Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Not going to SDCC this year support group
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:12 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

BertDert wrote:
I'm on an "every other year" (hopefully) basis right now and this is my off year. Plus, last year my buddy couldn't go so it ended up being more expensive than usual. C2E2 is my "every year" con and I'm considering NYCC this year.

Anyways, here in Ohio, I've just spent most of the work day pouring over the CCI schedule and emailing panel descriptions to anyone I know who might be interested, trying to illicit some sort of sympathy. I even emailed my wife the GLEE panel description hoping she would finally feel my pain. Alas, no one cares. Except all of you wonderful, unfortunate souls.

And yes, no preview night does hinder things even more, and it seems like there will be no preview night for anyone who does not get next years badge at this years con from here on out.

In other sad news, cbr is reporting that one attendee has already died. A Twilight fan who's been camping out for the panel was hit by a car and killed this morning. Horrible news. Some people have got it worse than us non-attendees.

Oh, geez. Too true. SDCC or any similar pop cultural event isn't worth dying for.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:29 pm 
Resin

My wife and I were really planning to go this year, but as badge sales kept getting pushed back and we sat watching airfares and hotel prices rise we decided we just couldn't afford it.

Plus I really wanted to see the stage version of Disney's Aladdin and as I was watching SDCC prices increase they announced a production at the Tuacahn in Utah. So we chose to see the show, we got to see Vegas, the Grand Canyon and Zion National Park and the whole thing probably cost only half of what SDCC would have cost, maybe even less.

Right now I'm thinking we'll have a year or so without a big holiday and try for 2015, but I'd love to do 2014 as it's my 30th that July. Airfare is the biggest problem for us as coming from the UK we need to book as early in advance as we can, normally a year for the best prices, and that just isn't possible with SDCC. We're lucky as we have a friend who wants to go so we're planning on sharing a room when we do go to help keep costs down a bit.

Maybe one day...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:44 pm 
5" Scale

Lt. Clutch wrote:
The_Donster wrote:
Sitting out another year. With a little guy it is just too hard to make the journey. If they ever get their ticket situation fixed I might try and talk my wife into me going solo one of these upcoming years. I'm kind of bummed this year though. Would really love to meet Adrian Paul and of course he's there this year. Haven't checked to see who's at the Star Wars booth. Still, if I did go it would be sad. I've only seen a handful of exclusives that I'd like to have.

Dang! Adrian is gonna be there? That sucks. I've been waiting years for him to do a con in my neck of the woods. Usually, it's always Europe.

This is why I don't read the guest list anymore. There's no point in my being masochistic about it.

Are you on Twitter or Facebook LT? If so, here is Adrian's fan pages: https://www.facebook.com/adrianpaulofficial or @adrianpaul1 on Twitter. I follow him on both and he has both accounts synched with one another. I do have to wonder if he'll attend if his wife has their baby boy though? I'd recommend following him so you know where he'll be. Because I'm pretty sure he was at a con in LA recently or in the past year. On a side note. Sad news on that attendee. I'm sure it was a accident and someone wasn't paying attention. Not sure who's to blame on it, but I'm always mindful when I'm back down in California.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:18 pm 
Wonderdog

Sitting it out again this year. The Crohn's Disease I mentioned in my post up above has, if anything, gotten worse, and since last summer I've been diagnosed with some other stuff that's even more problematic, including (but sadly not limited to) MS. (Thanks, Universe. I guess the Crohn's just wasn't enough. I must have been the Red Skull in my last life.) Going to SDCC is still on my bucket list, but since I turn 60 soon, that bucket is coming up on me fast!

I really would have loved to be at the Firefly 10th anniversary panel, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:16 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Time to fire this thread up again. :(

I am shut out once again. I wonder if I will ever be able to attend again? Thank goodness the Internet ( and our friendly neighborhood AFI crew) coverage has improved each year. It takes a little of the sting out of it. This year's exclusives were a little lackluster so that helps, too. And the crowds were pretty bad in my last year (2009), so I can't imagine what they're like now.

So who else is riding the bench this year?

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:57 am 
ABS

I'm on the sidelines this year. Actually, I've never been to SDCC. Just never works out, but someday... :D

Anyways, I was looking at TV schedules and SDCC is not listed on G4 next weekend. Anybody know where or if there will be TV coverage this year? We usually watch G4's coverage every year, and it will be a real bummer if there's no SDCC on TV this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:20 pm 
PVC

Went to SDCC last year, 2013, for the 1st time. Got the pro badge +1 guest again this year. But wasn't able to score a downtown hotel.

Plus my car broke down twice this year so far, and 4 new tires. My trip is pretty much cancel.

-T