Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Would a Return of the Joker Figure Set have been Profita
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:32 am 
my tummy itches

You know, I just watched the movie last night to get the " thrill of the thread". I sure would like one. Especially from the once and future episodes with the robo- suits. I would like a joker too. I wish Mattel would make a bb line just for us collectOrs.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:40 am 
active in the community

From a writing standpoint it was just exceptional.Now I know it has been since censored in a later release,which I don't agree on btw.The story's meaning still resonates.To take a chance with a beloved character such as Robin/Tim and torture him both mentally and psychlogically, was risky to say the least.
It remains one of my favorites also.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:08 am 
Resin

I would have bought the set for sure. But I buy all of the JLU stuff. It's hard to say how successful a ROTJ figure pack would have done. I expected the Gotham Villains 4 Pack to sell really well on Matty, but it didn't. Then again, there would be a new Joker figure in a ROTJ figure set, and the Joker always sells really well.

The movie was so great...and it would have been a wonderful opportunity to get a TNBA style Batman figure in there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:39 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

I think that a Batman: Return of the Joker set would have sold very well...for a JLU offering that is. There aren't any true figures from the film, are there? Dee Dee would have been a cost effective way of getting two figures made from one mold. A future Joker would have been super popular. If the JLU four packs were considered a Matty success, then I see no reason why Return of the Joker wouldn't have been on Mattel's short list for future 4 pack glory.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:55 am 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

:shock:

AFi Positive Feedback: +198

Last edited by An-Gel Sakura on Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:26 pm 
my tummy itches

It was a fantastic movie.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:39 pm 
Collector Inspector

I know I would have bought it. Still would.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:26 pm 
Brand Manager

I think Mattel always under estimated the strength of Batman Beyond when JLU was going strong. I mean I was always shouting on the boards- Stalker, Inque, Dee Dee,ROTJ Joker, Shriek and some other would have been easy enough and sold great the show was still airing on various channels across the globe and my little nephew always wanted to watch Batman Beyond instead of Brave and the bold....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:29 pm 
Aspires to be #1

PBateman wrote:
I think Mattel always under estimated the strength of Batman Beyond when JLU was going strong. I mean I was always shouting on the boards- Stalker, Inque, Dee Dee,ROTJ Joker, Shriek and some other would have been easy enough and sold great the show was still airing on various channels across the globe and my little nephew always wanted to watch Batman Beyond instead of Brave and the bold....

If the actual Batman villains didn't sell well enough, then the Batman Beyond villains would have been even worse.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:56 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

j1h15233 wrote:

If the actual Batman villains didn't sell well enough, then the Batman Beyond villains would have been even worse.

Again, we never had proper Return of the Joker figures. Ever. The Matty Bats pack had repeat characters. Cool as heck repeat characters, but repeats nonetheless. A ROTJ set may not have sold gangbusters, but it sure would have garnered the attention of each and every JLU and Batman Beyond fan. Return of the Joker is right up there with the best of the Timm-Verse storylines, and the market has been starved for toys based on the film since forever. And the Joker would have simply needed a new headsculpt slapped atop a repainted JLU body.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:14 pm 
my tummy itches

Only really if you count old Bruce Wayne.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:12 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Howard the Duck wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

Again, we never had proper Return of the Joker figures. Ever. The Matty Bats pack had repeat characters. Cool as heck repeat characters, but repeats nonetheless. A ROTJ set may not have sold gangbusters, but it sure would have garnered the attention of each and every JLU and Batman Beyond fan. Return of the Joker is right up there with the best of the Timm-Verse storylines, and the market has been starved for toys based on the film since forever. And the Joker would have simply needed a new headsculpt slapped atop a repainted JLU body.

We all know I'm one of the biggest JLU fans here, but ONE offering for 3 years sold more than the others and that was Lobo. Return of the Joker is great but JLU figs from the movie would not have sold any better than anything else they offered.

Last edited by j1h15233 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:40 pm 
my tummy itches

You are not the biggest of JLU fans. We all like it the same.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:45 pm 
my tummy itches

That's better :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:41 am 
serves the Otter

A Return of the Joker set would've done great at retail. Hell... all the JLU Batman stuff (i.e. BTAS, TNBA & Batman Beyond) did great at retail!!! The Gray Ghost pack sold well, as did the Penguin/Batgirl/Nightwing pack. Even the Terry McGinnis Wave 9 singles reissue sold well. (Most of the time, it was the first single to sell through!)

So this would've been a great set, and one that I was personally advocating (on account of its "Once and Future Thing" ties.) But once Mattel screwed up the 6 pack SKU with its "Because Moms demanded it" Eclipso-Pack; it was all a moot point.

As far as Granny Goodness goes... I think people are overestimating her appeal. Really, really, ridiculously overestimating her appeal. Sorry guys, but old fat woman with a creepy man's voice, is kinda in the same vein as Amanda Waller in terms of "broad market appeal". And I just don't see her doing better than Kalibak, which was a great figure; but didn't do well (according to Mattel.)

So yeah...

In the "pie in the sky"/pipe dream/best case scenario that JLU were to do well these coming months; I still don't see Mattel making a Granny Goodness or Batman Beyond set.

IF... if... the remaining unproduced JLU figures were to selll through instantly, more than likely I see them offering the unproduced Young Justice and Green Lantern Animated figures first.

You know, on account that in their eyes, JLU & Young Justice are basically the same crap.
(Or at least that's what they've been implying with their Monthly Q&A's.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next