Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: SDCC '12: MOTUC thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:28 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

So who wants to buy my Dekker sight unseen-- come on people you need two-- one for each head... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:17 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

Had to look up Dekker. I like 200x but god that's obscure.

That was until I went and read The Magic Stealer with Procrustus. That then redefined the term obscure.

But then I found no results for The Fighting Foe Men or there individual names at Grayskull wiki. It was then I realized we're going to have to define a new word that is above obscure. Who are these people, Mattel? All I want are the action figures I had as a child all souped up. This line runs on 100% nostalgia because there ain't any quality writing that's been done with the property save the 200x series. It's gonna be a long haul to get to Ram Man.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:19 pm 
shirtless hugger

No pics yet, but here's the updated schedule: http://www.itsalltrue.net/?page_id=9102

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:17 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

Truly on the fence about renewing with so many obscure characters and higher prices to consider. All I'm really happy to get are Mosquitor, Rattlor, Ram Man and Jitsu. (FINALLY, on the latter two!) Most of those other guys do look kinda cool but not enough to shell out the dough. Not even for next year's exclusive figure.

I'm just too burned out on a line which I only collected for two years back in the 80's.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:47 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Has anybody else ever heard of any item anywhere being priced higher on the first day of sale just because it's the first day of sale? That sounds absolutely insane and completely counter to EVERYTHING I've ever seen any store do when something new is released.

"The early bird gets the worm" is great if you like to eat worms.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:07 am 
ABS

Fone Bone wrote:
Has anybody else ever heard of any item anywhere being priced higher on the first day of sale just because it's the first day of sale? That sounds absolutely insane and completely counter to EVERYTHING I've ever seen any store do when something new is released.

Technically it's not priced higher on the first day of sale, the higher price IS the price of the item. If they continue to do the "Essentials" store next year, those figures will be $27 all year round (not just on sale days). Reissues will be the new higher price of $27 regardless of how fast or slow they sell.

In this case, subscribers get a discount since they are buying everything - essentially buying in bulk. So Matty isn't doing anything out of the ordinary.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:13 am 

BlackCanary wrote:
Technically it's not priced higher on the first day of sale, the higher price IS the price of the item. If they continue to do the "Essentials" store next year, those figures will be $27 all year round (not just on sale days). Reissues will be the new higher price of $27 regardless of how fast or slow they sell.

In this case, subscribers get a discount since they are buying everything - essentially buying in bulk. So Matty isn't doing anything out of the ordinary.

That's a distinction without a difference. Mattel can make "technicalities" all they want but it's still a crappy and in my mind unprecendented practice. If anyone has ever heard of any other company anywhere doing this feel free to correct me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:30 am 
categorically opposed

Fone Bone wrote:
That's a distinction without a difference. Mattel can make "technicalities" all they want but it's still a crappy and in my mind unprecendented practice. If anyone has ever heard of any other company anywhere doing this feel free to correct me.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Next year, the price of every MOTUC figure will be $27, regardless of if it's on the first day of the sale or the day it's yanked from the site.

The only way to avoid the $27 is to subscribe, which brings it down to $25.

It's just like a magazine subscription. You want to buy individual issues of GQ? Five bucks a pop. But if you agree to buy each issue for a year, you can get them for $2.75 via subscription.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:48 am 

MoMoney wrote:
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Next year, the price of every MOTUC figure will be $27, regardless of if it's on the first day of the sale or the day it's yanked from the site.

The only way to avoid the $27 is to subscribe, which brings it down to $25.

It's just like a magazine subscription. You want to buy individual issues of GQ? Five bucks a pop. But if you agree to buy each issue for a year, you can get them for $2.75 via subscription.

I would actually be fine with that. But what I'm reading here is that the first day these things will go on sale they will be $27 and the day after that they will go down to $25. I must have misread it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:59 am 
categorically opposed

Fone Bone wrote:
I would actually be fine with that. But what I'm reading here is that the first day these things will go on sale they will be $27 and the day after that they will go down to $25. I must have misread it.

You misread. That would make no semblance of sense.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:29 am 

MoMoney wrote:
You misread. That would make no semblance of sense.

Thank you for setting me straight. That would have been ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:16 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Lt. Clutch wrote:
Truly on the fence about renewing with so many obscure characters and higher prices to consider. All I'm really happy to get are Mosquitor, Rattlor, Ram Man and Jitsu. (FINALLY, on the latter two!) Most of those other guys do look kinda cool but not enough to shell out the dough. Not even for next year's exclusive figure.

I'm just too burned out on a line which I only collected for two years back in the 80's.

Yeah I was planning on getting a MOTUC sub for the first time this year but am on the fence now because of the Fighting Foe Man three pack and other obscure characters, which I have no interest in.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:28 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

Frequency wrote:
Lt. Clutch wrote:

Yeah I was planning on getting a MOTUC sub for the first time this year but am on the fence now because of the Fighting Foe Man three pack and other obscure characters, which I have no interest in.

The Fighting Foe Men would have turned out a lot cooler if we had updated vehicles to go with them. I don't see the use for vehicle drivers if their only rides are the vintage, much pricier versions.

It's looking more and more like that barrel is being scraped to keep the line going.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:39 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I just hope these 30th Anniversary figures keep the line going. Don't get me wrong, I like Draego-Man, The Mighty Spector, and the others, but other fans aren't as welcoming. I don't want those spots to cost us Clamp Champ, Rio Blast, Tung Lashor, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:46 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

Frequency wrote:
I just hope these 30th Anniversary figures keep the line going. Don't get me wrong, I like Draego-Man, The Mighty Spector, and the others, but other fans aren't as welcoming. I don't want those spots to cost us Clamp Champ, Rio Blast, Tung Lashor, etc.

Me neither. I'm all for new characters but not at the cost of older ones that have yet to be made.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next