Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for June 1st!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:49 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:46 pm
Posts: 334
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for June 1st!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:24 pm 
User avatar
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:36 am
Posts: 8275
Location: Phoenix Metropolitan Area
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
Leave it up to a billionaire to buy the world some time --- Tony Stark

Trade Rating +55 and counting


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for June 1st!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:37 pm 
User avatar
Disney is not his cup of tea
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 2796
I keep thinking of Matty like the new Monopoly Man. You can land on Movie Masters and buy a franchise and you charge other players for their figures... oh I need sleep!

_________________
Trading Scores: +16
+4 Bunger43, +1 alcinde4, +1 An-Gel Sakur, +5 ProfessorK, +1 Nonnahir, +1 Toyman, +1 Justice Freak, +1 bnjmnrlyr, +1 Jim_Abell
My eBay Feedback


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for June 1st!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:29 am 
User avatar
Resin
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:53 pm
Posts: 390
Location: Massachusetts
AnimateTed wrote:
Q3.  What are those lessons you say you’ve learned from the performance of GL, YJ, Legacy and DCUC at retail?

A3.  Mom and kid interest is essential for a line to succeed at retail. If we want to do a collector only line, you will find that on Mattycollector.com

THATS THE LESSON LEARNED?!?!?!!


1. That's exactly what I thought. This isn't about moms and kids. This is about figuring out how to run a company in such a way that allows you to produce figures on a competitive level with other companies. Hasbro was releasing Marvel Universe figures that included accessories, had double the articulation, and seemed to cost as much, if not less than, Mattel's DCIH, which also suffered from poor character selection.

Rather than learning from that debacle that was DCIH, which failed not because of moms and kids, but because anyone, no matter who they are, didn't want expensive junk, Mattel went on to produced Young Justice, a line of virtual stactions that started out by excluding the most recognizable, main heroes like Batman, Robin, Superman, Superboy, Green Lantern, etc. from the first few waves and instead pumped out Captain Atom. Seriously? Captain Atom? How stupid can you be if you can't even learn from your mistakes. Mattel's retail failures has little to do with moms and kids and more about the company's disconnect from the toy industry and what consumers, in general, want and expect. It's about common sense product design and staying competitive in the toy industry.

2. No MOTU Power Sword, even as a collector exclusive only available on Mattycollector.com, because Mattel has a "no blades" policy? Are ****ing kidding me? Time for a policy change, or Mattel should just give up. Policies shouldn't shoot a company in the foot for no practical reason. It's unbelievable the things this company says and does.

3. Further proving their disconnect, Mattel explains that they didn't have a SDCC DCUC offering because they have the DCIE subscription now, but no one cares! Fans just wanted a cool exclusive. People don't care if it could or couldn't be released any other way. SDCC has always been an event where we get some cool new figure. Whether or not there's another outlet for such a figure is irrelevant. No DCUC exclusive is a let down, and Mattel should have known that it would be.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for June 1st!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:09 am 
User avatar
Wonderdog
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 703
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
Hey, they answered my question! Bonus points for a good answer that makes sense!

_________________
Greetings from Broca Beach!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for June 1st!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:15 am 
User avatar
Displays Backwards
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1188
Location: Alexandria, VA
GoldBlade6 wrote:
Rather than learning from that debacle that was DCIH, which failed not because of moms and kids, but because anyone, no matter who they are, didn't want expensive junk, Mattel went on to produced Young Justice, a line of virtual stactions that started out by excluding the most recognizable, main heroes like Batman, Robin, Superman, Superboy, Green Lantern, etc. from the first few waves and instead pumped out Captain Atom. Seriously? Captain Atom? How stupid can you be if you can't even learn from your mistakes. Mattel's retail failures has little to do with moms and kids and more about the company's disconnect from the toy industry and what consumers, in general, want and expect. It's about common sense product design and staying competitive in the toy industry.


I have to disagree a little bit here. I didn't think the DCIH was junk, I thought it was pretty cool. Sure, I would have liked them to better - better sculpts, better articulation, but I feel they get bashed on way too much here. They certainly were not as good as Hasbro's MU line - I would have loved it if they were.

As for Young Justice, it was a pretty cool line, but the prices were too high. If you are calling them stactions, what the heck are JLU? And they are loved here. I've seen people here badmouth Hasbro's MU line and praise the JLU. You can't please all the people all the time. To some degree, it's tough for Mattel to know what fans want and expect when it varies from person to person.

But you are right, Mattel is a very stupid company that seems to bungle stuff over and over again. They say the same crap, they make the same mistakes, and it's always our fault. And it seems like their newest strategy is to put out hordes of cheap crummy figures (see all that Batman stuff, some of which I bought - at least they're cheap).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for June 1st!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:18 am 
User avatar
Disney is not his cup of tea
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 2796
I think DCIH started out as junk but they did get better. I've seen an awesome Batman that came later as well as a Deathstroke that rocks like a MU figure. I even own the DCIH Atom to go with my DCUC one... and he seems nice! A bit lacking in articulation but nice. If DCIH was continuing today they might be on par with Marvel Universe figures as they just seemed to be getting better.

_________________
Trading Scores: +16
+4 Bunger43, +1 alcinde4, +1 An-Gel Sakur, +5 ProfessorK, +1 Nonnahir, +1 Toyman, +1 Justice Freak, +1 bnjmnrlyr, +1 Jim_Abell
My eBay Feedback


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for June 1st!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:22 am 
User avatar
Displays Backwards
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1188
Location: Alexandria, VA
AnimateTed wrote:
Q3.  What are those lessons you say you’ve learned from the performance of GL, YJ, Legacy and DCUC at retail?

A3.  Mom and kid interest is essential for a line to succeed at retail. If we want to do a collector only line, you will find that on Mattycollector.com

THATS THE LESSON LEARNED?!?!?!!

The list could go on and on.


Not "Don"t release Captain Atom in abundance in 3 different lines"

Yeah, he is a real peg clogger. I don't think most people even know who he is. We will be seeing his YJ figure for a long time.

Not "Don't over pack lead characters as they just sit on shelves forever"

But we need to pack in Superman/Batman in every one of our JLU 3-packs for the moms!

Not "Don't release cool accessories/vehicles that standard figures can't use!"

I don't know what you're talking about here.

Not "Take advantage of what makes the character cool and not try to make it a Transformer"

Don't really know what you mean here, either.

Not "Don't oversell wave one figures before the line has a chance to gain traction, so that the subsequent waves are harder to come by"

THIS THIS THIS a million times over.

Not "Don't make weird hands on expensive figures that can't even hold their accessories!"

Don't know what you mean here. Some DCU stuff?

Not "Don't make an entire wave of repaints based on comics that most of the collector community rejected and kids are unfamiliar with."

Is this about the Blackest Night figures? They sold really well for DC Direct. I bought the whole line from DC Direct - that's why I didn't get the Mattel ones. I think they saw the success DC Direct was having and piggy backed on it. Unfortunately, not a lot of people wanted to buy the same figures twice. But I do think it was a bit silly all the griping these waves got - would random Metal Men and JSA figures have lit up the sales charts?

Not "Dont segment your customers into kids/collectors as collectors will buy kids line if they are great and kids will buy collector lines if their great- just make great toys!"

Yeah, I hate when they half ass the little lines cause they're for kids. Don't they get that some of us like to collect the little figures more than the big ones?

Not "Toys that look cheap shouldn't be expensive?"

This was a problem YJ faced. And JLU. And I guess DCIH. But don't worry, they've fixed it. The Dark Knight figures look cheap and are cheap.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for June 1st!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:28 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:29 pm
Posts: 1540
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
When it going to sink in with collectors that retail HAS to have moms and kids? I honestly don't get the denial here no matter how many times Mattel and people here say it. They have to have them for a line to succeed and that is a fact not an opinion. A few bad case packouts and character selection like Captain Atom don't kill a line, not having your characters blasted at children all the time does.

Granted imo Mattel needs a action figure line like Marvel Universe at this point I am not sure exactly how it would do because quite honestly DC has failed at the movie theater with kids and Marvel has not. Until they get a Justice League movie series started like Avengers they will continue to fail imo with kids.

_________________
“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.” Thomas Jefferson

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for June 1st!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:24 am 
User avatar
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8541
Location: Rochester, NY
Its not that anyone here is arguing against having "Mom & Kid" interest, but rather the fact that Mattel seems to think that a line MUST appeal to either the "Mom & Kid" audience or the "collector" audience and never the two shall meet.

People keep putting MU up as an example of a line that draws in both "kids" and "collectors" at the same time.

And I agree, that is truly the best of both worlds and it repeatedly seems to be a world that Mattel just doesn't understand.

They (Mattel) used the GL lines as an example: 4" for the "moms and kids" and 6" for the collector. They stated that the 4" line was purposefully sculpted simply and with limited articulation to maintain a lower price point and stay attractive to the children that the line was "aimed at". Many collectors, myself included, take that as an obvious dismissal. Many collectors were very excited to hear that there would be a 4" GL line and couldn't wait to get them into their collections (especially after Matty told us that this line would show what they had learned from the then recent demise of DCIH). The GL 6" line was then presented as a line for "collectors". Unfortunately, this meant a much higher price point, a more limited audience, and, ultimately, the demise of the line before all the figures necessary for the included CnC were able to hit the market.

Matty absolutely told us several times in several forums that each line was "intended" for a different audience and if the non-target audience didn't like the execution of one they simply had to go and buy the other.

Sorry, that tells me that Matty just doesn't "get it" and that they clearly haven't learned from any of their past mistakes.

So, yeah, I agree that we need to accept that Moms and Kids drive retail lines, but it doesn't need to be so at the exclusion of collectors.

And if Matty tells me one more time that "my collector line" is available for me at Matty.com I will run him over with a bigfoot truck. I want a line a retail that I can buy for myself as a collector and for my son as a player at the same time/place/pricepoint.

Until Matty can do that, they really haven't learned anything (and it seems very clear to me they don't intend to).

_________________
"It's not perfect, but I'm kinda excited to have 'em" - Jason Lenzi.

Couldn't have said it better myself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for June 1st!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:33 am 
User avatar
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8541
Location: Rochester, NY
I'm kinda surprised no one has commented on this one yet from Mint Condition: go/to.cgi/http://www.mintconditioncustom.com/2012/06/02/ask-mattel-answers-for-june-1st-2012/

If Club Infinite Earths is our outlet to get an SDCC level of figure "every month" (as it says right in their very own answer), why are we getting figures with no accessories?

Yes, Metron is a perfect example of the greatness that CIE can be, but Jay is a shining example of a retail figure without a home.

Sorry Mattel, I know you are trying to spin this in the best possible way to keep up enthusiasm, momentum, and sales, but you will need to try harder than that.

If you want me to believe that every figure in the Club will be an SDCC style offering, I need to be given more. Simple as that.

And, since I'm calling you out on your BS here I'll keep it going like this...
MOTUC is a line that "can't/won't/whatever" succeed at retail and therefore stays to a online club exclusive format anyway. A format with several different skus and options to get just about any type of figure out the fans at any time you wish to offer it. Yet THEY STILL GET SDCC OFFERINGS.

Yes, I recognize that more people buy into the MOTUC sub than bought into the DC sub. Yes, I recognize that the MOTUC sub has had more time to build up the club fanbase and "guarantee" success for an item outside the norm at a con. Yes, I get it that an "in-house" property will give you much more leeway in terms of what can and can't be done than a "licensed" property will.

But your answer reeks of "damage control" and not sincerity.

_________________
"It's not perfect, but I'm kinda excited to have 'em" - Jason Lenzi.

Couldn't have said it better myself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for June 1st!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:25 am 
5th Horseman
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 786
BCYa wrote:
Not "Don't release cool accessories/vehicles that standard figures can't use!"

I don't know what you're talking about here.


None of the Green Lantern movie figures would fit in that cool Battle suit they made for him. You had to use the figure that came with the suit with it's legs fused together!? And the Jet that they made, had to use the fiugure that came with it as well. Two REALLY cool vehicle/accessories wouldn't work with figures from the line that they were for!

BCYa wrote:
Not "Take advantage of what makes the character cool and not try to make it a Transformer"

Don't really know what you mean here, either.


Again, Green Lantern movie line related. Why they came out with these figures that, in essence, transformed was beyond me. Green Lantern is all about using light as a weapon. Why not something innovative with lights!? Look at what the POTC line did with the black light revealing the bones underneath. Not the most successful line, but at least there was some innovation!

BCYa wrote:
Not "Don't make weird hands on expensive figures that can't even hold their accessories!"

Don't know what you mean here. Some DCU stuff?


GL Movie line again. The movie Masters figures had this weird hand which couldn't even hold the lantern that came with him. When asked about it in the Q&A we were told to "try it again!" That infuriated me. The hand was awful.

BCYa wrote:
Not "Don't make an entire wave of repaints based on comics that most of the collector community rejected and kids are unfamiliar with."

Is this about the Blackest Night figures? They sold really well for DC Direct. I bought the whole line from DC Direct - that's why I didn't get the Mattel ones. I think they saw the success DC Direct was having and piggy backed on it. Unfortunately, not a lot of people wanted to buy the same figures twice. But I do think it was a bit silly all the griping these waves got - would random Metal Men and JSA figures have lit up the sales charts?


It was, because think about it, if Mattel keeps saying that they need "moms and kids" not just collectors for a line to be successful, and collectors have already bought these characters from DC Direct (with UNIQUE SCULPTS btw), why would kids want to buy these characters in unfamiliar outfits? They just looked like bootlegs. Kids weren't reading Blackest Night. This made 0 sense!

ian5555 wrote:
When it going to sink in with collectors that retail HAS to have moms and kids? I honestly don't get the denial here no matter how many times Mattel and people here say it. They have to have them for a line to succeed and that is a fact not an opinion. A few bad case packouts and character selection like Captain Atom don't kill a line, not having your characters blasted at children all the time does.


I know perfectly well how lines need kid/mom support. I'm talking BIG picture. A kid doesn't know who Captain Atom is. And when you hang all your hopes on a "new line" like Young Justice on the SOLE adult in the first wave, and it's a character that didn't sell in the last two lines before to kids, then those in charge are insane. Seriously. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. What happens is they sit on shelves, and prohibit stores from ordering future waves of this line with characters that kids WOULD care about!

But my bigger issue is with the idea that kids/moms are separate from collectors. That's code for "Were just going to cheap out on this because it's for kids." The reality is money is the issue. A parent (or a kid) isn't going to spend a lot of money on something that looks cheap.

When you "segment your audience" you cut your profits in half. Why can't you do something to appeal to kids, that also appeals to adults!? It's not really rocket science. I live and breathe toys. For work, for fun, as an industry. I'm super critical of every misstep because I hate missed opportunities. And I find nothing but missed opportunities because of short sightedness and lack of ingenuity.

;-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for June 1st!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:43 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:29 pm
Posts: 1540
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
Which is why I have suggested a Marvel Universe type line for DC but first they HAVE to have a giant blockbuster movie like Hasbro had with Iron Man that they later built into the Avengers. Green Lantern bombed and cartoons just are not doing it for kids, it's movies DC needs and Dark Knight is just way too mature for children.

Avengers is at $557 million in just the USA in 3 weeks I think? How many kids do you think saw that movie? I dunno but it must be alot cause the isles are empty around here when they were packed a week before of merchandise. And guess what? On the collector's eyes (most i have heard) they are crappy figures.

How many kids walked out of that theater wanting Iron Man, Thor, Hulk and Capt America figures? I'd bet millions easy.

It's not about a Captain Atom figure being a bad selection, you get kids interested in the line and your core characters and then add others to the line. Put pictures of all your figures like a checklist on the back. Kids love that stuff, I know I sure did marking off each Gi Joe or Star Wars figures I got.

Mattel is just limited on what they can do without kids and that is just a fact.

_________________
“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.” Thomas Jefferson

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson


Last edited by ian5555 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for June 1st!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:43 am 
User avatar
Brand Manager
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:01 am
Posts: 2018
Location: J Street
Deleted by poster

_________________
Essential JLU:...1. Jax-Ur...2. Robin (Grayson)...3. Trickster...4. Power Girl...5. Spectre
...6. Chronos...7. Killer Croc w/BabyDoll...8. Felix Faust...9. Poison Ivy...10. Deathstroke
Bonus:...Starfire, Steppenwolf w/Desaad, the Joker's Jokerz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for June 1st!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:39 am 
Still ahead of Mudd
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 6141
Location: Shelbyville, KY
bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Begs the question though ... how does selling a blind boxed collectible item get around that particular bit of legalese?


Pretty Much because they state it is a blind boxed item iniitally and thats what they are selling-.. -- MAtty sold theirs as a subscription where you were guaranteed the product-- they can't all of sudden make you enter a game of chance for a product-- different between blind boxing and randomizing known product.


All of this really came about a couple of years ago when that mother tried to sue back for all of the money that her son had spent on baseball cards (and emotional distress of course because her young son was now addicted to gambling- because he would spend all of his money-- on this lottery that topps had created)-- by making card odds of getting special chase cards..

_________________
Fastest know derailer of threads in the know universe...expanded or otherwise.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Copyright © www.actionfigureinsider.com


[ Time : 0.050s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off ]