Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mattel refused to let Paul Dini buy Harley Quinn toy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:04 pm 
Collector Inspector

Fone Bone wrote:
Reminds me a bit of Britney Spears being allowed to cut in line at Disneyworld ahead of people who had spent months saving up money to vacation there. I think some people have a lot of nerve. Not saying Dini is one of them but there was really no need to write a blog post on something so trivial.

The difference being Britney didn't create Mickey Mouse.

Mattel is directly making money off Dini's creation. I can see turning away Stan Lee, Jim Lee, Dan DiDio or Britney Spears. Just because they're celebs doesn' tmean they should be able to cut John/Jane Everyman. But he CREATED the freaking character. Not every decision has to be so binary.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:09 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Wait... was he cutting or just waiting in line like everyone else? I was under the impression he was just waiting in line?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:15 pm 
Damage Control

He was waiting in line I'm sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:16 pm 
Collector Inspector

He was just waiting. He wasn't even pulling a Britney.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:18 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Yeah but if they don't do that for Brittany she gets mobbed and Paul Dini or whoever he is could walk up to 1000 people and ask who he is and I bet maybe 1% might know if that. Hell, I never even heard of him plus I bet she paid a ton of $$ to do that. I've been in plenty of situations around actual celebritys and people have no problems bugging the hell out of them as much as they can. Imagine how many little girls would be trying to get their parents to get autographs and pics with her.

I'm starting to really love Mattel. It's so funny watching and reading about people getting worked up over this stuff. Loyal customer here for providing me with so much comedy over the years. Nobody can get geeks riled up like these guys lol. If I was them I'd be planning this stuff in back rooms just having a hoot laughing about it.

I can see it now "ok, let's spell these words wrong and put a wrong picture in, they'll absolutely have a MELTDOWN on AFI" HAHA that's a good one Jimmy rofl!!!! do it do it

"Oooo it's that guy who created Harley Quinn, what's his name? Paul. Let's mess with him and kick him out, Fwoosh and AFI will go crazy when they hear about it"

Doubt they plan this stuff but wow, classic, haha

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by ian5555 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:20 pm 
5" Scale

He was waiting in line like everyone else. I busted his chops a bit last night on his Twitter. While I don't always agree with Matty or Ian, I do this time. This isn't Paul's first time at SDCC and they were right to turn him away. I think he found the humor in it, but I'm glad they are sticking to the rules and not waffling because of who someone is.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:21 pm 
Brand Manager

He waited in line like everyone else and was denied service when it was his turn.

The sad part is that no one around him bothered to buy him a set.

Well... actually... I think the person right behind him offered to help as long as he paid an extra $20 bucks for gas, and lodging, and all that jazz. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:25 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I can't believe you don't know who Paul Dini is, Ian.

Hopefully you've at least heard of Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and Bruce Timm. :?

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:27 pm 
active in the community

The Mattel booth staff were just doing their jobs and following the rules. I just thought it was an amusing story and incredibly odd that such a rule exists! And Paul took it in his stride, he replied to someone with:

Quote:
@Paul_Dini - I thought sitch was more funny than anything. Zoom into dealer's room early to get toy, then "Oops, you have wrong badge. Scram."

Van Statten wrote:
And I do believe they mean that ruling so that Dealers can't jump in line and then sell those items at the show. I would say Creative Talent counts as Attendees.

Now THAT makes sense. I guess the Con badges don't distinguish between Dealers and Creative Talent? If so, that's pretty odd in and of itself.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:41 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

tuning4k wrote:
The difference being Britney didn't create Mickey Mouse.

No, but she was on The New Mickey Mouse Club.

The point is, people shouldn't get preferential treatment at these events just based on who they are or if they've ever worked at the company. It's not fair to people who DON'T have connections but still spend a ton of money to be there anyways.

God, do I really agree with Ian and disagree with Red Ricky here? The universe sucks today.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:53 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Shellhead wrote:
I can't believe you don't know who Paul Dini is, Ian.

Hopefully you've at least heard of Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and Bruce Timm. :?

Nope, never heard of him. The other 3 I know but what comic geek doesn't. They shouldn't get any preferential treatment either.

When Fone agrees with you though you kind of want to rethink your position here but I'll stick with it.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:00 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

ian5555 wrote:
Nope, never heard of him. The other 3 I know but what comic geek doesn't. They shouldn't get any preferential treatment either.

When Fone agrees with you though you kind of want to rethink your position here but I'll stick with it.

Frankly, Ian, I'm surprised ANYONE here thinks Dini has a leg to stand on. I'm not surprised I'd agree with people I usually disagree with on this because I would think EVERYONE would think Dini was being a dick. It's less surprising that I agree with you and more that I disagree with Red Ricky. Does that make sense? I'm confused now. :P

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:52 pm 
BANNED

The truth is that Toyguru is sick of hatred, he is crazy, maybe he thinks that this kind of strategy will increase the demand of Mattel´stuff. Those people at Mattel are very weird

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:04 pm 
We're going streaking!

Lee H wrote:
He took it in good humour, but still, what a bizarre scenario!

(not directed at Lee H)

If Dini took it in good humor, why is this such an issue?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:24 pm 
Variant Head

It would have been funny if he just said " Screw it I will get it from Target.com for less in like 6 months"

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next