Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Matty sub bonus - early shopping for subscribers!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:06 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

batfink wrote:
But a really nice scare tactic for DCU, Dark Knight and JLU collectors. Well done.

Won't effect JLU collectors. It starts in 2013 and the last JLU offering is this December.

"The early bird gets the worm" is great if you like to eat worms.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:48 am 
Cold-cast

It's still a good point though. The way it sounds at the moment, it's scalper heaven.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:12 am 
Cold-cast

Especially since people are encouraged to buy "as many memberships as you want during the on-sale period--there are no limits!" Why would any non-scalper buy more than a few memberships?

I am so glad this has no bearing on the remaining JLU. And I love how they imply that if you really want that upcoming Dark Knight figure, you BETTER sign up for a sub or you will MISS OUT! BUY BUY BUY! Shameless lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:38 pm 
Knows his stuff

I think it's crap.
It is a cheap scare tactic, and it pisses me off. To heck with them, I'll buy the few items I want at a markup off ebay, and just ignore Matty and the far-more-numerous items I don't want. It seems like if you're not going to subscribe and buy everything, then they don't want you to buy anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:32 am 
Collector Inspector

Just another cute little gimmick from them instead of focusing on making high quality toys and making them widely available for everyone to buy. Sorry Mattel, I'm not buying a subscription. I need ElastiGirl and the rest of the Metalmen and that's about it. And do not pile on any more barriers for me getting YJ Superboy and Miss Martian, please, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:11 am 
Aspires to be #1

Overreact much guys? Subscriptions are supposed to offer benefits, otherwise why would anyone ever buy one. I think this option is way overdue and I never buy anything outside of select dc stuff from them anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:22 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

I posted this in another thread when this was first announced- but it fits better here.

Nothing so far interests me whatsoever- so saves me some cash

As far as that new policy-- thats fine- it what we said they should do last year- but they really better cut the limits down to less than 10 per customer.(especially since thats per order- not per account)- Especially since someone like Brians Toys could pretty much hoard the market on a certain figure if they choose.

But I dont think they thought it through, I mean is everything not MOTU or DC not selling out right now- It doesnt ever allow a new collector get into their lines- just to try it- not sign a year away-- so what do they do now about advertising- do they do a bunch of Ads-- and when customers sign on on sale day - everything is already sold out-- or do they not advertise at all -and then complain that no one is buying-- I really just dont understand Mattel.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:09 am 
Cold-cast

Yep. Just wait until they "find" some more Teela stock, or do another legion set, or when Ram Man comes out. If they just worded the release badly or if they put limits on how much you can get, it might work. But as it sounds now, scalpers will will be able to go nuts and nearly corner the market.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:38 pm 
BANNED

IF THEY DO THIS EARLY SHOPPING, I WILL HAVE ONE MORE REASON TO STOP BUYING THEIR STUFF

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:20 pm 
Wonderdog

:shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:39 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Some clarification came from Toy Guru today over on the Matty forums.

Basically, if you are a Sub holder for any sub, you will get to buy early any item that IS NOT INCLUDED IN A SUB.

He offered up Granymyr and Windraider, PKE Meter, and a few other items as examples.

Directly from TG, you WILL NOT be able to buy items that would normally be included in a sub until the standard "on sale" date.

I really don't see this as being that big of a deal. Its a nice incentive, but not one that will be used by the majority of sub holders.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:24 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Well, that sucks. :(

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:40 am 
5" Scale

guapo wrote:
IF THEY DO THIS EARLY SHOPPING, I WILL HAVE ONE MORE REASON TO STOP BUYING THEIR STUFF

Why does this feel like a empty threat? Maybe because it reminds me of the time when you proclaimed you were outta here and yet here you are :wink:

bnjmnrlyr wrote:

Basically, if you are a Sub holder for any sub, you will get to buy early any item that IS NOT INCLUDED IN A SUB.

He offered up Granymyr and Windraider, PKE Meter, and a few other items as examples.

Directly from TG, you WILL NOT be able to buy items that would normally be included in a sub until the standard "on sale" date.

I really don't see this as being that big of a deal. Its a nice incentive, but not one that will be used by the majority of sub holders.

That last sentence pretty much sums it up for me. There's really no benefit to this and it just feels like a empty incentive doesn't it? Yes, you'll be able to purchase items on sale before they officially go on sale to save on shipping. But with the exception of the final JLU 3 packs there isn't enough to really grab my attention. Sadly, I'm just getting frustrated with the situation and the price point on the JLU has made it impossible for me to justify the price. Yes, I know that it is a lower production, which drives up the cost(This isn't my first rodeo :|). I'm starting to wonder if I should officially call it quits? Because over the years I've said to many a folks in several forums, "If this makes you this unhappy, maybe you need to find a new hobby.". Well right now, the hassle is getting in the way for me to enjoy these figures. Still on the fence on what I'm going to do. Don't worry though. If I leave I'll just leave and not make a public spectacle of it :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:32 pm 
Cold-cast

It's good they clarified that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:35 pm 
Aspires to be #1

bnjmnrlyr wrote:

That's what they said from the beginning.