Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Matty 2013 Subscriptions Update 7/12
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:32 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 111
Besides all that, didn't they originally advertise that you could purchase ANY figure in advance if you were in the club? I thought it was even a selling point during the announcement and discussion at the time.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Matty 2013 Subscriptions Update 7/12
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:35 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 111
Just looked back at the other thread, and saw that it did originally say non-subscription figure.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Matty 2013 Subscriptions Update 7/12
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:39 pm 
User avatar
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:36 am
Posts: 8275
Location: Phoenix Metropolitan Area
I guess I'll be done with MOTUC after this year. :roll:

I don't want everything (I usually get about 1/2 to 2/3's), so a sub's not an option.

I guess I'll try my luck on Matty and then go to eBay to get what I can.

_________________
Leave it up to a billionaire to buy the world some time --- Tony Stark

Trade Rating +55 and counting


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Matty 2013 Subscriptions Update 7/12
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:22 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3307
Location: San Diego, CA
I'm a little miffed. This is BS.

I mean, I get what he's saying, but it's more than a little out of the blue. Last time we heard about the status of the line he said we could lose half the subs and still be fine. Why the sudden doom and gloom?
I've bought a sub the last couple years and I have no problem with a lot of the minor characters they throw in, Dekker, Vykron, Demo Man, Vikor, etc. But if this line can squeeze out another year, we better be seeing the big players that are left. Mantenna. Glimmer. Angella. Scorpia. Snake Face. NA He Man. Hydron. Squeeze. Two Bad.

So sad. I can't believe we're even talking about this already. :evil:

_________________
JLU Forever! And is MOTUC EVER getting around to Ram Man?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Matty 2013 Subscriptions Update 7/12
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:59 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3307
Location: San Diego, CA
So is it time to start a 'Save the MOTUC!' campaign? LOL. Or a 'Save DCUC!' campaign?

_________________
JLU Forever! And is MOTUC EVER getting around to Ram Man?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Matty 2013 Subscriptions Update 7/12
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:01 pm 
Tis' but a pup
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:10 pm
Posts: 48
I love how nothing was learned from Mattel's previous toylines (such as JLU). Why don't they just release the popular characters and then after that let the line die with dignity. Otherwise it's JLU all over again. Having too many obscure characters as filler has once again bit Mattel and ultimately collectors in the rear. Way to go Mattel! :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Matty 2013 Subscriptions Update 7/12
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:06 am 
User avatar
categorically opposed
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2721
Location: Pittsburgh
jzachery wrote:
I'm a little miffed. This is BS.

I mean, I get what he's saying, but it's more than a little out of the blue. Last time we heard about the status of the line he said we could lose half the subs and still be fine. Why the sudden doom and gloom?

I didn't interpret it like that at all. I don't think MOTUC is actually in danger of getting the rug pulled out. I think he was just saying that none of the product lines on MattyCollector are exempt from it happening at some point - even its flagship line. I think there are some people that take for granted that MOTUC will go on forever, and this was just said in an effort to bring them back to reality.

Again, I have no doubts that MOTUC is safe for the time being.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Matty 2013 Subscriptions Update 7/12
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:27 am 
User avatar
shirtless hugger
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:05 am
Posts: 1244
Location: New York City
I'm not so bothered by it, but I was intending to get all the DCUC figures anyway. A subscription saves me the hassle of heading to Matty Collector on sale day.

The wording of the release could have been better, but I'm used to reading press releases, so I have learned to skip over the hype. PR reps love their hype. :)

The subscription plan sounds like a typical business model used for retailers: order in bulk for the best picks and best savings. The mom-and-pop stores get what's left. This is how retail chains like Wal-Mart and Target can offer cheaper prices.


batfink wrote:
I just think there is a better way to do it. It's called PREORDERS. Offer all figures, a year in advance, for preorder. Set a minimum order number for the fans. If there aren't enough preorders, the figure does not get made. That simple. No gimmicks, no bait and switch, no getting stuff you don't want.



I'm sorry, but I don't understand your argument. It sounds like you're describing the existing subscription plan. Could you clarify a little?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Matty 2013 Subscriptions Update 7/12
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:37 am 
User avatar
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8544
Location: Rochester, NY
MoMoney wrote:
jzachery wrote:
I'm a little miffed. This is BS.

I mean, I get what he's saying, but it's more than a little out of the blue. Last time we heard about the status of the line he said we could lose half the subs and still be fine. Why the sudden doom and gloom?

I didn't interpret it like that at all. I don't think MOTUC is actually in danger of getting the rug pulled out. I think he was just saying that none of the product lines on MattyCollector are exempt from it happening at some point - even its flagship line. I think there are some people that take for granted that MOTUC will go on forever, and this was just said in an effort to bring them back to reality.

Again, I have no doubts that MOTUC is safe for the time being.


Actually, Toy Guru has said point blank in the Matty Forums that MOTUC is not getting the numbers they wanted this year and it too, might not make it this year.

He is very vocal about the possibility of losing MOTUC and he credits it all to there not being enough "completists" left in the market.

Mattel is very adamant sticking to their guns on this one: "we cater to the collector that will buy everything we make regardless. If you are a chery picker we don't have time to waste on you"

I admire their being that upfront about it, but its a really crappy customer service stance to take.

_________________
"It's not perfect, but I'm kinda excited to have 'em" - Jason Lenzi.

Couldn't have said it better myself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Matty 2013 Subscriptions Update 7/12
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:41 am 
User avatar
Aspires to be #1
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am
Posts: 12535
Location: College Station, TX
I just read all those forum answers too. So how does it feel to be in a DC fans shoes MOTUC group? And I can't help but wonder, what in the world will be the point of MattyCollector if DCIE, Watchman and MOTUC subs all fail to get enough customers?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Matty 2013 Subscriptions Update 7/12
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:23 am 
User avatar
Cold-cast
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:08 pm
Posts: 406
GregNYC wrote:
batfink wrote:
I just think there is a better way to do it. It's called PREORDERS. Offer all figures, a year in advance, for preorder. Set a minimum order number for the fans. If there aren't enough preorders, the figure does not get made. That simple. No gimmicks, no bait and switch, no getting stuff you don't want.



I'm sorry, but I don't understand your argument. It sounds like you're describing the existing subscription plan. Could you clarify a little?


I'm saying fans should be able to preorder any figure or toy Mattel offers on their website, not just MOTU, Watchmen or DCUC. I might want to buy the upcoming Dark Knight figure, but I'm not a fan of the current subscriptions. Why should I have to pay a $150 surcharge to guarantee I get it? They are only rewarding fans of three lines (maybe not even DCU when it's all said and done).

Look at Big Bad Toy Store, they offer product a year in advance so they know how much to order. They don't say, "you have to buy $150 of other product to guarantee your shipment." Understand now?

I'm all for Mattel offering incentives for joining a sub. I wish there was a sub for JLU or Dark Knight, I would buy them in a second. But why not continue to offer an exclusive figure for the sub line, or maybe offer something new like an exclusive playset, or even offer a bulk discount as incentives? Why resort to this cheap scare tactic for people who don't even like the figures offered in the subs? I feel like Mattycollector wants us, the fans, to pay for their bad figure choices.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Matty 2013 Subscriptions Update 7/12
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:49 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3307
Location: San Diego, CA
j1h15233 wrote:
I just read all those forum answers too. So how does it feel to be in a DC fans shoes MOTUC group? And I can't help but wonder, what in the world will be the point of MattyCollector if DCIE, Watchman and MOTUC subs all fail to get enough customers?


Feels the same. I was in the JLU group and now the MOTUC group. Bummer.

_________________
JLU Forever! And is MOTUC EVER getting around to Ram Man?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Matty 2013 Subscriptions Update 7/12
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:23 am 
User avatar
shirtless hugger
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:05 am
Posts: 1244
Location: New York City
batfink wrote:
I'm saying fans should be able to preorder any figure or toy Mattel offers on their website, not just MOTU, Watchmen or DCUC. I might want to buy the upcoming Dark Knight figure, but I'm not a fan of the current subscriptions. Why should I have to pay a $150 surcharge to guarantee I get it? They are only rewarding fans of three lines (maybe not even DCU when it's all said and done).

Look at Big Bad Toy Store, they offer product a year in advance so they know how much to order. They don't say, "you have to buy $150 of other product to guarantee your shipment." Understand now?

I'm all for Mattel offering incentives for joining a sub. I wish there was a sub for JLU or Dark Knight, I would buy them in a second. But why not continue to offer an exclusive figure for the sub line, or maybe offer something new like an exclusive playset, or even offer a bulk discount as incentives? Why resort to this cheap scare tactic for people who don't even like the figures offered in the subs? I feel like Mattycollector wants us, the fans, to pay for their bad figure choices.



OK, I think I understand what you're saying. You want to pick the figures you want and not have to buy the figures you don't want. Fair enough.

I feel the same way about MOTU. At this point, I only buy the few figures that I want on sale day. If I miss them, I try the trade forum or eBay.

With DCUC, I'm getting a subscription because I don't want to miss any figures. In fact, I'm getting two subscriptions to help defray the shipping costs. I plan to offer the extra figures here and on eBay. Let me know if there's one you want! :D

On a side note, Mattel and BBTS have different business models. Mattel is a manufacturer, and BBTS is a retailer. They have different costs involved in running their business and therefore have different approaches to selling toys. I imagine Mattel is offering BBTS the same deal it's offering us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Matty 2013 Subscriptions Update 7/12
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:06 am 
User avatar
We're going streaking!
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3682
Location: Western New York
The pre-order option is a nice idea, but Diamond Select has proven that this model has its' faults too. Just ask any Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica fan who has watched drawn out pre-orders get re-solicited and then eventually get cancelled, soon followed by the cancellation (or so-called "hiatus") of the entire line.

In some ways, I prefer the subscription model. Yes, you end up buying figures you don't want, but at least you know up front whether you are going to get the figures or not and an idea of when (usually within the calendar year).

But one model does not fit all!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Matty 2013 Subscriptions Update 7/12
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:21 pm 
5th Horseman
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 786
This isn't a wake up call for the fans... It's a wake up call for Mattel. Stop this Dekker and King He-Man Bsh&$t and give us our big guns before the line dies. Glimmer, the rock people, two bad, Mantenna, Tung lashor, rio, horde troopers!

If they would have made Octavia the club exclusive, we wouldn't be having this conversation.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright © www.actionfigureinsider.com


[ Time : 0.049s | 12 Queries | GZIP : Off ]