Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Major Matt Mason (The MATTEL Toy Line)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:03 pm 
Daniel Pickett

(Not to be confused with that scammer guy)

So as you guys saw Mattel had a cool display of vintage Major Matt Mason stuff at Comic Con this year. And that got me thinking... if you were to redo that line for the modern era how would you do it? Or want to see it? Would you want it to be a straight action figure line with modern articulation? Would you add in new characters, villains, or aliens or just stick to the classic line up? Would you want it to keep a retro/vintage feel? Keep the "bend'em" wires? Use that internal articulation that Mattel is experimenting with (like DCUC Swamp Thing)? Would you buy the line if it was just action figures since a good part of what made MMM cool was all his STUFF?

There's always the debate on how to relaunch a classic property, and how much you change/update. Just wondering what you guys think?

Post subject: Re: Major Matt Mason (The MATTEL Toy Line)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:11 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I think this line would thrive as a 3 3/4 line that way you could make accessories, vehicles and play sets. It looks like this thrived on extras like space pods and stations. That would be cool and it could compete with GI Joe in a sense or even play up that compatibility even though from two different companies there's no way GI Joe fans wouldn't jump on a 3 3/4 GI Joe stylized space exploration line.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:37 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I would love to see reworked retro version of these with the Swamp Thing style innards like you said. I love the old ones and they are still fairly easy to collect.

Or the 4 Horseman could just extend their OSM line to included these characters in that scale.

But, updated retro sculpts would be sweet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:37 pm 
5" Scale

turnbolt wrote:

Or the 4 Horseman could just extend their OSM line to included these characters in that scale.

this is what I would want

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:09 pm 
my tummy itches

Haha! You got me julius! I thought now they are making a toy line of a scammer? What is this world coming to?

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:38 am 
Wonderdog

Having received original MMM toys for Christmas in the late 60s, I'm not sure this would be successful today. The US was in a space race with the Soviet Union, and we were about to land on a celestial body other than Earth.

Maybe if we discovered life elsewhere, or there was intelligent life contact, these could be re-introduced in a retro format. But these were definitely a product of their time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:16 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Van Statten wrote:
there's no way GI Joe fans wouldn't jump on a 3 3/4 GI Joe stylized space exploration line.

Actually I dont think many of them will

Thats why I stopped collecting GI joe when I was a kid-the space stuff just started getting goofy.- Joe on the Ground-- Star Wars in Space-- no need for the two to mix..

Although What do I know since the defiant is the second most expensive vehicle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:58 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Stewbacca, I think the flaw in GI Joe was the camp of some of the space stuff the more realistic things were better than the cornier things. Even stuff like the Eco-Warriors ruined the line or the Dino-Hunter stuff. But the space stuff was huge when I was younger. Least in my neighborhood. I never had the Defiant but I had all the other space figures with the moon walker packs and space suits. I mean to each their own of course but I'd put some faith in a 3 3/4 Matt Mason line, especially today.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:45 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I honestly have ZERO connection to this property so I truly wouldn't care.

I don't remember it from my childhood, and my days of dreaming of becoming an astronaut or behind me so I can't see much in the way of making me want the line.

From a truly retro stand point, I would like to see a "new" toyline come out with classic styling and gimmicks (like "Bendywire" limbs).

But I would most likely sit this out if it were to ever happen, no matter what the execution might be.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:04 pm 
Cold-cast

I would LOVE a new line even if it was 5 PoA. But I wouldn't want any of the internal joints like swamp thing. And the bendy wires just break after a while. For me, classic looks with a moderate amount of articulation would rule. New aliens would be welcome too. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:31 pm 
shirtless hugger

I had Major Matt Mason as a kid and the other three astronauts and Calisto too. I had some of the vehicles and the Space Station that was huge. Today that Space Station would cost $200 new so there is no way Mattel does a complete relaunch of the line with figures and vehicles.

While the bendy wire frame over rubber was nice, it would break over time at elbows or knees. Also the paint would rub off the rubber and leave the black rubber exposed. You could never repaint them either.

I loved the line the way it was, but I think it needs an upgrade via 4 Horsemen if possible and an all new plastic DCUC type of body that retains as much of the original style as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:38 pm 
Aspires to be #1

If they have so much trouble selling anything besides Batman at retail, I don't see how this could ever work.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:16 pm 
my tummy itches

Yeah... I really am wondering how this will work.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:42 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I just can't wrap my mind around how this particular property can successfully be renewed in this particular day and age. I think it should be left in the graveyard at least for now. Maybe there will come a time again someday when this line would make at little more sense. The only possibility that I could maybe see would involve the line braking off in a very different direction. The only resemblance to the original line would be the property name.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:40 pm 
serves the Otter

j1h15233 wrote:
If they have so much trouble selling anything besides Batman at retail, I don't see how this could ever work.

It's simple. They will offer it as a Mattycollector.com subscription. Then not enough people will sign up for it, and Mattel will blame JLU collectors.