Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Constantine In the Sub?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:51 pm 
Resin

Constantine's "Vertigo Universe" IS the DC Universe. He's just as valid a character as any other.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:00 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

fball13z wrote:
I think JC is a great choice for a DC Sub line, would have been in the top 5 of my "deserving" list, most likely no, but he is a part of the DC history so he has a place in my collection

Totally agreed! The subscription was made for popular and even cult based characters such as this. We'd never see him at retail. And truthfully when they did Swamp Thing, he was a no brainier for sure.

I think the Metal Men are a waste of space, same with early JSA characters. However I respect that there is just as much a fan following as there are for other DC Characters and wouldn't condemn the subscription for something like that.

I got Constantine so I can only now hope other people see the characters they want!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:01 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

fball13z wrote:
And Im pretty sure if you ask each fan, their list of who is more deserving would be completely different.

Yeah, I think DC fans are very splintered into various favorite sub-groups once you start discussing who wants what. We need more crazy completist types. :D I've had very few issues with character selection in the DCUC/DCSH/etc lines (I thought the rainbow wave was redundant/unnecessary since DCD was pumping those out at the same time--and DCD was/is better suited to do really recent versions of characters, IMO). I'd enjoy some more Vertigo-based stuff.

I think in general though, JC isn't a great choice just because it seems there are lots of collectors who don't care about figs of civilians.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:03 pm 
Aspires to be #1

BeeDub wrote:
Constantine's "Vertigo Universe" IS the DC Universe. He's just as valid a character as any other.

And he was about as important as killer moth until dc used aka wasted an entire event to bring him back. Obviously I'm one of the few who's actually willing to voice a negative opinion about this JC figure so I'll just shut up. I doubt we'll ever get it anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:58 pm 
shirtless hugger

xrmc20 wrote:
fball13z wrote:
We need more crazy completist types. :D

Woot! Shout out for crazy completist types!

Blue Lantern Kyle, Constantine, Apache Chief, Kamandi, & SP Mantis are gonna be my Justice League. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:38 am 
categorically opposed

j1h15233 wrote:
And he was about as important as killer moth until dc used aka wasted an entire event to bring him back. Obviously I'm one of the few who's actually willing to voice a negative opinion about this JC figure so I'll just shut up. I doubt we'll ever get it anyway.

Dude. This is a production prototype, much like the Red Robin, Superman, and Batman that have been floating around. Constantine is a 2012 figure.

And he's exactly what this sub was supposed to be about. Random, obscure, not-retail-friendly characters. You may not care for the character (I don't give a rat's ass about him, either), but come on. You can't fault Mattel for actually using the sub for what it was designed for.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:41 am 
5" Scale

j1h15233 wrote:
<null>

Come on man do you really think everyone is going to like every figure?

I am totally cool with you not likey JC but he a perfect for the sub.

You acted like the sub would be ruined b/c of him and if that is true, then you shouldn't have signed up

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:47 am 
Loose, Missing Package

funtime3 wrote:
That looks pretty cool I guess. Since this is not a retail figure, Maybe Mattel we'll give him a cigarette. Although, his hands don't look like they were made to hold one unless there's a little hole somewhere I can't see.

No cigarette. Someone on the Matty boards asked this specifically about any future Constatine figure and TG responded along the lines that it was corporate policy that no tobacco related items be include with any toy even those for "adult collectors" (much like Hasbro had Mr. Potato Head turn in his pipe to the Surgeon General several years ago). Besides, a cigarette isn't the most difficult thing in the world to customize... Hell, my Mego Penguin got one (with the trademark holder) when I was 7 years old...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:49 am 
Aspires to be #1

fball13z wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:
<null>

Come on man do you really think everyone is going to like every figure?

I am totally cool with you not likey JC but he a perfect for the sub.

You acted like the sub would be ruined b/c of him and if that is true, then you shouldn't have signed up

No I don't, but I also don't think they can afford to do this right now either. 2012 got pushed through for who knows what reasons and they said 2013 won't if we don't get the actual number they want this time. I don't think a figure like this helps at all but I guess other people could say the same about other figures too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:54 am 
Loose, Missing Package

j1h15233 wrote:
No I don't, but I also don't think they can afford to do this right now either. 2012 got pushed through for who knows what reasons and they said 2013 won't if we don't get the actual number they want this time. I don't think a figure like this helps at all but I guess other people could say the same about other figures too.

I agree with the others, Constatine is a 2012 figure. He isn't "sub bait", he's certainly got his fans but he'd never help sell a metered sub. What we're going to see for January, February and March will be the likes of Lead, Captain Marvel Jr and Huntress, IE really highly demanded characters and those that help finish up teams.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:01 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I can't wait to get Constantine in my collection next to Deadman, Swamp Thing, and Etrigan!! It would be nice if he didn't have the scar, because then he would look like his current DC self in Justice League Dark. Anyone saying he isn't a DC character, he was before Vertigo was created and he is a major player in the current DC universe's magic community.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:23 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

-Runs around and does cartwheels-
Oh I'm excited!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:54 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

j1h15233 wrote:
I know plenty about DC, but those two aren't a part of my DC. When we're getting 12 regular figures a year, I don't want JC anywhere near the DC sub. Of course it probably won't matter anyway because there's about a .01 % chance we'll have a sub next year, especially if they show this figure as a part of it.

And that's why DC action figures are in the state that they are. DC fans are more splintered than Marvel fans.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:28 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

abuddah wrote:
And that's why DC action figures are in the state that they are. DC fans are more splintered than Marvel fans.

I think there's a lot of truth in that statement. I wonder if it's because of all the revamps over the years? Especially between the pre- and post-Crisis fans. Most of my DC universe knowledge is Post-Crisis, so I don't love the DC silver age nearly as much as some of you.

And those of you who've been DC fans since the 70's (and earlier) don't have a lot of love for the modern stuff (say 90's and up). Marvel doesn't really have that problem because A) it's a younger universe (considering it missed most of the 50's) and B) there's never been a hard revamp like DC has done (twice, now).

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:37 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

Im fine with getting a figure of JC, I just wish it was before the scar...and human figures look so thin compared to the Superheroes, which has always bothered me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next