Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Matty 2013 Subscriptions Update 7/12
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:32 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Besides all that, didn't they originally advertise that you could purchase ANY figure in advance if you were in the club? I thought it was even a selling point during the announcement and discussion at the time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:35 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Just looked back at the other thread, and saw that it did originally say non-subscription figure.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:39 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I guess I'll be done with MOTUC after this year. :roll:

I don't want everything (I usually get about 1/2 to 2/3's), so a sub's not an option.

I guess I'll try my luck on Matty and then go to eBay to get what I can.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:22 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

I'm a little miffed. This is BS.

I mean, I get what he's saying, but it's more than a little out of the blue. Last time we heard about the status of the line he said we could lose half the subs and still be fine. Why the sudden doom and gloom?
I've bought a sub the last couple years and I have no problem with a lot of the minor characters they throw in, Dekker, Vykron, Demo Man, Vikor, etc. But if this line can squeeze out another year, we better be seeing the big players that are left. Mantenna. Glimmer. Angella. Scorpia. Snake Face. NA He Man. Hydron. Squeeze. Two Bad.

So sad. I can't believe we're even talking about this already. :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:59 pm 

So is it time to start a 'Save the MOTUC!' campaign? LOL. Or a 'Save DCUC!' campaign?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:01 pm 
Tis' but a pup

I love how nothing was learned from Mattel's previous toylines (such as JLU). Why don't they just release the popular characters and then after that let the line die with dignity. Otherwise it's JLU all over again. Having too many obscure characters as filler has once again bit Mattel and ultimately collectors in the rear. Way to go Mattel! :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:06 am 
categorically opposed

jzachery wrote:

I mean, I get what he's saying, but it's more than a little out of the blue. Last time we heard about the status of the line he said we could lose half the subs and still be fine. Why the sudden doom and gloom?

I didn't interpret it like that at all. I don't think MOTUC is actually in danger of getting the rug pulled out. I think he was just saying that none of the product lines on MattyCollector are exempt from it happening at some point - even its flagship line. I think there are some people that take for granted that MOTUC will go on forever, and this was just said in an effort to bring them back to reality.

Again, I have no doubts that MOTUC is safe for the time being.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:27 am 
shirtless hugger

I'm not so bothered by it, but I was intending to get all the DCUC figures anyway. A subscription saves me the hassle of heading to Matty Collector on sale day.

The wording of the release could have been better, but I'm used to reading press releases, so I have learned to skip over the hype. PR reps love their hype. :)

The subscription plan sounds like a typical business model used for retailers: order in bulk for the best picks and best savings. The mom-and-pop stores get what's left. This is how retail chains like Wal-Mart and Target can offer cheaper prices.

batfink wrote:
I just think there is a better way to do it. It's called PREORDERS. Offer all figures, a year in advance, for preorder. Set a minimum order number for the fans. If there aren't enough preorders, the figure does not get made. That simple. No gimmicks, no bait and switch, no getting stuff you don't want.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your argument. It sounds like you're describing the existing subscription plan. Could you clarify a little?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:37 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

MoMoney wrote:
jzachery wrote:

I didn't interpret it like that at all. I don't think MOTUC is actually in danger of getting the rug pulled out. I think he was just saying that none of the product lines on MattyCollector are exempt from it happening at some point - even its flagship line. I think there are some people that take for granted that MOTUC will go on forever, and this was just said in an effort to bring them back to reality.

Again, I have no doubts that MOTUC is safe for the time being.

Actually, Toy Guru has said point blank in the Matty Forums that MOTUC is not getting the numbers they wanted this year and it too, might not make it this year.

He is very vocal about the possibility of losing MOTUC and he credits it all to there not being enough "completists" left in the market.

Mattel is very adamant sticking to their guns on this one: "we cater to the collector that will buy everything we make regardless. If you are a chery picker we don't have time to waste on you"

I admire their being that upfront about it, but its a really crappy customer service stance to take.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:41 am 
Aspires to be #1

I just read all those forum answers too. So how does it feel to be in a DC fans shoes MOTUC group? And I can't help but wonder, what in the world will be the point of MattyCollector if DCIE, Watchman and MOTUC subs all fail to get enough customers?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:23 am 
Cold-cast

GregNYC wrote:
batfink wrote:
I just think there is a better way to do it. It's called PREORDERS. Offer all figures, a year in advance, for preorder. Set a minimum order number for the fans. If there aren't enough preorders, the figure does not get made. That simple. No gimmicks, no bait and switch, no getting stuff you don't want.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your argument. It sounds like you're describing the existing subscription plan. Could you clarify a little?

I'm saying fans should be able to preorder any figure or toy Mattel offers on their website, not just MOTU, Watchmen or DCUC. I might want to buy the upcoming Dark Knight figure, but I'm not a fan of the current subscriptions. Why should I have to pay a $150 surcharge to guarantee I get it? They are only rewarding fans of three lines (maybe not even DCU when it's all said and done).

Look at Big Bad Toy Store, they offer product a year in advance so they know how much to order. They don't say, "you have to buy $150 of other product to guarantee your shipment." Understand now?

I'm all for Mattel offering incentives for joining a sub. I wish there was a sub for JLU or Dark Knight, I would buy them in a second. But why not continue to offer an exclusive figure for the sub line, or maybe offer something new like an exclusive playset, or even offer a bulk discount as incentives? Why resort to this cheap scare tactic for people who don't even like the figures offered in the subs? I feel like Mattycollector wants us, the fans, to pay for their bad figure choices.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:49 am 

j1h15233 wrote:
I just read all those forum answers too. So how does it feel to be in a DC fans shoes MOTUC group? And I can't help but wonder, what in the world will be the point of MattyCollector if DCIE, Watchman and MOTUC subs all fail to get enough customers?

Feels the same. I was in the JLU group and now the MOTUC group. Bummer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:23 am 
shirtless hugger

batfink wrote:
I'm saying fans should be able to preorder any figure or toy Mattel offers on their website, not just MOTU, Watchmen or DCUC. I might want to buy the upcoming Dark Knight figure, but I'm not a fan of the current subscriptions. Why should I have to pay a $150 surcharge to guarantee I get it? They are only rewarding fans of three lines (maybe not even DCU when it's all said and done).

Look at Big Bad Toy Store, they offer product a year in advance so they know how much to order. They don't say, "you have to buy $150 of other product to guarantee your shipment." Understand now?

I'm all for Mattel offering incentives for joining a sub. I wish there was a sub for JLU or Dark Knight, I would buy them in a second. But why not continue to offer an exclusive figure for the sub line, or maybe offer something new like an exclusive playset, or even offer a bulk discount as incentives? Why resort to this cheap scare tactic for people who don't even like the figures offered in the subs? I feel like Mattycollector wants us, the fans, to pay for their bad figure choices.

OK, I think I understand what you're saying. You want to pick the figures you want and not have to buy the figures you don't want. Fair enough.

I feel the same way about MOTU. At this point, I only buy the few figures that I want on sale day. If I miss them, I try the trade forum or eBay.

With DCUC, I'm getting a subscription because I don't want to miss any figures. In fact, I'm getting two subscriptions to help defray the shipping costs. I plan to offer the extra figures here and on eBay. Let me know if there's one you want! :D

On a side note, Mattel and BBTS have different business models. Mattel is a manufacturer, and BBTS is a retailer. They have different costs involved in running their business and therefore have different approaches to selling toys. I imagine Mattel is offering BBTS the same deal it's offering us.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:06 am 
We're going streaking!

The pre-order option is a nice idea, but Diamond Select has proven that this model has its' faults too. Just ask any Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica fan who has watched drawn out pre-orders get re-solicited and then eventually get cancelled, soon followed by the cancellation (or so-called "hiatus") of the entire line.

In some ways, I prefer the subscription model. Yes, you end up buying figures you don't want, but at least you know up front whether you are going to get the figures or not and an idea of when (usually within the calendar year).

But one model does not fit all!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:21 pm 
5th Horseman

This isn't a wake up call for the fans... It's a wake up call for Mattel. Stop this Dekker and King He-Man Bsh&$t and give us our big guns before the line dies. Glimmer, the rock people, two bad, Mantenna, Tung lashor, rio, horde troopers!

If they would have made Octavia the club exclusive, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next