Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: JL/JLU - A Classic Toyline?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:48 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

As we near the end (version 3.0) of the JLU line, it seems like everyone agrees that interest has seriously dropped in these figures. Plenty of auctions have gone up for entire collections in the past few months...and given the Quality Control issues that always plagued the line...

...I'm wondering if, in ten year's time, this line will be remembered and beloved the way the vintage MOTU and GI JOE lines are. Will JLU be well-remembered as a classic by many?

Or as a fond memory by few?

Last edited by DisneyBoy on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: JL/JLU - A Classic Toyline?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:45 pm 
Aspires to be #1

I don't agree.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:51 pm 
Cold-cast

...and here come the revisionists! LOL

The line is winding down, and there are no more future figures to discuss (or complain about). Just the fact you mentioned JLU in the same thought as MOTU and G.I. Joe should answer your question. For point of reference, Super Powers lasted three years. The Marvel Secret Wars toys lasted just three waves from 1984 to 1985.

JLU lasted ten. Even longer if you count the Batman / Superman Timm-style toys.

Some people love JLU, and some people love to rag on JLU, but it has undeniably secured its place in history as a classic toy line.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:19 am 
5" Scale

JLU has and will always be one of my fav toylines. It would be one of the last things for me to sell if I ever had to sell all my toys.

They are far from perfect, but I still love see all 120+ figures standing together (with the help of stands lol) and i am looking forward to the end of this year to finish this line off nicely

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:12 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I doubt it. MOTU and Gi Joe and the toys of the 80's are classics because it got the kids. 25-30 years later who is spending tons of $$ trying to get a piece of their childhood? Those same kids who grew up. Not the case with JLU imo.

It is one of the biggest action figure lines but classic? No. There most likely will be no collecting community for the line in 20 years.

A classic line is timeless and keeps adding collectors. JLU has lost collectors over the years. Unless there is a renewed interest in the cartoon some day, no it won't be a classic line.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:17 am 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Just give me Toyman and I'll call it a day. :wink:

Other than "My Little Pony" and "Teen Titans", I have never collected toys except JLU.

JLU and the expanded Timmverse is the only collection that I completed.
If they ever bring it back, I'll be waiting with baited breath. Even if I end up
being 90 when they do, I'll still be happy to buy them when they make their comeback. :mrgreen:

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:50 am 
Cold-cast

ian5555 wrote:
I doubt it. MOTU and Gi Joe and the toys of the 80's are classics because it got the kids. 25-30 years later who is spending tons of $$ trying to get a piece of their childhood? Those same kids who grew up. Not the case with JLU imo.

The line is just ending now. Unless the kids today are living in dog years, how would you know this be true?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:50 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Sorry Ian, but I have to disagree. The line was on shelves for almost 10 years. That in and of itself is something of a rarity. Did it lose collectors as the line went on? Absolutely. Was it in the end unsustainable at retail? No matter the reasons, yes and there's simply no denying that. But it was a constant presence.

My kids, nieces, nephews and most of their friends all have a fondness for the line. They loved the cartoon, and remember the big three. Those are iconic characters, in a line that was out while they were kids. They're going to have some nostalgia for it. At the levels of the other lines you mentioned? Probably not. Higher than most of the Bakayugipokeoh lines? Absolutely.

And while you're comparing JLU to MOTU, Star Wars & GI Joe negatively, let's not forget. While all of those lines are hugely successful again, there was a time when all three were cancelled with little hope of return. They all had long gaps where they were not available at all.

Am I saying in 20 years that there will be a huge collecting community? Probably not. Not any more so than Super Powers or some of the others. But there will be interest I think.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:59 am 
Fugitive Dust

It's one of my favorite toy lines ever, but I don't think it'll be a classic line in the sense of MOTUC, GIJoe, etc. As someone else said, JLU didn't really get the kids interested. None of my nieces, nephews, or children of friends owned any of them unless I gave them some of my extras, and they only played with them for a little while before losing interest. I only saw college age people looking at them in stores. I'm sure others have had different experiences and know lots of kids who love the line, but from my perspective most of them couldn't have cared less. There will probably always be at least some minimal interest from DC collectors, but I don't think it'll be one of those fondly remember lines.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:03 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

batfink wrote:
ian5555 wrote:

The line is just ending now. Unless the kids today are living in dog years, how would you know this be true?

Not even sure what you mean by this. All I am saying is the toys of the 80's are classic because kids that watched them in the 80's are collecting them now and have been since the 90's. I do not think that will be the case with JLU as I don't think it a had a huge kids following that just were wowed by the cartoon like 80's stuff did (even as cheesy as they were)

Texgnome: You could be right, I'm just speculating here from what I have seen. For a line to be classic it needs collectors though and I do not think in 20 years there will be a bunch of people that were children in 2003 that loved the cartoon who all of the sudden start collecting the line. Just not seeing that.

Also I just compared it to MOTU and GI Joe because the OP did. I don't think JLU will ever make a comeback but the Justice League as a whole is here to stay.

It's a great line but won't go down as a classic imo.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:25 am 
Cold-cast

I understand that you don't like JLU, but what I meant by that is to say that the kids that collect JLU have not grown up yet...so how would they be "nostalgia collecting" JLU now?

In addition, most of these kids that collected JLU at the toy stores probably had no idea that the Mattycollector product was even available. That might make JLU especially collectible in the future, especially if kids grow up and discover that they didn't know some of their favorite characters had been made.

It's also hard to believe that JLU did not have "a huge kids following." We know from direct statements made by Mattel that a toy line cannot survive even a year without mass kid support. And judging by the poor sales on Mattycollector, collector support was not the lifeblood of JLU.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But it seems that some people especially love to hate on JLU. Maybe it's "line envy." But the success and legacy of JLU should not threaten how much people love their other favorite toy lines.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:28 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Ian makes a couple of good points, and I don't think we can dismiss them out of hand. He could very well be correct. It's hard to stay objective with a line many of us love, but in this case it's warranted.

I personally think that the sheer variety of character selection will allow it to be a classic. But there are other factors that I think will help it have some future popularity. In 20 years, it may not even be a fond memory. I hope it will, and I genuinely believe it will, but only time will tell.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:57 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

batfink wrote:
I understand that you don't like JLU, but what I meant by that is to say that the kids that collect JLU have not grown up yet...so how would they be "nostalgia collecting" JLU now?

In addition, most of these kids that collected JLU at the toy stores probably had no idea that the Mattycollector product was even available. That might make JLU especially collectible in the future, especially if kids grow up and discover that they didn't know some of their favorite characters had been made.

It's also hard to believe that JLU did not have "a huge kids following." We know from direct statements made by Mattel that a toy line cannot survive even a year without mass kid support. And judging by the poor sales on Mattycollector, collector support was not the lifeblood of JLU.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But it seems that some people especially love to hate on JLU. Maybe it's "line envy." But the success and legacy of JLU should not threaten how much people love their other favorite toy lines.

Uhhh I love and collect JLU and it is one of my favorite lines so I'm not sure where you got that idea from, Just because I don't bash Mattel for every and all decisions they made on the line doesn't mean I am a hater of the line. I just happen to think that gave us a fabulous line and did a great job while others choose to hate on them for any and all things they do instead of being happy about the hundreds of figures we did get.

I still do not get why this is so confusing for you though. I didn't say anything about kids "now". MOTU and Gi Joe had huge kid followings in the 80's as did lots of other lines. Those kids grew up, got jobs and now they have plenty of money and some spend it on collecting those lines they loved in the 80's. I do not see that happening with JLU because I do not think they had a giant kid following.

Also I think the toys sold to mom's and kids because they had recognizable characters like Batman and Superman not because kids were watching the cartoon. A kid doesn't necessarily have to see the cartoon to want the figure. They see Batman figure, they know Batman, they like Batman, parent buys Batman.

Just how I see it going down. I could be wrong and like Tex said the variety of this line is amazing and that alone might make it a classic. I can't think of one line that has so many different characters.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:37 am 
Cold-cast

I respect your opinion on the matter. But the reason it's confusing to me is because of the following facts.

1) JLU was one of the highest rated kids shows, even at the time of it's cancellation. The show was cancelled because of a "regime change" at WB Animation.

2) The line lasted 10 years, with hundreds of other characters sold other than Batman or Superman.

3) There is no other way for an action figure toy line to last so long at retail unless it has massive kid support.

4) Collectors could not keep JLU going by themselves online, proving that kids were keeping the line alive.

5) All of the evidence undeniably supports the fact that kids did love this show, spawning multiple animated movies.

How it will be received 20 years from now, who knows? But, in my opinion, all the evidence supports that JLU was a classic and will be remembered as such. Critics loved it, kids loved it, adults loved it. If you had a checklist of things to make something classic, JLU would have top marks in each and every box.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:40 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

No, it won't.

I'm not sure any toyline after TMNT and Power Rangers will ever reach "classic" level. Not enough kids are buying action figures these days.

Trade Rating +55 and counting