Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Would a Return of the Joker Figure Set have been Profita
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:22 am 
my tummy itches

That's what makes her unique! The reason Waller didnt do well is that she was a suit character.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:07 am 
Brand Manager

Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:
That's what makes her unique! The reason Waller didnt do well is that she was a suit character.

...and Kalibak?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:18 pm 
Brand Manager

j1h15233 wrote:

If the actual Batman villains didn't sell well enough, then the Batman Beyond villains would have been even worse.
[/quote]

Listen J I do not want to get in a big back and forth you got your thoughts on it and I got mine. I can tell you I honestly believe in Mattel made more Batman Beyond,Batman and Superman packs they would have sold better. I go to alot of Yardsales bro and guess what I find JLU Supers, Bats and WW alot. Its almost a fact in my mind that 3 packs with Batman,repainted Two-face and Catwoman wouild have sold better then the Superfriends 3 pack. I also believe a Batman Beyond,Stalker and ROTJ Joker would have out sold the Cadmus 3 pack any day of the week.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:15 pm 
Cold-cast

I didn't think there was any debate at this point that Batman and Superman figures sell better. This is what Mattel has been literally pounding into our heads for years in their Q&A, and sparked the whole current restructuring of the DC Comic lines (under the guise of the New 52). We are going to get Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the main JLers, and that's pretty much it. DCUC subs are for the 2nd and 3rd stringers now.

As long as there were a couple of Batmen (future and TNBA versions) in the set, I think it would have done fine at retail.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:23 pm 
my tummy itches

And Mattel has concluded that suit characters do not do well. Granny wears a costume. And has a weapon unlike Waller.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:29 pm 
Brand Manager

PBateman wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:
If the actual Batman villains didn't sell well enough, then the Batman Beyond villains would have been even worse.

Listen J I do not want to get in a big back and forth you got your thoughts on it and I got mine.

Joel is talking about the Mattycollector Gotham 4-packs and you are talking about the retail 3-packs. It's two different arguments. At retail, he has admitted that the Batman characters sold well (see attached link.)
viewtopic.php?p=352013#p352013

We don't have actual numbers to say what sold or didn't sell on mattycollector; but the argument can be made that a Batman Beyond pack wouldn't have performed any worst than the Doom Patrol and/or the Justice Guild.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:57 pm 
my tummy itches

Yeah, if the batman 3 pack was selling at retail it would have done four times better than it did.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:41 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:
Yeah, if the batman 3 pack was selling at retail it would have done four times better than it did.

Which Batman 3-pack wasn't sold at retail?

red Ricky wrote:
Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:

...and Kalibak?

I'm lost too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:44 pm 
my tummy itches

I meant four pack. And either he was addressing me and or saying the character didn't do well? I'm stumped.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:10 pm 
Tis' but a pup

BB really did get the short end when it comes to figures. From ROTJ, I would have loved Dee Dee. But even from the the regular series, there were so many great characters that could have been made. Seems like they really didn't even make a "regular" black Batman figure.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:27 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Trying to follow the logic in this thread got really difficult really fast.

Ricky, I believe this thread started referring to Matty Collector packs. That's why I said they wouldn't have sold any better. At retail, of course batman villains sell well. I spent like 2 years trying to get Batman villains in the JLU line and all they gave us was a reused Penguin, Batgirl and NIghtwing...and as much as I HATED it, it sold like hotcakes. I agree about Granny though. Everyone wants her but no one would actually buy. She should have been part of an SDCC exclusive one year and then they could have justified the sale numbers for her.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:20 am 
categorically opposed

Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:
And Mattel has concluded that suit characters do not do well. Granny wears a costume. And has a weapon unlike Waller.

But she's an old lady. Come on. She's not even close to being retail friendly. When was the last time you saw an old lady action figure? The term "exclusive" was coined with Granny in mind.

I don't think that Batman Beyond villains would have performed better at retail or on Matty. They're not inherently identifiable as Batman villains. You go to Target and see Two-Face or Poison Ivy or the Riddler on the shelf, you know they're Batman villains. Inque, Blight, whoever else - they might as well be random DC characters, totally unaffiliated and unassociated with any family.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:25 am 
shirtless hugger

There were Return of the Joker figures by Kenner/Hasbro, but they were just reissued, repainted figures from the other BTAS, TNBA lines. Unlike Mask of the Phantasm which got a Phantasm figure and a couple other unique figures too.

Put Batman Beyond and two villains as a retail 3 pack or three villains as a Matty 4 pack and I think its sells no matter what. I only bought the Gotham City Criminals 4 pack because I didn’t care for the rest and I hated dealing with Digital River and Matty.

At least Mattel gave us an old Bruce Wayne from Batman Beyond and Kenner/Hasbro didn’t.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:11 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

dpdodson wrote:
BB really did get the short end when it comes to figures. From ROTJ, I would have loved Dee Dee. But even from the the regular series, there were so many great characters that could have been made. Seems like they really didn't even make a "regular" black Batman figure.

We did get a normal costume Terry McGinnis Batman figure in both three pack and singles releases. However, if one were to nitpick, you can say that the BB figure was of the older Terry and not the Terry BB from his own animated show. The mold used for the BB figure was the bulkier one, as opposed to maybe the more accurate-to-Batman Beyond thinner body. I'm happy that Mattel got around to him either way.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:47 am 
Aspires to be #1

Batman Beyond won't exactly be ignored by the time JLU is officially over anyway. We'll have 7 characters from that show I think...Batman Beyond, Old Bruce, Warhawk, Superman Beyond (and technically Starro), Old Static, Aquagirl and Micron. Am I forgetting anyone?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next