Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Would a Return of the Joker Figure Set have been Profitable?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:21 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Thinking back on all the four packs Matty tried to sell us, and even that "last" seven pack (how profitable was that in the end?) I can't help but think that if they'd made a pack centered around the characters from Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, it would have sold really well, considering it's one of the most acclaimed Batman films, animated or otherwise. There's a recognizability factor there that's much higher than say, the Doom Patrol...right?

I'm thinking primary about the Jokerz here...Future Joker, Ghoul, DeeDee 1, DeeDee 2 (essentially the exact same figure with maybe different facial expressions?) Woof, Tim/JJ and a Batman Beyond figure.

Okay, that sounds like a heck of a lot of all-new sculpts/parts, so maybe that's the reason they never did it...but I'm still surprised. I mean...everyone who likes Batman has seen that movie. If they promoted it at SDCC one of these years, I think it would have done really, really well.

Post subject: Re: Would a Return of the Joker Figure Set have been Profita
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:13 am 
Aspires to be #1

Something tells me it would have sold just as much as all the other JLU offerings they had, except for Lobo, and we all know why Lobo did so well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:55 am 
Dog Squeezer

I beg to differ - as long as the Batman Beyond figure was never at retail. If that was the only way to have gotten Terry AND you would get ROtJ Joker Ghoul and JJ, I think it would have probably done the best behind Lobo. Its all Batman characters that kids knew from the show.
However, I still think that if Mattel would have put updated fliers inside the packs showing what 4 packs were available on Matty and what was coming up, the 4 packs would have succeeded.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:07 am 
serves the Otter

Jester wrote:
I beg to differ - as long as the Batman Beyond figure was never at retail. If that was the only way to have gotten Terry AND you would get ROtJ Joker Ghoul and JJ, I think it would have probably done the best behind Lobo. Its all Batman characters that kids knew from the show.
However, I still think that if Mattel would have put updated fliers inside the packs showing what 4 packs were available on Matty and what was coming up, the 4 packs would have succeeded.

I have to agree they would have sold second best after Lobo. But what do I know? I thought the same thing about Kallibak and we know how that turned out.

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:09 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Since it was brought up, why did Lobo sell so well? Was there something that happened that I'm not aware of..?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:43 pm 
Wonderdog

DisneyBoy wrote:
Since it was brought up, why did Lobo sell so well? Was there something that happened that I'm not aware of..?

I'd also like to know! Apparently I missed the memo!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:22 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Lobo sold that well for a few reasons...

1. We were told he could never be made and then he was

2. The sculpt was excellent and all new

3. People love Lobo and he literally only has about 10 action figures. The Lobo lovers were all over it.

And we're kidding ourselves if we think any combination of characters would have sold well. People either...

1. Wouldn't pay the 30 dollar price

2. Wouldn't buy figures online

3. Didn't know the site existed

Or

4. Waited on a sale and caused the end of online 4-packs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:50 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

I'll admit the "He'll never be made!" hype of ten-plus years certainly helped, but couldn't you say the say for Livewire, or Toyman or any of the other figures we've gotten in the JLU line?

I guess I don't consider Lobo all that special in terms of why he sold better. I think he just...did. He was the first (I think) online item, and so people were excited about that, and loved the sculpt and that was that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:12 pm 
Aspires to be #1

DisneyBoy wrote:
I'll admit the "He'll never be made!" hype of ten-plus years certainly helped, but couldn't you say the say for Livewire, or Toyman or any of the other figures we've gotten in the JLU line?

I guess I don't consider Lobo all that special in terms of why he sold better. I think he just...did. He was the first (I think) online item, and so people were excited about that, and loved the sculpt and that was that.

Try to google Lobo action figures and see how many you can find. That's why he did well. If you're a Lobo fan, you have to buy him, there's nothing else. Toyman has several other figures and Livewire is not that popular.

Last edited by j1h15233 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:31 pm 
my tummy itches

I wouldve liked to purchase it. depends when it was released.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:30 pm 
active in the community

j1h15233 wrote:
Lobo sold that well for a few reasons...

1. We were told he could never be made and then he was

2. The sculpt was excellent and all new

3. People love Lobo and he literally only has about 10 action figures. The Lobo lovers were all over it.

And we're kidding ourselves if we think any combination of characters would have sold well. People either...

1. Wouldn't pay the 30 dollar price

2. Wouldn't buy figures online

3. Didn't know the site existed

Or

4. Waited on a sale and caused the end of online 4-packs

I think another big reason why Lobo did so well was due to Toy Guru telling the future of JLU offerings on Matty.com depended on how well he sold. The 4 packs had under performed so they were looking to make other offerings for the website. I myself only had bought 1 of each of the 4 packs that were released, but when it came to Lobo I went ahead got 3. Sure I knew it would “help the cause” but I also knew that the production run would be lower than the 4 packs and he would be useful for trades.

The following releases (Para demons and Kali & Darkseid) I only grabbed 2 of each and with S.T.R.I.P.E I only bought 1. “Supporting the line with my wallet” was starting to hurt.

As for a Beyond 4 pack??? It would probably would have done the better than the others. I just don’t know if it would have reached that “successful” dollar amount Matty.com was looking for. Even if it did, 1 success out of 6 offerings wouldn’t have kept the 4 packs going.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:48 pm 
shirtless hugger

By the time Mattel had the license Batman Beyond was done. Hasbro should have made the figures but they never did. We’re lucky we even got Batman Beyond in DCUC and JLU, let alone any 4 pack Mattel might have done.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:27 pm 
active in the community

Shoulda,woulda,coulda.I can't help but think if this did get made by Mattel,it would've been discussed to ad nauseum as to why these characters were selected and not this one or that one,and why it did not sell very well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:54 am 
my tummy itches

Ill just say this. me like most other jlu fans would rather have a ranny goodness which that would be most likely profitable. I dont no how this would have done. probably same as the darkseid/kalibak 2 pack

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:05 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Quote:
Shoulda,woulda,coulda.I can't help but think if this did get made by Mattel,it would've been discussed to ad nauseum as to why these characters were selected and not this one or that one,and why it did not sell very well.

Yeah...I realize this isn't the freshest topic. But it was in my head the other day. ROTJ is on a lot of "Best Batman Movies" lists.