Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: JL/JLU - A Classic Toyline?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:17 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Quote:
Edit: Put it another way: if Disney is allowed to say that The Black Cauldron is a "Masterpiece" on their DVD cases after fifteen years, I can call JLU a classic in that same amount of time.

:lol:

Fone, that is such a can of worms comparison that even though I kinda get what you're saying, I'm LOL-ing big time too ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:12 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Fone Bone wrote:
Edit: Put it another way: if Disney is allowed to say that The Black Cauldron is a "Masterpiece" on their DVD cases after fifteen years, .

But it is-- Munchies and Crunchies :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:40 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Actually, that's munches and crunches...but carry on.
8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:25 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

DisneyBoy wrote:
Actually, that's munches and crunches...but carry on.
8)

I always thought that it was 'munchings and crunchings'?

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:41 pm 

I know this much: The Timm-Verse cartoon series are superlative and transcendent. They are classics, bar none. The JLU toys will be classic in the sense that the Super Powers line is. There will always be people jumping on board trying to start or finish their JLU collections. I daresay that JLU will be more challenging to collect for rabid completists in the coming years than Super Powers.

JLU is as classic as a modern toy line can be. Not Transformers/MOTU/Star Wars classic, but classic nonetheless.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:22 pm 
my tummy itches

Who ever has the dc license JLU or any timmverse will never die. It should help the sooner that bruce timm makes another one of his super shows!

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:21 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Ummm, did you not see GLTAS? That is his new show.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:02 am 
my tummy itches

Oh, i saw it alright. Its just not what i call " super "

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:14 am 
Aspires to be #1

GLTAS was awesome. A very great start to season 1. It would be really great to see some appearances from non lantern heroes too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:16 pm 
my tummy itches

It was alright. I didn't see all of it. I really didn't get that good sense in gl tas that I did in batman.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:26 pm 
Resin

whakojacko1976 wrote:
BFantana wrote:

But, for some reason, I dont think the numbers sold of JLU, at its peak, would hold a candle to GI Joe of the 80s at its peak. GI Joe was a phenom when I was kid, couldnt find figures because they flat sold out, not under production or horrid distribution. It was a cultural juggernaut. And the scope of the collection, vehicles, playsets...getting misty eyed just thinkin about lol.

Wanna really start crying? Look at this:
These are old pictures from inside a Toys R Us back in the 80's. I never saw JLU toys ever come close to this in stores. I love JLU but it will never be the same type of classic that G.I. Joe is today in another 20 years.

Ahhhhh Whacko, THAT is EXACTLYYYYY what I was talkin about! Man I loved going into Childrens Palace and seeing that same kind of awesomeness!!! I still have 95% of what my collection from when I was a kid, none of the boxes mind you. Still even have the aircraft carrier that my younger brother believes I should put together in my basement on table but I need to find the instructions online some where to give that a go lol

I can still remember when I got certain figures, where, how old I was and under certain circumstance. Got Zartan at Kmart one day when I had to leave school early with a 102 degree fever...The Dreadknocks purchased at Sears the day they hit the shelf in early October and I wasnt allowed to have them until Christmas lol...Stormshadow(My abosolute favorite) purchased at a KB Toys in a mall outside of Philly when we traveled to Philly to visit my sick grandmother. The aircraft carrier my parents tried to hide under the steps to the basement so we wouldnt see it before Christmas, hastily covered a giant blanket and my father waking me up at 3 am Christmas morning to help him with assembling it lol. My dad was like a big kid with toys, opening every bag and mixing pieces up and not paying attention to instructions.

Those type of things make GI Joe classic in my mind, that heavy nostalgia.And Starwars? Wow, Starwars for me, is even on a totally different level from GI Joe. It is its on entity, without compare in the toy realm. And Im talkin about the 70s/80s stuff, not the hundreds of rebooted things from the late 90s thru today. My Starwars collection, as a kid, even dwarfed my Joes. My brother and I were spoiled with those two collections but thats all we played with really, other than bikes n bigwheels(Classic toy right there!).

Love my JLU, it will be classic in my mind, but to the proverbial masses I dont think so.

Marvel Figures: Deadpool,just about any Deadpool

DC Direct Figures: New 52 Vibe/New 52 Catwoman

[/i][/b]Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:58 pm 
my tummy itches

I guess Only really the show will ever be known as a classic. It really was never the landmark that G.I. Joe was.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:24 pm 

I'm with you on the animated Timmverse. It is and will be for a long time to come a modern day classic. I wish Marvel had an animated universe to compare to it, I really do. All the greatness Marvel has in live action needs to come to their animated counterparts, and the new Ultimate Spider-man is not it. Avengers: EMH is a step in the right direction (as was WATX), but that's going to end soon.

I really wonder if TPTB at Disney would ever allow a mature animated series like JLU for Marvel. I doubt it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:30 pm 

Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:
Oh, i saw it alright. Its just not what i call " super "

I kind of feel this way too. But to be fair, I have only seen one and a half episodes so far. Maybe the lack of an accompanying in-scale-to-JLU toyline is keeping me from digging it the way I should be?

As for those nostalgia toy aisle pics.... :shock: Damn, I miss those days! Kiddie City, Play Town, oldschool Toys R Us! We had a place near me called Discount Harry's. They rocked too! All of these stores were like the Garden of Eden, paradise compared to anything around today.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:47 pm 

For those of you who are iffy on GLTAS, I felt it got much better as it went along. The last 3-4 episodes were comparable to the Timmverse we all know and love.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next