Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Old JLU prototypes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:14 am 
An Insider

j1h15233 wrote:
If the eBay prototypes are any indication, you guys are going to be REALLY disappointed. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Which prototypes?
The animated JLU style Darkseid and Lex Luthor in suit were clearly declared as OLD Mattel prototypes by the seller.

Post subject: Re: Young Justice 4 and 6 inch lines CANCELLED!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:59 am 
Mint on Card

I am down with this if this comes to fruition. If it's going to be sold at comic shops and the dc collectibles website I can get them and spread out my purchases.

I hope if it is new 52 related they will do a 3-3/4 - 4inch Grifter and Voodoo just cause of my love for the Wildcats. Of course some Legion figures would be sweet too.

With the last few 3-packs for JLU I'm pretty much done with the DC Stuff for Mattel.

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:30 am 
Dog Squeezer

joeace wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:
If the eBay prototypes are any indication, you guys are going to be REALLY disappointed. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Which prototypes?
The animated JLU style Darkseid and Lex Luthor in suit were clearly declared as OLD Mattel prototypes by the seller.

Here's a quote from the seller at Matty. He started that it's a cross between JLU and YJ.

Quote:
Hi Fellow Board Members,

I recently was lucky enough to come across some super rare DC Animated Prototypes from a fellow Mattel Friend/Employee. The identity is confidential so don't ask who. All I can say is these are a new type of Prototype and a cross between the Young Justice, JLU and DC Fan Collection in style and scale.

Personally, (and this is yet to be confirmed by Mattel and their designers) I think this first wave of prototypes for this "New Innovative Collector-Aimed Line in 2013". Here are my reasons/speculation:

1. These 2 prototypes address and fix alot of the complaints collectors had when Luthor and Darkseid were first released for JLU. (Ugly sculpting, size/scale off, skin tone off, and weird upper body for Darkseid. What better way to cut costs than to redo existing bucks with updated sculpt parts using the new Young Justice style and keeping true to the animated TV color schemes.

2. The prototype Luthor and Darkseid head sculpt look sleeker and more Young Justice in style than JLU DC Fan style, but the body proportions and scale make them fit into the existing lines. This is what was promised for collectors. Something that fits in with the old animated figures, but improved to incorporate all animated styles/figures from the Bruce Timm Verse.

3. Timing - the timing of this reveal and recent news can't all just be coincidental. This would make all my dreams come true, and I can DEFINITELY accept more Young Justice figures in this new style without the crazy upturned fists and simple repaints and I can EASILY accept more JLU figures done in this style.

See and judge for yourself... and if you can... bid.

NEW LEX LUTHOR PROTOTYPE: 180898839799

NEW DARKSEID PROTOTYPE: 180898851459

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:45 am 
Wonderdog

Hm. IN-teresting.

And the guy only wants $1000 and $1250. How reasonable. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:05 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I don't think those are the sign of anything new.

They might be legit prototypes or one-offs of a pre-approved sculpt or whatever, but I don't see them as the beginning of a new return to anything JLU or YJ for Mattel.

Plus, JoeAce said his info was about a new DC Collectibles/Direct line of figures which would further add to my belief that these are nothing to start getting excited about.

I'll wait until SDCC and some sort of Official Announcement to figure out what I am going to be looking forward to.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:43 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
I'll wait until SDCC and some sort of Official Announcement to figure out what I am going to be looking forward to.

And then the disappointement- when they get axed before they even make it to the shelves-- ala Brave and the Bold Action League among others..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:49 am 
An Insider

Yeah, those prototypes are not for the new line from DC Collectibles.
Waiting for news from SDCC.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:25 am 
shirtless hugger

All I will say is that the headsculpt on that Darkseid figure is spectacular.

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:43 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

I believe the Darkseid on Ebay is an early JL prototype, but I'm not sure about the Lex figure. He seems shorter somehow, and while the head sculpt is great, the proportions aren't. I can't imagine his armor pieces fitting over his arms if they're bent like that.

Anyone got a photo from waaaay back when the first prototypes of these two were shown? Lex's armor looks about the right colors, if memory serves...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:03 pm 
Cold-cast

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
I don't think those are the sign of anything new.

They might be legit prototypes or one-offs of a pre-approved sculpt or whatever, but I don't see them as the beginning of a new return to anything JLU or YJ for Mattel.

Plus, JoeAce said his info was about a new DC Collectibles/Direct line of figures which would further add to my belief that these are nothing to start getting excited about.

AGREED! But @ $12.99, they have to include a fig stand and have the best sculpted, painted, QC'd and distributed figure ever. otherwise it will end up like YJ. However i have been wanting DC Direct/Collectibles to do something like this for a while. i wonder if this had anything to do with the YJ line getting cancelled on top of poor sales, big box backout and perhaps Mattel's own 2013 collector line.

ed case wrote:
Hm. IN-teresting.

And the guy only wants $1000 and $1250. How reasonable. :lol:

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:22 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Both Figures are prototypes of the orginal JL line in 2003, Lex is from TF 2003 and DS is from SDCC 2003. That DS looks just like STAS and look how good those joints look! Lex looks great too, as does his armor. I know we probably won't get these as I bet the seller just somehow luckily got a hold of the prototypes. But it would be so awesome to get those. Imagine getting these great looking figures or very unlikely but still possibly more DCAnimated figures... yes!

I remember seeing these both at TF-03 and SDCC-03 and was disappointed with the Lex we actualy got... big time, the DS we got was fine as his head sculpt matched his JL design, but his body was not as good as the prototype... obviously lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Dusty37/ewfsdgdfghdfh.png

D.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:31 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Thanks Dusty for clearing this up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:55 am 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
monitor_ep wrote:
Thanks Dusty for clearing this up.

No problem, :) If that Ebay seller wasn't asking for that much and maybe just 35-50 bucks I would buy that Luthor and Darkseid in a heartbeat. I was so disappointed with the final product we got back in 2003-2004. Also isn't it kind of ironic that that Luthor Prototype looks more like his JL design and that Darkseid Prototype looks more like his STAS design? But when both figures came out it was reversed, Luthor looked just like his STAS counterpart and Darkseid looked just like he did in JL. lol

D.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:18 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Yeah, thanks for the info Dusty.

And I'd be more agreeable to getting them if the price were more reasonable. They're very rare protos, and as I've said to me look better overall than the final figures we got. I won't fault anyone who might buy them, but that price is just way too steep.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:44 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Ahhh, yes! Those are the pictures I remember! Thanks for digging them up D. For my money, the only real loss here is that awesome Luthor head sculpt. I think it's FAR superior to the two we ultimately got from Mattel.

If only the winner would share the figure with Stew so a head casting could be made. That would rule, BIG time.

I really don't see why y'all are so into Darkseid's head though. It doesn't have the look that the character had in S:TAS, though a quick Google search reveals that you loved it way back when as much as you do now Dusty ;)