Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Matty 2013 Subscriptions will be revealed at SDCC...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:18 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Get ready for more craziness as the latest Q&A says that the meter will be back for the DC sub this year...

nquick wrote:
I would think it is some type of JDC animated line subcription. What else could it be. I don' think it is WWE or Back to the Future.

Actually the WWE team has stated that they were considering the subscription format for Legends. WWE collectors were pretty vocal in their disappointment that the MC Legends figures weren't offered as a sub for this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:04 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

It's JLU! J1 said so! :twisted:

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:27 am 
Aspires to be #1

Jim_Abell wrote:
Get ready for more craziness as the latest Q&A says that the meter will be back for the DC sub this year...

nquick wrote:
I would think it is some type of JDC animated line subcription. What else could it be. I don' think it is WWE or Back to the Future.

Actually the WWE team has stated that they were considering the subscription format for Legends. WWE collectors were pretty vocal in their disappointment that the MC Legends figures weren't offered as a sub for this year.

Which one said that? And what's the point of the meter? We'll never reach the level they want.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:37 am 
Loose, Missing Package

j1h15233 wrote:
Which one said that? And what's the point of the meter? We'll never reach the level they want.

Fwoosh -- http://thefwoosh.com/2012/07/ask-matty-7212

Quote:
It's JLU! J1 said so! :twisted:

See what you've done now?!?!?... BANNED!!!

(just kidding... for the moment... :wink: )

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:00 am 
Aspires to be #1

Thanks Jim. I saw MOTU at the beginning of that question and completely skipped over it. I hope they finish 2012 with a bang because I don't see 2013 happening.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:22 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

The biggest online complaints about the DC sub last year were:

- the meter was lame/bogus/fake/manipulated, or just not cool or fair
- the sub was rushed, it wasn't marketed, it wasn't open long enough

And what do we know now about the 2013 DC sub:

- we get the meter again
- it's only open for 3 weeks, and it starts just after SDCC with no other marketing push than what Mattel perceives SDCC will provide

I get annoyed and tired with the hardcore and obnoxiously persistent anti-Mattel crowd, and I'm usually called a Mattel apologist, but this is sure disappointing. The Mattel team badly needs a voice or two of reason that can suggest not repeating the same mistakes. But then to act as if fans wanted a shorter and fixed window for the sub? Insanity! There was frustration as the sub was flailing around and getting extended multiple times, but that chatter doesn't suggest what they came up with. The DC sub has so much potential for coolness.... ugh.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:47 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Hey, how is he posting. You said you'd ban him. And I for one have had quite enough of Joel. :P (kidding, don't really ban him. unless he deserves it).

And honestly, I don't get where the comments about the subscription period are coming from. Who on earth asked for a shorter window, besides Mattel's marketing dept?

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:26 am 
5" Scale

xrmc20 wrote:

- we get the meter again
- it's only open for 3 weeks, and it starts just after SDCC with no other marketing push than what Mattel perceives SDCC will provide

I get annoyed and tired with the hardcore and obnoxiously persistent anti-Mattel crowd, and I'm usually called a Mattel apologist, but this is sure disappointing. The Mattel team badly needs a voice or two of reason that can suggest not repeating the same mistakes. But then to act as if fans wanted a shorter and fixed window for the sub? Insanity! There was frustration as the sub was flailing around and getting extended multiple times, but that chatter doesn't suggest what they came up with. The DC sub has so much potential for coolness.... ugh.

I hear you and agree. At this point I'm just hoping they confirm the line up at SDCC for the 2013 sub because I either need to plead my case to the mrs. or shrug my shoulders in disappointment.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:33 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

xrmc20 wrote:

- we get the meter again

And nothing has been spent on promotion as we requested numerous times. Why should the burden be on us to get the word out on this? No other toy company operates like this. Well, BBP tried with Venture Bros. and that went even worse. If they're going to do the meter again, please spend the money for a counter (not a tiny low res made up jpeg) and tell us a number that we need to hit. That number does not need to be protected like the nuclear launch codes. I saw way too many people scoff at the meter last year because of it's inaccuracy and the unattainability of the goal.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein, (attributed) US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:11 pm 
declined to be a vampire

abuddah wrote:
And nothing has been spent on promotion as we requested numerous times. Why should the burden be on us to get the word out on this? No other toy company operates like this. Well, BBP tried with Venture Bros. and that went even worse. If they're going to do the meter again, please spend the money for a counter (not a tiny low res made up jpeg) and tell us a number that we need to hit. That number does not need to be protected like the nuclear launch codes. I saw way too many people scoff at the meter last year because of it's inaccuracy and the unattainability of the goal.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein, (attributed) US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

They aren't going to spend money on promoting the line. That's a huge waste. We didn't make it last year and they gave in and ran it. Spending money to make up the difference when they were already going to approve it...doesn't benefit anyone.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:07 pm 

What other methods should be taken to get more subscribers then? If it didn't meet expectations last year, when these classic characters still had a presence both in the isles and in the comics, how could it have a ghost of a chance this year?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:56 am 

Mattel's WWE Design Team has confirmed that it will NOT be WWE:

http://wfigs.proboards.com/index.cgi?ac ... =1#5017741

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:20 pm 
serves the Otter

baddasspk wrote:
Mattel's WWE Design Team has confirmed that it will NOT be WWE:

http://wfigs.proboards.com/index.cgi?ac ... =1#5017741

Good....good....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:58 am 
Variant Head

My guess of what we will see from the 2013 DCIE sub- Dawnstar Huntress Elongated man and Lead.......

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:31 am 
We're going streaking!

PBateman wrote:
My guess of what we will see from the 2013 DCIE sub- Dawnstar Huntress Elongated man and Lead.......

If that happened, I would buy TWO subs!