Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Mattel refused to let Paul Dini buy Harley Quinn toy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:40 pm 
5" Scale

guapo wrote:
The truth is that Toyguru is sick of hatred, he is crazy, maybe he thinks that this kind of strategy will increase the demand of Mattel´stuff. Those people at Mattel are very weird

What the heck are talking about?

Mattel has had these rules for longer then just this year lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:39 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Okay so I know who Dini is and all the stuff he has done, but could someone enlighten me to why so much hate for him. I couldn't care less about what happened with him at the booth. I am just curious why some who have posted in this thread seem to dislike him so much. I know he has had disagreements with other cast/crew members on shows and such, but alot of artist's/writers clash with each other quite often, anyways yeah... What did he do?

D.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:25 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Sure sounds like a non issue to me. I'm sure he'll get one at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:37 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Seriously doubt that whoever was enforcing the rules knew that he created Harley, just saw the wrong kind of badge and told him he'd have to come back. Just because it's a comic convention doesn't mean that someone being paid to work the line is any sort of fan of anything in the convention.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:43 pm 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

If he was wearing the wrong badge then I'm glad to hear the con employees are doing their job, but philisophically I think that creators should be given the items free. That's the benefit of being creative and contributing to 'Art'. If Dini hadn't created her then DC/Mattel would not have that particular product to sell.
I know that comicbook creators get comps of all their work sent to them.
When trade paperback collections are published they are sent copies even if it's been years since those issues were done. (Although I believe Marvel has stopped doing this recently)

-example- The actress who played the voice of Violet in the INCREDIBLES received a case of figures of her character when they were manufactured.

I'm glad he shrugged it off, I met him at a con once and he's a real nice guy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:25 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

All depends on the contract... Have heard Mark Hamill talk about requesting a copy of all Star Wars merchandise in his initial contract thinking that he might get a couple of posters and t-shirts and ended up having storage units dedicated to all of the stuff that has arrived. When Dini created Harley she was a one-shot character, she was just supposed to be a generic moll for that one episode but he got a bit creative with her and she took on a life of her own.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:23 pm 
MINT!

Ok, I have to try and make a couple points here...

1. Yes, Paul Dini created Harley, so it is remotely funny that he wasnt allowed to purchase a figure. But to cry that Mattel should have given him one, I'm quite certain they would have if he went to them and asked...however, he probably just thought to get in the line like everyone else. And also, There are literally hundreds of products with Harley on it it and I'm sure Paul doesn't get one of everything. We are all big boys and girls and can probably grasp the fact that he created the character but it is OWNED be DC and therefore needs not be provided with things featuring that character.

2. I'm delighted to hear that the booth folks actually adhered to a policy that fans have been BEGGING for for years. Professionals clog the toy lines before paying guests and suck up exclusives every year...and every year Mattel gets bashed for it. Sure, it's too bad Paul got turned away, but that is an unfortunate side effect of Paul not paying for the entry on his own dime. And let's be honest...after this little situation, Mr Dini will be inundated with Harley Polly Pockets...don't shed any tears over this.

3. To FoneBone-As someone who is employed by Disney...let me shed some light on your "Brittney Spears/Disney World" problem. She is literally on of thousands of celebrities who gets immediately let on to rides at Disney Parks worldwide. Why? Because people LOVE celebrities...and because they love celebrities, they want to get close to them and sometimes lose their minds over them. So, when Tom Cruise comes to Disney, he is taken in the side entrance to Space Mountain ...not just because he is famous, but because people LOSE THEIR MINDS when they see someone from tv and it potentially creates unsafe situations. They aren't given this treatment because of fame, it's based on safety for ALL guests. And ps...they pay for it as well. So, stow the outrage...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:03 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Ghost06 wrote:
3. To FoneBone-As someone who is employed by Disney...let me shed some light on your "Brittney Spears/Disney World" problem. She is literally on of thousands of celebrities who gets immediately let on to rides at Disney Parks worldwide. Why? Because people LOVE celebrities...and because they love celebrities, they want to get close to them and sometimes lose their minds over them. So, when Tom Cruise comes to Disney, he is taken in the side entrance to Space Mountain ...not just because he is famous, but because people LOSE THEIR MINDS when they see someone from tv and it potentially creates unsafe situations. They aren't given this treatment because of fame, it's based on safety for ALL guests. And ps...they pay for it as well. So, stow the outrage...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.

Point taken about celebrities at Disneyworld. But I'm less outraged by Britney and others getting preferential treatment than the double standard many people have when it gives them an opportunity to bash Mattel.

For the record I love Disney. It's just the first example I could think of off the top of my head.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:16 am 
categorically opposed

Why does Britney get to skip the line at Space Mountain? For her own safety.

I bet there are a handful of people at the con who would recognize Paul Dini at all, if he wasn't wearing a nametag.

I'm thrilled that this thread didn't devolve into a "OMG, Mattel continues to treat everyone like garbage" pile-on.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:17 am 
Brand Manager

Fone Bone wrote:
God, do I really agree with Ian and disagree with Red Ricky here?

Paul Dini... the guy who wrote "The Joker's Favor" ...the Arkham Asylum video game ...the Arkham City video game ...and also created Harley Quinn ...got Matty'd.

So no, the question isn't whether or not you disagree with me. It's whether or not you just bore witness to the event that, in some fashion, will inspire the next Joker/Harley story.

So move over "Joker Fish!" Here come "the Joker Toys!!!"

And to think, poor Francis thought he was safe when he quit his job at the Patent's Office and moved to Segundo California!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:30 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Well played Red Ricky. Thanks for digging up that old story.

And, since this all seems now to be a non-issue to Mr. Dini himself, why is it still an issue for any of us here?

He's moved on, maybe we should too?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3