Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Bootleg DCUC Gleeks
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:01 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

One thing i've noticed that differentiated te original issue Gleeks to tis new version is that te original has yellow painted arms. I've recently seen many with arms cast in yellow plastic. Just my observation. I too believe these are really well done bootlegs. Maybe Toy Guru can cime in and confirm?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:46 am 
We're going streaking!

Captain Collector wrote:
One thing i've noticed that differentiated te original issue Gleeks to tis new version is that te original has yellow painted arms. I've recently seen many with arms cast in yellow plastic. Just my observation. I too believe these are really well done bootlegs. Maybe Toy Guru can cime in and confirm?

I don't know what color the plastic is underneath, but the arms on my Gleek are painted yellow.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:07 pm 
ABS

Then maybe the Gleeks that are surfacing now are notbootlegs, but prototypes by Mattel... for some reason the prototypes had no painted arms, and the final product had them painted.

One question, the SDCC Gleek has any articulation in its waist, hips or legs?

Check http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14514 (New entries! - July 10, 2012)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:21 pm 
Resin

Nope, there was a post on Fwoosh showing that he's constructed of some pretty clever engineering where his legs and neck are all one mold, as well as his arms being one mold (except the arms are made to break in the center allowing them to move

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:57 pm 
We're going streaking!

I got my replacement Gleek in the mail today and again, stuck arms. This is from one of the biggest sellers with the stock picture of the raised arms. But thanks to the Fwoosh thread, I popped him open, cut the arm bar and now I have two perfectly fine, fully articulated arms, Gleeks. I guess I will give the second one to my daughter for her monkey collection.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:39 pm 
ABS

I received mine yesterday. The arms were a bit stuck, but gently shaking them in their place instead of turning them worked and can turn them now wothout problems.

Check http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14514 (New entries! - July 10, 2012)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:07 pm 
ABS

I always wanted the Wonder Twins with Gleek, simply because I love the old retro cartoons. I once got a DCUC Starfire with two left arms. Smh :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:35 pm 
MINT!

BeeDub wrote:
Nope, there was a post on Fwoosh showing that he's constructed of some pretty clever engineering where his legs and neck are all one mold, as well as his arms being one mold (except the arms are made to break in the center allowing them to move

i bought a few of them and have popped them open and 'fixed' the arms so that they move independently. i think the multiple sellers were really the same guy. he claimed they were from a lost box within a factory in china..some crap about they were mislabeled and never made it to bagging. i asked if he was going to have more and he just said he was leaving the country for a while(don't recall why...think he said to visit family or vacation...he was in california). he kept sending emails asking if i wanted to buy more then sent one that he sold what he had left to a local used toy store.

anyway...i'm pretty sure they're real. if not then someone sure put some hours into them...molding the parts, painting the faces, hands, arms, belt, cape and chest logo.

all the ones that had the arms up or all the way down do have a chance of breaking.(the arms being all the way up or down makes it easier to put the torso back together...they are out of the way in those positions)

every once in a while now a couple show up on ebay. from opening them it looks like the arms were meant to move together but the neck binds against them. also...the paint on the arms acts as a glue by gluing them to the neck and shoulder sockets. some even had big globs of paint inside the torso gumming everything up.

if you have one be very careful with the arms...if they don't move freely and together when you flick them with your fingers it probably needs to be operated on. if you're going to pop it open be extra very careful you don't pry the torso open at an angle because you will damage the parting line and it will look like crap when you put it back together.

i've repaired and sold about a dozen on ebay and i think i'm doing a good job because people have actually sent messages after receiving them saying how much they enjoy them with their arms independent from one another.

i really don't think the arms were meant to break apart as some have said. i believe they were to move together. i'm basing this on a friend having one obtained at the sdcc that has arms that move together. maybe these were quality rejects? it would have cost the factory even more to have employees take them apart and repair the problem. it is well known that all kinds of retarded mutated figures come from the sellers in china...i once received a black adam with two right legs. it seems they don't throw anything out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:40 pm 
ABS

princeofpop98 wrote:
I always wanted the Wonder Twins with Gleek, simply because I love the old retro cartoons. I once got a DCUC Starfire with two left arms. Smh :roll:

I have that starfire too!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:11 pm 
BANNED

My new Gleek´ left arm broke off when I tried to move it. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:49 pm 
MINT!

guapo wrote:
My new Gleek´ left arm broke off when I tried to move it. :cry:

Pop it open..take the good arm to ace or a local hardware store. Look for a screw with a head similar to the post on the good arm. It would be best to pre drill the bad arm then coat the screw threads with a really good glue like locktite Then screw it in and let it dry before putting the gleek back together.

Making a new post from a clay may work best. The glue would bond better than to a metal screw. Also...if you try a screw wash it with a dish soap like dawn to remove any oils.

If you're not into doing all this and it fits your budget you could always get a new one.