Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Constantine In the Sub?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:29 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

JuliusMarx wrote:
1985-1993 he was in the "mainstream DCU" and he was in some FANTASTIC Alan Moore issues as well as in the first Sandman arc (pre-Vertigo). Plus he hangs out with other "manstream DCU" guys like the Phantom Stranger.

And was Zatanna's Tantric Sex partner! :lol:

Not to mention that in Alan Moore's "Twilight of the Superheroes" project... Rip Hunter and Constantine travel around time to try and save the DC heroes from destruction, showing that if certain aspects went differently in Constantine's life, he could have very well have been the 'Zatanna' of the Justice League. Which even though it was never published, a lot of Moore's work with the character in Swamp Thing leads to that.

JuliusMarx wrote:
I dig him being in the sub much more than some New 52 person created 16 weeks ago.

Your mileage may vary

Can't agree more!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:59 pm 
Aspires to be #1

JuliusMarx wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:
I said it once and I'll say it again. If they send me that figure in the sub, I'm going to burn it. They already forced Swamp Thing down our throats with brightest day, so the last thing I want is those stupid characters in my DC sub.

Stupid characters? What's your beef with Swamp Thing and JC? Swamp Thing has been a part of the DCU for 40 years and Constantine almost 30 years. It's not like they are some "flash in the pan" blue lantern or something like that. They have both been in some of the best story arcs in all of DC's history.

My problem with them is that I've never read a single thing that involved either one of them and as far as I'm concerned, they aren't a part of the DC Universe. If they wanted to do Constantine then they should have included him in the Swamp Thing exclusive so you wouldn't be forced to pay for it. My other problem with his POSSIBLE inclusion in the sub is the massive list of more deserving figures that have yet to be made...a few examples

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14507

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22545

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22224

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23498

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:50 pm 
my tummy itches

Location: Kegworth, just around the corner from Gotham, England
I want him.

Jo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:40 pm 
Daniel Pickett

"more deserving" is REALLY subjective.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:59 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

j1h15233 wrote:
My problem with them is that I've never read a single thing that involved either one of them and as far as I'm concerned, they aren't a part of the DC Universe.

You need to learn more about DC.

John Constantine and Swamp Thing are very, very much a part of the DC Universe.

If I were still collecting toys, I would welcome a John Constantine figure in DCUC. Constantine is a DC character.

Mike
(If you want read some great comics, then see if you can pick up the Saga of the Swamp Thing trade paperbacks. It's brilliant stuff by Alan Moore, Stephen Bissette and John Totleben. And it very much does take place in the DC Universe.)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:05 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Shellhead wrote:
Only if you consider Vertigo part of the DC mainstream.

I don't.

Swamp Thing and John Constantine were part of the DC Universe long before Vertigo ever existed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:10 pm 
Excelsior!

I am not a fan of Swamp Thing or Constantine, but if Mattel made a better Swamp Thing, I probably would have bought it.

Constantine? No desire for him, but he is not a sub killer for me. Not by himself, not anymore than Atrocitous. But if he is in the 2013 sub, there better be a few figures shown that really appeal to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:12 pm 
Excelsior!

SDcomics wrote:
Shellhead wrote:

I don't.

Swamp Thing and John Constantine were part of the DC Universe long before Vertigo ever existed.

The "New" DC. Heh. I wonder if people were whining as much back then as some of us are whining today about the New 52...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:26 pm 
Aspires to be #1

SDcomics wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:
My problem with them is that I've never read a single thing that involved either one of them and as far as I'm concerned, they aren't a part of the DC Universe.

You need to learn more about DC.

John Constantine and Swamp Thing are very, very much a part of the DC Universe.

If I were still collecting toys, I would welcome a John Constantine figure in DCUC. Constantine is a DC character.

Mike
(If you want read some great comics, then see if you can pick up the Saga of the Swamp Thing trade paperbacks. It's brilliant stuff by Alan Moore, Stephen Bissette and John Totleben. And it very much does take place in the DC Universe.)

I know plenty about DC, but those two aren't a part of my DC. When we're getting 12 regular figures a year, I don't want JC anywhere near the DC sub. Of course it probably won't matter anyway because there's about a .01 % chance we'll have a sub next year, especially if they show this figure as a part of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:29 pm 
5" Scale

SDcomics wrote:
Shellhead wrote:

I don't.

Spoiler: show

Yep, gotta go with Julius and SDc on this one. I also agree about him or anyone else being in the slot as opposed to someone who was recently created. That was my problem with Atrocitus, I have no ties to him. So I can understand being frustrated about Constantine too, but at least he wasn't just created :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:48 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I didn't really get into DC until the death of Superman.

Then I went back and got most of Aquaman and all of the New Teen Titans.

I've never read a book with JC in it. All I know about him is that he's a chain smoker and that Keanu Reeves had a so-so movie about him. He means nothing to me.

I want super heroes and super villains, like Wally, Elongated Man, Mera, Huntress, Prometheus, Ocean Master, Vandal Savage, and all of the Secret Six that haven't been made yet. I don't want Kamandi, Hex, Enemy Ace, and I especially don't want Vertigo crap like Sandman and the rest of his universe. Alan Moore is over-rated in my book (although I did like his Top Ten stuff).

If you want, Vertigo, put it in a separate sub. That way, both sides will be happy.

I really hope you guys are right about there being a market for him, because I'll be selling him to them.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:59 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

I'm happy to get JC, I'm just hoping that's not the final head sculpt (and some more paint apps would be nice).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:07 pm 
serves the Otter

Why is everyone assuming he's going to be part of the 2013 sub when we still don't know who's in the remaining slots for the 2012 sub? I think he's more likely to be one of those if he's leaking to Ebay now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:26 pm 
5" Scale

Ah its the normally Mattel in a no win situation LOL

Not saying everyone should be happy about JC, there will always be figures that some people dont love, but to get over dramatic about not subbing b/c JC is not in "your" DC is just silly and selfess

If you dont like a figure sell it or trade it or use it for a custom, the figures have been selling out and selling for more then cost on eBay, you will be fine.

And Im pretty sure if you ask each fan, their list of who is more deserving would be completely different.

I think JC is a great choice for a DC Sub line, would have been in the top 5 of my "deserving" list, most likely no, but he is a part of the DC history so he has a place in my collection

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:50 pm 
Aspires to be #1

fball13z wrote:
Ah its the normally Mattel in a no win situation LOL

Not saying everyone should be happy about JC, there will always be figures that some people dont love, but to get over dramatic about not subbing b/c JC is not in "your" DC is just silly and selfess

If you dont like a figure sell it or trade it or use it for a custom, the figures have been selling out and selling for more then cost on eBay, you will be fine.

And Im pretty sure if you ask each fan, their list of who is more deserving would be completely different.

I think JC is a great choice for a DC Sub line, would have been in the top 5 of my "deserving" list, most likely no, but he is a part of the DC history so he has a place in my collection

:roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next