Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: JL/JLU - A Classic Toyline?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:15 am 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
DisneyBoy wrote:

Quote:
I don't agree.

...I'm not sure I understand this reply. You don't agree that "interest has seriously dropped", as I said in the first post?

I am pretty sure he just disagrees with the whole topic itself, either that... Or... I'm wrong, lol. ;)

texgnome1 wrote:
I wish I could step through that picture with a pocket full of cash. I'd buy every toy on that aisle knowing what I know now.

I am sorry I could not allow you to do that, because if you did you would alter the time stream, and that could potentially erase the very existence of toys everywhere... even JLU! Plus... People... could... die!... Actually if you ever do find a way to go back in time, just give me a heads up so I can call GL and have him put a bubble around me and the people and stuff I like (so I won't be affected by the horrible catastrophe that you'll cause.) Man, I spent way too much time on this post, lol.

D.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:17 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Ah, but I will make sure I have a time bubble that affects only the toy aisle I go to. Yes, I'm sure it will alter time blah blah blah but I won't care. I'll get all that cool stuff! Tons to play with, and even some to sell. :D

Oh yeah, and I'll have to kill Sarah Connor. You know, for old times sake.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:21 am 
shirtless hugger

red Ricky wrote:
I mean... you can't compare JLU to Masters of the Universe and/or Transformers because those lines were completely original.

You're right; it's unfair to compare them. JLU is a brand owned by Warner Brothers that was licensed to Mattel for a few years. The others, and G.I. Joe, are intellectual properties owned by Hasbro, which has a financial interest in pumping new life into its brands every few years.

And now that Hasbro has its own studio and is a partner in a TV network, it will continue to produce toys based on animated shows and vice versa. This concept is crucial for sales of the toys and syndication of the TV shows globally (although it's not as important in the United States).

Mattel has little incentive to produce a revamped line of JLU toys because the show is no longer on the air and it does not own the rights to the show or the characters. New content would have to become available, and Mattel would have to sign a new licensing agreement.

batfink wrote:
What if we get a Justice League movie series that knocks everyone's socks off in 5, 10 or 20 years and provides renewed interest in JLU?

Good point. When the movie does finally hit the big screen, it is very likely that a toy line will be produced. Not in the Bruce Timm style, but most likely one with a more realistic look.

Other "classic" toy lines have changed their look over the years, depending on the available content, some with better results than others. Anyone remember Star Wars Power of the Force figures when the line was relaunched in the mid-1990s? They were cartoonish, but still considered part of the Star Wars line.

So, when the Justice League movie does finally arrive, will the toys based on the movie help support the idea that JLU is a classic toy line? Or will the new toys stand alone, a la the myriad Batman and Spider-Man toy lines based on various movies, video games and TV shows?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:45 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

whakojacko1976 wrote:
BFantana wrote:

But, for some reason, I dont think the numbers sold of JLU, at its peak, would hold a candle to GI Joe of the 80s at its peak. GI Joe was a phenom when I was kid, couldnt find figures because they flat sold out, not under production or horrid distribution. It was a cultural juggernaut. And the scope of the collection, vehicles, playsets...getting misty eyed just thinkin about lol.

Wanna really start crying? Look at this:
These are old pictures from inside a Toys R Us back in the 80's. I never saw JLU toys ever come close to this in stores. I love JLU but it will never be the same type of classic that G.I. Joe is today in another 20 years.

That's what I'm talking about. We'll (sadly) never see shelves like that again. 25 years ago, GIJOE got an entire aisle to itself. I went to TRU yesterday and Transformers, Joes, Star Wars, and a few others all SHARED one aisle.

Somewhere in the mid-90's action figures began to decline and they're still declining. I blame video games and the explosion of media options.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:05 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I think JLU will be about as classic as an action figure line can probably get for these times. I'm not sure anything can surpass the action figure lines of the 1980s. The 70s were good and so were the 90s. The 70s had Mego and the beginning of Star Wars. The 90s had the majority of the Ninja Turtles and the start of the Power Rangers. But I think the 80s saw the peak in action figure selection and creativity with Joes, Transformers, and MOTU leading the way. It's just a different time now. Those days are over and they are not likely to return. I think in some ways JLU greatly mimics some of the vintage lines of long ago and that is why some people are really drawn to them. I wonder what JLU would have been like if it could have somehow been created in the 80s instead of Super Powers.

Thought I'd put the rest of these up while I'm posting:
Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:57 pm 
too much stick, not enough carrot

It's enough to make a grown man cry. You can stop now.

I do agree with the context, and I think that's the core of the argument here.

JLU as a classic in the context of MOTU, He-Man, GI Joe etc, no. JLU as a classic in today's context? Absolutely.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:53 pm 
Collector Inspector

batfink wrote:

I don't know. There were less toys around back then, and no Wal Mart or Target where toasters compete for peg space. So it makes sense that there would be more of each line.

Actually you are incorrect. There were more toylines available then. If you don't believe me here is just a few off the top of my head:

ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS
AIR RAIDERS
ARMY GEAR
A-TEAM
BATTLE BEASTS
BATTLE BRAWLERS
BLACKSTAR
BRAVE STARR
BEETLE JUICE
BILL AND TED
BIONIC SIX
BUGMEN OF INSECTA
C.O.P.S.
CAPTAIN EAGLE
CENTURIONS
CLASH OF THE TITANS
CONVERTORS
CRYSTAR
DEFENDERS OF THE EARTH
DIACLONE
DIAKRON
DINORIDERS
DRAGONDRIERS OF THE STYX
DUKES OF HAZZARD
DUNE
GHOSTBUSTERS (FILMATION'S)
GHOSTBUSTERS (THE REAL)
G.I.JOE
GOBOTS
HE-MAN/SHE-RA
INDIANA JONES
INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM
INHUMANOIDS
MAD BALLS (THE ACTION FIGURES)
M.A.S.K.
M.U.S.C.L.E.S.
PHOTON
POLICE ACADEMY
POWER LORDS
RAMBO
ROBOTECH
ROCKLORDS
SECRET WARS
SECTAURS
SGT. ROCK
SILVERHAWKS
SKY COMMANDERS
SPIRAL ZONE
STARCOM
STARROIRS
STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE
STAR TREK 3
STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION
STAR WARS
STEEL MONSTERS
SUPER POWERS
THUNDERCATS
TIGERSHARKS
T.M.N.T.
TRANSFORMERS
TRON
WARLORD
ZOIDS
ZORRO

As for there being no Wal Mart or Target where toasters compete for peg space, there were. Walmart was around in the 80's and in my region of the country there was Meijer. Target was known as Gold Circle and then Sears and JC Penny's had toy sections. There was also Kresge's which was eventually bought out by K-mart and let's not forget Big Wheel the one place I could find new G.I.Joe before they were out in any other store.

I Forgot one STARTING LINEUP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:10 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

LMAO! As soon as I saw Cookie_TXPSY's name in the "Last Post" box I knew we were gonna get some sort of huge list. Awesome!

I can add to the stores that sold toys list with:
Hills
Nichol's
Woolworth's
Gee Bee
Boscov's
Hess's
Children's Palace
Kay Bee
Montgomery Ward's

at least those were in my region (as well as a few others).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:10 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Double Post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:28 pm 
Cold-cast

No, actually I am correct. If you head over to BBTS, you can find literally hundreds of different toy lines. Way more than the 1980's. If you don't believe me, here is just what they offer for Star Wars today:

Star Wars: 12" Hot Toys
Star Wars: 12" Kenner 2010-2012 Figures
Star Wars: 12" Sideshow
Star Wars: 2008 Star Wars
Star Wars: 2010 - 2011 Star Wars
Star Wars: 2012 Star Wars
Star Wars: 30th Anniversary
Star Wars: Action Masters
Star Wars: Attacktix
Star Wars: Battle Packs (2006)
Star Wars: Bend-Ems
Star Wars: Board Games
Star Wars: Bobble Heads
Star Wars: Busts
Star Wars: Ceramic Mugs
Star Wars: Chocolate M-Pire
Star Wars: Clone Wars
Star Wars: Clone Wars Animated (2008 - 2010)
Star Wars: Collector Fleet
Star Wars: Complete Galaxy
Star Wars: Costumes
Star Wars: Electronics
Star Wars: EpI: The Phantom Menace
Star Wars: Epic Force
Star Wars: EpII: Attack Of The Clones
Star Wars: EpIII: Revenge Of The Sith
Star Wars: Exclusives
Star Wars: Expanded Universe
Star Wars: Galactic Heroes
Star Wars: Games
Star Wars: Hallmark Ornaments
Star Wars: Jewelry
Star Wars: Kubricks
Star Wars: LEGO Star Wars
Star Wars: Lightsabers
Star Wars: Lots
Star Wars: Masterpiece Edition
Star Wars: Micro Machines
Star Wars: Miniatures Game
Star Wars: Model Kits
Star Wars: Original Trilogy Collection
Star Wars: Other
Star Wars: Outdoor Gear
Star Wars: Playskool Jedi Force
Star Wars: Power Of The Force 2
Star Wars: Power Of The Jedi
Star Wars: Premium Format
Star Wars: Radio Controlled
Star Wars: Real Action Heroes
Star Wars: Replicas
Star Wars: Saga Collections
Star Wars: Statues & Sculptures
Star Wars: Titanium
Star Wars: Transformers
Star Wars: Unleashed
Star Wars: Various 12" Figures
Star Wars: Various Other Lines
Star Wars: Vintage: A New Hope
Star Wars: Vintage: DieCast Vehicles
Star Wars: Vintage: Droids Cartoon
Star Wars: Vintage: Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars: Vintage: Ewoks Cartoon
Star Wars: Vintage: Micro Collection
Star Wars: Vintage: Power Of The Force
Star Wars: Vintage: Return Of The Jedi

I'm sure that's not a complete list of all of the Star Wars products currently available...think of all the Target, Toys R Us and Wal Mart exclusives. Milking a franchise has taken on an art form and evolved way past the 1980's.

And clearly someone at the time thought that display was uniquely large, even for the 1980's, and that's probably why they took a picture of it.

Also, JC Penny's, Marshall Field's, etc. didn't dictate what toys were being produced like Wal Mart and Target do today. Pretty much all of the toys available at retail today are designed to please those two stores because they have buried the competition.

I grew up in the 1980's, and have very fond memories of it. But it's so easy to be like the grumpy old man and say, "back in my day, everything was better!" I'm getting DC figures today that I would have never in a million years thought they would make in the 80's and I am grateful for that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:20 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

That's all one line, though: Star Wars.

How many different lines are there these days?

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:55 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

whakojacko1976 wrote:
I wonder what JLU would have been like if it could have somehow been created in the 80s instead of Super Powers.

Well for one thing they would've been made out of better plastic and all be able to stand! :wink: But I love JLU and think it'll always hold its own as a great and diverse toy line.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:08 pm 
Cold-cast

Too many to count, Shellhead.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/brow ... x?browse=1

If DCUC, JLU, and Action League are all different lines, then Star Wars 12" Hot Toys, Clone Wars, 30th Anniversary, etc. are all different lines as well. Anyways, the variety of different types of figures for each property is a hell of a lot more diverse than it was in the 1980's.

I get to have a Super Powers DCUC Batman, a 1939 First Appearance Batman, a Chris Nolan movie Batman and a modern version Batman all standing next to each other. Never would have happened in the 80's.

Even the beloved G.I. Joes. In the 1960's - 12 inch G.I. Joes only. In the 1980's - 3 3/4 inch G.I. Joes only. Today? Both! Harder to find? Definitely. More expensive? You bet. But diversity? 80's ain't got nothing on today. Plus, no Internet in the 80's to share the experience and discuss these extremely important issues lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:15 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

batfink, that list of Star Wars items is a bit mis-leading, in my opinion. Are you actually calling product divisons like statues, jewelry and ceramic mugs "toys". As for the Hot Toys and Sideshow listings, sure those things are "action figures" but are they any more a "toy" than a $500 collector porcelin doll? BBTS is also listing divisions within a category, such as slipping the 3 3/4" figures into specific movie lines and cross-listing the same items under specific and movie categories as well as offering singles, cases and waves.

Cookie_TXPSY wrote:
As for there being no Wal Mart or Target where toasters compete for peg space, there were. Walmart was around in the 80's and in my region of the country there was Meijer. Target was known as Gold Circle and then Sears and JC Penny's had toy sections. There was also Kresge's which was eventually bought out by K-mart and let's not forget Big Wheel the one place I could find new G.I.Joe before they were out in any other store.

Walmart, Target and K-Mart all opened their first stores in '62 (Walmart being a growth of the Walton 5 and 10s, Target being a discount division of Dayton-Hudson - Target bought out 31 Gold Circles in '88, K-Mart a growth of the Kresge 5 and 10s - one of the Louisville K-Mart's is still listed as a Kresge in the phone book for some reason).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:39 pm 
Collector Inspector

batfink wrote:

I'm sure that's not a complete list of all of the Star Wars products currently available...think of all the Target, Toys R Us and Wal Mart exclusives. Milking a franchise has taken on an art form and evolved way past the 1980's.

And clearly someone at the time thought that display was uniquely large, even for the 1980's, and that's probably why they took a picture of it.

Also, JC Penny's, Marshall Field's, etc. didn't dictate what toys were being produced like Wal Mart and Target do today. Pretty much all of the toys available at retail today are designed to please those two stores because they have buried the competition.

I grew up in the 1980's, and have very fond memories of it. But it's so easy to be like the grumpy old man and say, "back in my day, everything was better!" I'm getting DC figures today that I would have never in a million years thought they would make in the 80's and I am grateful for that.

Dude, That's all Star Wars.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next