Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for June 1st!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:19 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

But again ... why make a distinction between "this one for kids and this one for collectors"?

Why not just make ONE LINE FOR EVERYONE?

Wouldn't that just be the best option? (certainly not the easiest though... :wink: )

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:57 am 
Brand Manager

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
But again ... why make a distinction between "this one for kids and this one for collectors"?

Why not just make ONE LINE FOR EVERYONE?

Wouldn't that just be the best option? (certainly not the easiest though... :wink: )

Yeah, I wouldn't let the distinction be "collectors & kids".

My distinction would be along the lines of size. As is Hasbro's, and as everyone else in the marketing world pretty much does. For example... if you develop a sofdrink or a power drink, you normally start out with two sizes. Once the brand becomes a staple; you branch out.

In the case of Hasbro, the 4" inch figures are their bread and butter. If a kid wants to buy Thor, he just picks the version he likes best (i.e. Comics or Movie.) With Batman, I've seen kids go crazy comparing DCUC packages and Mission Masters Figures because they are trying to figure out the size of the figure and whether or not they fit with their collection. Especially around the Toys R' Us aisles who still carry leftover 5" inch Dark Knight figures!

"Honey, we measured it. I think that figure is too small. Yours are bigger."

Trust me, kids are not dumb. They are future collectors in the making and they want consistency. And if Mattel wants to continue "mix & matching" tooling in order to cut costs; they should learn to be consistent, too.

Otherwise, they are just segmenting their customer base into very small groups. (Sometimes without even knowing.)

PS: Can you imagine switching "skins" when playing Arkham City and your Batman going from being the size of Batman to the size of Alfred, to then Robin? Well, that's kinda what's happening with Mattel's Batman figures.

http://www.itsalltrue.net/?p=14971

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:52 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

You clearly need to go show Mattel how to run a business. The biggest toy company in the world that made $690 Million in profits last year clearly does not know how to plan and are a bunch of stupidheads compared to you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Size issue sure, bad decision (maybe) but how you constantly act like you're a master at business and they are a bunch of idiots is just laughable to me.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:04 am 
Brand Manager

First of all, do you really want to start with the personal attacks?

Second of all, weren't you just telling Warner Bros., DC and Mattel how to run their business?

ian5555 wrote:
The formula is there, Marvel/Hasbro has already done it. DC will fail with Mattel until they get good quality kid friendly movies with their A listers like Marvel has done. Count on it.

Yup, that's what I thought. (And for the record, I don't act like I am a Master at Business... I HAVE a Masters in Business!!! From the University of Texas. And last time I checked, it was ranked pretty good!)
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... g-rankings

Last edited by red Ricky on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:12 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Get in line as do I. it's not THAT special or hard :lol: :lol:. That is not telling Mattel how to run their business and calling them morons all the time but stating a formula that has worked for Hasbro and would help Mattel and the DC brand imo.

You on the other hand act like they are incompetent and have no clue how to run a business which I find funny.

And this was not a personal attack merely an observation that since you are a prodigy of business you should show Mattel "How it is done" :lol: :lol:

I know you won't stop responding so I'll kill it right here on my end and not read this thread anymore cause frankly I do not care to read what you have to say just tired of your pompous attitude acting line Mattel is a bunch of uneducated fools.

Those fools are more successful than you and I will EVER be in the range of about $690 Million a year and just because they do not do what YOU want doesn't make them bad at their jobs.

I'm sure Mattel has some top people in the industry working for them.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:34 am 
Brand Manager

ian5555 wrote:
Blah, blah, blah... calling them morons... blah, blah, blah... killing it right here... blah, blah, blah... not care to read what you have to say ... blah, blah, blah...

Yes, yes, yes, please go away. 'Cause as far as I can tell, I haven't called anyone a moron. (Although, I'm particularly tempted right now.)

And since you have plainly stated that you don't care to read what I have to say... please feel free to add me to your ignore list. (I beg ya'!!!) That way I don't have to deal with you making up statements that I haven't said because you lack the skills to read, process and understand the difference between suggesting a strategy and calling people fools.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:10 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

ian5555 wrote:
Those fools are more successful than you and I will EVER be in the range of about $690 Million a year and just because they do not do what YOU want doesn't make them bad at their jobs.

The problem with throwing this figure around is that it looks at Mattel as a whole.

That includes Barbie, Fisher Price, Hot Wheels, Little Tykes, Board games, and everything else.

When I talk about Mattel's seeming inability to learn from their mistakes and that they seemingly insist on designating products as only being for one segment of the market instead of targeting all segments simultaneously, I am referring specifically to the "Boy's Toys" division.

The division responsible for the DCUC, GL movie, Young Justice, DCIH, JLU, Bat: Brave & Bold, et. al. that I am primarily interested in collecting.

Several people here, several times, have asked "Matty" (as he is the "official" mascot of the "Boy's Toys" division to please go and talk to the Barbie people... the Hot Wheels people... the Monster High people... Fisher Price ... etc. to try and see how they are managing to be so successfully cross promoting their products to all market segments.

I agree that Hasbro has been very successful with many of their lines, primarily because they have the most practice at it and they are the most willing to adapt their lines to accommodate changes in the market.

I also agree that Mattel is not entirely clueless, they have had their fair share of successes.

The problem is, they seemingly insist on maintaining outdated business practices as it pertains to the execution and marketing of their "Boy's Toys" products. Mattel can be quoted, in most QnA outings, that they purposely made line "A" for Moms and Kids, and line "B" for collectors and never the two shall meet. They are pushing the DC sub as the place for collectors to buy their figures as the upcoming 2013 retail line will be for Moms & Kids, and again, the implication is that never the two shall meet.

I do think that Mattel (and truly, every major corporation out there) can learn from voices outside their employ. Usually that means they hire "consultants" or conduct "market research" with "test audiences". Mattel has created forums to try and encourage feedback, discussion, discourse, whatever, and yet we aren't supposed to use that forum to point out what seems to "us" to be shortcomings in either planning or execution?

Mattel is doing well. Not great. Well. There is room for improvement as is always the case with anything. But if they continue to act as though they have nothing to learn from the likes of "us", they won't learn anything.

And why bother even having all these open forums for interaction if they aren't going to put that interaction to use?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:22 am 
categorically opposed

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
The problem is, they seemingly insist on maintaining outdated business practices as it pertains to the execution and marketing of their "Boy's Toys" products. Mattel can be quoted, in most QnA outings, that they purposely made line "A" for Moms and Kids, and line "B" for collectors and never the two shall meet. They are pushing the DC sub as the place for collectors to buy their figures as the upcoming 2013 retail line will be for Moms & Kids, and again, the implication is that never the two shall meet.

In this instance, they're talking in terms of character selection, and the reason that retail doesn't want obscure DC characters can be directly attributed to the fact that DC's characters aren't getting as much exposure on a wide scale as Marvel's. So, no, the two will probably not meet, as you're not likely to find a character like Platinum at retail.

Since Mattel keeps saying that lines at retail need mom and kid support - which is fact and anyone who disputes that is delusional - it would make sense to try to have their lines appeal to both. Having a collector-only line at retail is basically a set-up to fail.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:32 pm 
Daniel Pickett

[Mod Hat - The Bickering stops in this thread NOW. This is your only warning.]

Now... where were we...