Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: SDCC '12: JLU thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:50 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

texgnome1 wrote:
Mental, it'd be nice but Mattel as an entity is done with JLU. They gave us the final packs in hopes that we would shut up and go away.

C'mon, that is all just a ploy to shake us all up (again). They're not going to take JLU away. They just want to scare us into thinking that if we don't support JLU by buying multiple 3-packs that it's definitely over this time. Besides, JLU has escaped death numerous times before and by numerous I mean not that many. They don't want us to really shut up and go away. They want us to shut up, go away, but come back again with more customers. :lol: :roll: :wink:

Last edited by whakojacko1976 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:24 pm 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Oh don't get me wrong guys. I won't be surprised either. I'll chuckle at JLU's Houdini-like ability to continue escaping death. I'm just not expecting it this time. They can't even manage what is supposed to be the flagship line (DCUC/DCIE). So I just can't see them doing anything this time with JLU.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:32 pm 
shirtless hugger

Quote:
But it was getting to be too big of a chore finding these things

This.

I love JLU more than any other toy line I own, but honestly, Mattel just. wore. me. down. It's not even the money. The constant fruitless trips to Target, searches on eBay, trades and purchases from other collectors to get anything (much less SDCC exclusives), WSOD on Matty Collector, all of it -- I'm just TIRED of it. I want these last packs, and I want to be DONE. From here on out, I'll rely on customs for my new JLU fix.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:32 pm 
serves the Otter

texgnome1 wrote:
Oh don't get me wrong guys. I won't be surprised either. I'll chuckle at JLU's Houdini-like ability to continue escaping death.

I for once, will be extremely surprised to see New JLU. And I mean scream out loud, throw stuff in the air, surprised.

Hope springs eternal and all that jazz; but with 10 fully developed Young Justice figures... I think the torch will be passed, and the burden of paying scalper prices for unproduced figures will fall on someone else's shoulders.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:37 pm 
5" Scale

Bryan Long wrote:
This.

I love JLU more than any other toy line I own, but honestly, Mattel just. wore. me. down. It's not even the money. The constant fruitless trips to Target, searches on eBay, trades and purchases from other collectors to get anything (much less SDCC exclusives), WSOD on Matty Collector, all of it -- I'm just TIRED of it. I want these last packs, and I want to be DONE. From here on out, I'll rely on customs for my new JLU fix.

I'm currently also collecting the new ThunderCats, Richard Scarry toys and Sesame Street figurines. And none of these lines has ever given me the headache JLU did. I was able to find everything I wanted for retail prices (in some cases only paying extra for shipping). If JLU was that easy to find and cheap I'd be on board. But it's not.

Ed Case wrote:

I agree, I'm quite happy with all that we've got, and can live without continuing the headaches JLU has caused me over the years.
That said; Never say never where JLU is concerned. I would be 0% surprised if new figures are announced at SDCC.
I think you're wrong. Even if the door wasn't completely closed on JLU this ComicCon would be the last place they'd show new figures. They'd not only want to see how the final figures did first, but they could play up the "last figures EVER!" line to boost sales. If we ARE ever going to see new JLU figures I don't expect it to be any sooner than next year's Toyfair.

Edit: And before anyone says that it's possible they'll dangle new figures as carrots in front of us at ComicCon and promise to get them to us ONLY if the "final" packs sell out that won't happen either. Even Matty isn't THAT stupid. That would completely enrage the fanbase for no good reason. Matty just earned a TON of JLU goodwill by releasing these packs WITH Firefly and Dr. Destiny at a "reasonable" price. Them doing what I just described would destroy that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:45 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

Fone Bone wrote:

Edit: And before anyone says that it's possible they'll dangle new figures as carrots in front of us at ComicCon and promise to get them to us ONLY if the "final" packs sell out that won't happen either. Even Matty isn't THAT stupid. That would completely enrage the fanbase for no good reason. Matty just earned a TON of JLU goodwill by releasing these packs WITH Firefly and Dr. Destiny at a "reasonable" price. Them doing what I just described would destroy that.

Because Matty's always shown a great deal of concern over not enraging the fanbase for no good reason.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm 
5" Scale

Backward Galaxy wrote:
Because Matty's always shown a great deal of concern over not enraging the fanbase for no good reason.

Please. I have never seen Mattel do something that boneheadedly stupid since they originally announced the last figures only to cancel them three weeks later. They have got to have learned their lesson from that and the amount of drama and uproar that caused. Mattel isn't stupid. They know they'd never be able to get away with dangling new JLU figures again. I said it before and I'll say it again: me paying these prices for figures is a one time thing. It will never happen again and the only reason I'd bother to pony up in the first place is because I already own every other figure and six high priced packs are worth a complete collection. Never again.

JLU is dead. Deal with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:29 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

In all seriousness
A. I put nothing past Mattel
B. Never say never when it comes to Mattel
C. I agree that it became a chore to collect the line
D. IF they do show more figures I don't want to be sitting here still waiting for what was shown... in 2015
E. I'm worn out and ready for it to end

I still thank Mattel for making these final 3-packs happen and if there is one benefit to waiting this long it's that we would probably not have got Dr. Destiny and Firefly otherwise. But yeah, enough is enough it's time to let it end.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:23 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

While I don't think we're going to see JLU return, I'd be surprised if we don't see a Green Lantern: TAS line somehow.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:27 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Pics:

Image Image Image

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:19 am 
ABS

And in the Preview Night pics we can finally get the ordering of the JLU 3-packs:

July 2012: Mongul, Wonder Woman, Batman
August 2012: Future Static, Aqueagirl, Micron
September 2012: Vandal Savage, Future Superman, Batman
October 2012: Guy Gardner, Martian Manhunter, Batman
November 2012: Blue Beetle, Fire, Booster Gold
December 2012: Toyman, Firefly, Dr. Destiny.

source: http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?disps ... G_9952.jpg and SDcomics' first pic above.

Check http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14514 (New entries! - July 10, 2012)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:42 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Well, looks like nothing that we already didn't already know except for the order of the 3-packs. No boot cuffs for Dr.Destiny, no bare feet for Aquagirl or Fire, no Volcana, Aquaman, or Granny, not that I was really expecting any of that but then again you still never know what might come someday.

I would have liked to see some new figures in a way but on the other hand I've become very burned out on JLU in these final years. I've been ready to complete this line and move on for about 2 years now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:58 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Not the least bit surprised that the Toyman / Dr Destiny / Firefly pack is last. That was the one they redid, so it makes sense. Six months to the end! LONG LIVE JLU! :D

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:31 am 
ABS

texgnome1 wrote:
Not the least bit surprised that the Toyman / Dr Destiny / Firefly pack is last.

That we knew already, from official Mattel sources... The only think we didn't knew yet was the order for the 3-packs from September to November.

Check http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14514 (New entries! - July 10, 2012)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:17 am 
Fugitive Dust

Anyone else notice Mattel annual JLU mistake? Look at SDcomics post of the pictures and click the one with the information of the toy line. Long live Young Justice League Unlimited!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next