Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Paul Dini's snafu at the Mattel booth.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:23 pm 
Cold-cast

Can someone please tell me Mr. Dini's address or P.O. Box so I can purchase him one tomorrow and send it to him free of charge. He is a boon to the fandom and reverence needs to be paid, and shame on anyone who thinks otherwise. I can't tell you how many things he's done in the past all starting from when he wrote on Masters of the Universe, his episodes are the only ones that are close to watchable at this point.

Post subject: Re: Paul Dini's snafu at the Mattel booth.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:22 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Well since the other thread about this was locked, I want to ask why was it locked? I don't mind one way or the other. But usually, a mod pops in and comments about the locking of a thread. I didn't see that this time around.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:28 pm 
Collector Inspector

It ended in a celebrity death match between Paul Dini and Britney Spears. Paul won.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:53 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I'm the one who locked it at the suggestion of Ben who commented something to the extent that Dini shrugged it off why couldn't we? Figured that was as good a time as any to lock it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Howard the Duck wrote:
Well since the other thread about this was locked, I want to ask why was it locked? I don't mind one way or the other. But usually, a mod pops in and comments about the locking of a thread. I didn't see that this time around.

Yeah, I'm not really sure why it was locked either. The explanation in this thread makes sense but I've seen threads MUCH worse keep going for days.

Nice sig, by the way. Not sure Dini compares to Justin Beiber in recognizability but I sure was off with the Disneyworld slam so I'll eat crow over it. Well played!

"The early bird gets the worm" is great if you like to eat worms.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:57 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

RumbleFish wrote:
He is a boon to the fandom and reverence needs to be paid.

What?? Seriously??

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:09 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

ian5555 wrote:
What?? Seriously??

Snerk. I laughed at that too.

"The early bird gets the worm" is great if you like to eat worms.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:29 am 
categorically opposed

RumbleFish wrote:
Can someone please tell me Mr. Dini's address or P.O. Box so I can purchase him one tomorrow and send it to him free of charge. He is a boon to the fandom and reverence needs to be paid, and shame on anyone who thinks otherwise. I can't tell you how many things he's done in the past all starting from when he wrote on Masters of the Universe, his episodes are the only ones that are close to watchable at this point.

Ah, yes, poor Paul Dini. A plague on the houses of those who don't bow down before him.

I'm sure he got his Harley Quinn before the weekend was over.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:27 pm 
Cold-cast

ok, but let's all pay 40.00 to have a picture taken with Lou Farigno at Comic-con??? Personally I'd rather have Paul Dini's autograph on all my Harley Quinn Merch for 40 bucks. To each their own.

Not bowing down before him, but Paul Dini did for Batman the animated series, and a lot of animated series we as fans have loved over the years, that the man shouldn't be asked out of line by a Mattel employee. Paul Dini is one of the reasons Mattel makes so much money off the DC license.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:07 am 
5" Scale

I said this in the other thread and I'll repeat it again. Of course he shouldn't get a pass. Despite being the creator of the character this isn't his first SDCC and the employee did the right thing. Preview Night is supposed to be for the attendees, not Pro's. I love his stuff too, but this just fly right with me. I actually busted his chops on his Twitter about it :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:35 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Jim_Abell wrote:
I'm the one who locked it at the suggestion of Ben who commented something to the extent that Dini shrugged it off why couldn't we? Figured that was as good a time as any to lock it.

Oh, okay. I was just curious about it.

Fone Bone, I nicked that sig from something fellow AFi member Ghost06 said in the locked thread. It strikes me as funny for some reason. It's true as well.

Mr. Dini tried to get an exclusive earlier than he ought to have. He got caught. No big deal. No harm, no foul. However, you would be surprised to know just how many celebrities and creative talents do without toys and other related merchandise. and from what I've read and heard about trying to get exclusives at SDCC, I don't blame him for trying. I have a bunch of autographed action figures and it always surprises me when I present them to be signed and I am told that 'Hey, I've never seen this before' or, 'Oh, I was never sent this'. Sometimes, in the case of voiceover work, they don't even know what their character looks like.

I do believe that some system should be in place between actors/creators and the companies that produce items based on their hard work. Not necessarily freebies or comps, but some sort of pay-at-cost plus shipping courtesy service. It is kind of funny for Paul Dini to have to go wait in line to get a Harley Quinn. She and the Joker would also appreciate the humor in that.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:00 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

The_Donster wrote:
I said this in the other thread and I'll repeat it again. Of course he shouldn't get a pass. Despite being the creator of the character this isn't his first SDCC and the employee did the right thing. Preview Night is supposed to be for the attendees, not Pro's. I love his stuff too, but this just fly right with me. I actually busted his chops on his Twitter about it :roll:

First of all, show me PROOF that Preview Night is ONLY for attendees, not professionals. I dare you, because it's not out there.

It's a conceit borne of your small-minded, geek-snob mentality, from which your second comment emerges.

"I actually busted his chops on his Twitter about it." I imagine you saying that out loud as you typed it with your pudgy fingers.

I'm sure you really put him in his place with your bold, courageous Twitter-busting, done from the oh-so-vulnerable spot of your keyboard.

Congratulations. Your asinine comment has forced me to leave lurking and register here. Hopefully, it was worth it to help you recognize that you're wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:07 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I wonder if Batclaw is Paul Dini? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:13 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Yeah, BatClaw...let's not get nasty okay? You could just say "I completely disagree with you" and leave it at that.

Not the nicest way to introduce yourself to the boards...

Quote:
Mr. Dini tried to get an exclusive earlier than he ought to have. He got caught. No big deal. No harm, no foul. However, you would be surprised to know just how many celebrities and creative talents do without toys and other related merchandise. and from what I've read and heard about trying to get exclusives at SDCC, I don't blame him for trying. I have a bunch of autographed action figures and it always surprises me when I present them to be signed and I am told that 'Hey, I've never seen this before' or, 'Oh, I was never sent this'. Sometimes, in the case of voiceover work, they don't even know what their character looks like.

Very true. It's also possible that preview night was the only time when Mr Dini could steal himself away to wait in line. Regardless of what happened, it's a funny story :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:17 am 
shirtless hugger

Hey Batclaw, welcome to AFI!

It's too bad your first post was so harsh. I imagine it will be edited by a mod.

Don't take the posts too personally, OK? We're actually a fun group of collectors here. :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next