Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Batman Unlimited Wave 1
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:57 am 
Aspires to be #1

I'm pretty sure I started all of that a few years ago when I asked if it was a possibility in a Q&A. Then when JLU died and YJ was dying, the idea picked up steam again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:31 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Jim_Abell wrote:
Backward Galaxy wrote:
I'm not sure that it ever got beyond the pure rumor stage, though. Did we ever get confirmation that this was something they seriously considered? I don't see how it could possibly work, personally. But what do I know.

I don't think it was ever a rumor so much as it was rampant (especially here) fanboy wishing.

JLU turned into a DC (Universe) Animated line anyway so this "rumor" is nothing new really. Not happening though, Mattel would be stupid to even try it imo. I think anything other than a 3 3/4 inch line to compete with MU is a bad idea at retail even the DCUC 6 inch line.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:01 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

Jim_Abell wrote:
Backward Galaxy wrote:
I'm not sure that it ever got beyond the pure rumor stage, though. Did we ever get confirmation that this was something they seriously considered? I don't see how it could possibly work, personally. But what do I know.

I don't think it was ever a rumor so much as it was rampant (especially here) fanboy wishing.

Ain't all the best rumors basically that anyways?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:44 pm 
Brand Manager

Quote:
I think anything other than a 3 3/4 inch line to compete with MU is a bad idea at retail even the DCUC 6 inch line.

Seems to me that DC Collectibles beat Mattel to the punch.
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/07/0 ... n-figures/

Anyways, I fail to understand why a rebranding of Young Justice into an ongoing Animated line falls into sarcastic "Fanboy Wishful Thinking", when "Batman Unlimited" is clearly a rebranding of the very much failed after 3 Waves "Batman Legacy" line. If anything it makes more sense to take a second pass at properties that have actual support/exposure in the form of currently airing cartoons on TV and Direct to Video Animated Movies. I mean... if you have a successful cartoon like Young Justice (and a successful track record with a 10 year property like JLU) with a weekly established fanbase of kids and adults, doesn't logic dictate that the problem lies with how Mattel handled things in the first place. Maybe even consider giving it a second chance... at an affordable price... and toning it down to a single SKU that appeals to everyone. You know, as opposed to going with multiple scales and expesive singles, 2-packs and 6-inch dioramas sets that do nothing but splinter your consumer base into multiple groups, each one too small to keep the line afloat on its own.

Last edited by red Ricky on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:54 pm 
5" Scale

red Ricky wrote:
Quote:
I think anything other than a 3 3/4 inch line to compete with MU is a bad idea at retail even the DCUC 6 inch line.

Seems to me that DC Collectibles beat Mattel to the punch.
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/07/0 ... n-figures/

Anyways, I fail to understand why a rebranding of Young Justice into an ongoing Animated line falls into sarcastic "Fanboy Wishful Thinking", when "Batman Unlimited" is clearly a rebranding of the very much failed after 3 Waves "Batman Legacy" line. If anything it makes more sense to take a second pass at properties that have actual support/exposure in the form currently airing cartoons on TV and Direct to Video Animated Movies. I mean... if you have a successful cartoon like Young Justice (and a successful track record with a 10 year property like JLU) doesn't logic dictate that the problem lies with how Mattel handled things in the first place.

LOL I love how you say Batman Legacy line was a failure LOL

Mattel has said that it preformed better then they had thought it was going to, that is why they are keeping a Batman Line going, b/c it was a success.

Animated is done man, just get the last JLU 3 packs and move on

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:43 pm 
Brand Manager

Batman Legacy was a success for me, too. I got Catwoman, Mr. Freeze, Batgirl & Catman, all for less than $5 dollars a piece. Still have ALL the receipts to prove it. (You know... in case you don't believe me and would like me to scan them.)

As for animated lines...

Yeah, you are right. They are dead. No one will ever buy an action figure on account that it has its own cartoon. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:52 pm 
5" Scale

red Ricky wrote:
Batman Legacy was a success for me, too. I got Catwoman, Mr. Freeze, Batgirl & Catman, all for less than $5 dollars a piece. Still have ALL the receipts to prove it. (You know... in case you don't believe me and would like me to scan them.)

As for animated lines...

Yeah, you are right. They are dead. No one will ever buy an action figure on account that it has its own cartoon. :roll:

OK just b/c you get some figures on close out does not make a line a failure lol, Back in the day you could find ML figures on clearance too, I have found figures from almost all major toy lines on clearance at some point.

Mattel made money on Legacy, Mattel isnt making this Batman Unlimited line, just to be nice, they are doing it b/c they saw what kind of money they made on Legacy.

Yes DC Animated lines are dead at least for the next 5 years or so and then maybe another toy company will a take chance on losing some money on them.

I love my JLU figures and with the last 6 packs I will be a happy camper

Look Ricky, we get it you love the animated stuff and thats great, but in the big picture there are not enough of "Red Rickys" to keep those lines going.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:01 pm 
Brand Manager

fball13z wrote:
OK smart guy, just b/c you get some figures on close out does not make a line a failure lol,

Got Batgirl and Catman last year, on the cheap, at Target. You see, there was a point where Wave 3 of Batman Legacy wasn't as sure a thing as you make it out to be. The end lineup went through many incarnations; and it almost didn't happen. So even though it was a "success" for Mattel, there has been some discomfort on the retail partner side of things. Rebranding it Batman Unlimited and starting a new, seems to indicate this. As does all the back and forth between re-naming the same four figures "All-Stars Wave 1", then DCUC Wave 21 and now DC Unlimited Wave 1.

fball13z wrote:
Mattel made money on Legacy, Mattel isnt making this Batman Unlimited line, just to be nice, they are doing it b/c they saw what kind of money they made on Legacy.

So rather than keep things running smoothly by simply releasing Batman Legacy Wave 4 (and thus continue shugging along that money train), they decided to break production, rebrand and invest money on developing a new line with new name, new package, new art, etc. (LOL, gotta to keep those guys in the Mattel art department gainfully employed, I guess!!!)

fball13z wrote:
Yes DC Animated lines are dead at least for the next 5 years or so and then maybe another toy company will a take chance on losing some money on them.

Funny thing, but when confronted with the lack of DC product currently on the shelves, I remember Mattel mentioning how strong a seller their DC pre-teen Fisher Price stuff is. And that looks fairly animated to me. But you are right. The DC Animated stuff with its unique style and lack of TV Exposure is dead and would not make any money if handled properly. As for Mattel's more realistic stuff... pay no attention to all the back and forth between retailers and manufacturer; and/or that annoying meter that's about to pop up in Mattycollector website for the second year in a row.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:12 pm 
Displays Backwards

red Ricky wrote:

Anyways, I fail to understand why a rebranding of Young Justice into an ongoing Animated line falls into sarcastic "Fanboy Wishful Thinking", when "Batman Unlimited" is clearly a rebranding of the very much failed after 3 Waves "Batman Legacy" line. If anything it makes more sense to take a second pass at properties that have actual support/exposure in the form of currently airing cartoons on TV and Direct to Video Animated Movies. I mean... if you have a successful cartoon like Young Justice (and a successful track record with a 10 year property like JLU) with a weekly established fanbase of kids and adults, doesn't logic dictate that the problem lies with how Mattel handled things in the first place. Maybe even consider giving it a second chance... at an affordable price... and toning it down to a single SKU that appeals to everyone. You know, as opposed to going with multiple scales and expesive singles, 2-packs and 6-inch dioramas sets that do nothing but splinter your consumer base into multiple groups, each one too small to keep the line afloat on its own.

So are you saying you want more figure in the Young Justice style? Or do you want more figures in the JLU style? Or a brand new body type?

I know some JLU fans will do anything to keep that line going, but the 5 POA, broad shouldered skinny legged look just doesn't appeal to everyone.

I don't really care about the Animated part myself. I just want DC characters in a small scale - that seems like what DC Direct is doing, but 2-packs sold only at cons is going to lead to a pricey, underwhelming line.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:50 pm 
Brand Manager

BCYa wrote:
So are you saying you want more figure in the Young Justice style? Or do you want more figures in the JLU style? Or a brand new body type?

I'm happy with what I got out of JLU (even though we are still missing some key characters here and there.) And I wasn't much of a Young Justice collector. So I'm happy to close the book on those lines. But still... if you look at the Batman Legacy model, you'll notice that the Dark Knight figures resemble their movie likeness and the Arkham City figures resemble their video game likeness, etc. The same happens with the Star Wars figures. The Clone War figures look like their CGI counter parts and the movie figures look like the rest of the movie figures. All in the same scale! So why can't we have the same for the Animated properties? Why can't Young Justice figures look like their Young Justice counterparts and the Green Lantern figures be in the Bruce Timm style? Wouldn't that keep everyone happy? Either way, all I ask is that:

1- Mattel adhere to the 4.5 inch scale. That way, when they start mix-&-matching tooling, you don't run the risk of getting the same size issues/problems we got with JLU (see Johnny Thunder.)

2- Mattel keep the figures affordable. They want to appeal to people other than collectors... well, price is the one thing regular customers care the most about. It's the reason Walmart gets so many visitors every day.

3- And finally, I would ask that Mattel pick just one SKU. As the previous son of two parents, as an uncle and as a Parent in the making; I can tell you that we/they don't like buying the same toy over and over. So if you want to keep a line ongoing by keeping Parents & Grandparents interested, then don't force them to buy the same figures over and over. I mean, when you look at DCUC... didn't the singles do better than the 2-packs? And in a limited way, wasn't it the same for Young Justice? Let's face it, JLU worked in spite of the "3 sku model" and not because of it. And to be honest, I don't think that model will ever work again. Not at the current price point. And the proof is in the Young Justice pudding.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:34 am 
categorically opposed

red Ricky wrote:
So rather than keep things running smoothly by simply releasing Batman Legacy Wave 4 (and thus continue shugging along that money train), they decided to break production, rebrand and invest money on developing a new line with new name, new package, new art, etc. (LOL, gotta to keep those guys in the Mattel art department gainfully employed, I guess!!!)

The new name, new package, and new art seems to be an effort to keep all the DC 6" lines consistent. Brand unity and all that. And given how New52-centric both DC and Batman Unlimited seem to be, they likely had to break production to accommodate the changes.

red Ricky wrote:
The DC Animated stuff with its unique style and lack of TV Exposure is dead and would not make any money if handled properly. As for Mattel's more realistic stuff... pay no attention to all the back and forth between retailers and manufacturer; and/or that annoying meter that's about to pop up in Mattycollector website for the second year in a row.

Also, pay no attention to the consistent underperformance of JLU on MattyCollector.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:40 am 
Aspires to be #1

There are many many reasons JLU failed on MC and a lot of those fall right back on Mattel. I don't suppose there's much of a reason to get back into that argument though. What's done is done.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:06 am 
Variant Head

I am hoping someday they make a mask of Tengu Batman. I would not be surprised if Batman Unlimited wave 2 was Young Justice Batman, Superfriends Batman and someone easy like Ras Al Ghul.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:38 pm 
Displays Backwards

j1h15233 wrote:
There are many many reasons JLU failed on MC and a lot of those fall right back on Mattel. I don't suppose there's much of a reason to get back into that argument though. What's done is done.

Well, the WWE Legends line has failed on MC. The Ghostbusters line failed. So JLU certainly aren't alone. There are just not enough people who want to pay that much money for those toys.

I'm actually quite surprised the MOTU line has lasted as long as it has - I passed on them because they were too pricey for me. Other than MOTU, what has succeeded on Matty, according to Mattel? Nothing. The DCU line seems to on life support and everything else is dying or dead.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:00 pm 
shirtless hugger

PBateman wrote:
I am hoping someday they make a mask of Tengu Batman. I would not be surprised if Batman Unlimited wave 2 was Young Justice Batman, Superfriends Batman and someone easy like Ras Al Ghul.

DC Direct made a Mask of Tengu Batman a few years ago.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next