a puppet for hours on end and gnashing your teeth into paste hoping to save $10. SDCC is at times frustrating, but overall it's pretty wonderful and to save a few hours of your precious con experience for a slight mark up may be the best decision you make that day.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:56 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Go to the bathroom before you get in the line. I haven't been in a few years, but I remember being stuck for THREE hours one Thursday in 2008.

Oh, and bring a book or something. You'll get bored, especially if the people around you aren't particularly talkative.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:11 am 
Cold-cast

This year shouldn't be horrible as the exclusives are not overly desirable as they have been in the past.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:31 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Hope that they dont lose a whole shipping case full of their con only exclusive add ons- which was your whole reason for waiting in line in the first place..

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:12 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Ah, yes. The Gleek Fiasco.

Never before has a blue monkey caused such pain and suffering. :lol:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:53 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Shellhead wrote:
Ah, yes. The Gleek Fiasco.

Never before has a blue monkey caused such pain and suffering. :lol:

You havent rewatched any of the old superfriends cartoons in a while have you-- :wink: Some of those may be worse--