Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sell me on CLUB BLACK FREIGHTER...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:41 am 
Cold-cast

What am I getting?

See, maybe I'm an idiot, but the "club" thing is kind of lost on me.

I'm paying $25 for membership but still pay full price (plus shipping) for the figures, the same figures I can buy on the site for the same price.

So a membership is, pretty much, a guarantee that you'll get a figure before they sell out? Just doesn't seem worth it but, then again, I may be a moron.

Post subject: Re: Sell me on CLUB BLACK FREIGHTER...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:15 pm 
ABS

spacemonkeymikey wrote:
What am I getting?

See, maybe I'm an idiot, but the "club" thing is kind of lost on me.

I'm paying $25 for membership but still pay full price (plus shipping) for the figures, the same figures I can buy on the site for the same price.

So a membership is, pretty much, a guarantee that you'll get a figure before they sell out? Just doesn't seem worth it but, then again, I may be a moron.

Technically you aren't paying anything for the membership other than a promise from you that you will buy all six $25 figures.

When you sign up for Club BlackFreighter, your credit card will be charged for $25 or so as a pre-authorization (just to test that the account is valid). This charge will drop off in a couple of days or weeks (it all depends on your bank/credit card company). Unlike Club Infinite Earths or Club Eternia that have a club exclusive, Club Black Freighter does not have a sub exclusive figure so there is no true membership fee. Since the pre-authorization disappears in a short time, you are not paying anything for the subscription. Then when the first figure comes around, you don't have to worry about sell-outs since your figure is guaranteed by the sub (assuming they don't have a repeat of the Fisto fiasco).

Last edited by BlackCanary on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:17 pm 
Cold-cast

OOOOOOHHHHHH...okay...

Tempted...I'd have to SEE them first, to be honest.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:23 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

And, if there aren't enough people who sign up for the sub, they won't make the figures at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:10 pm 
serves the Otter

spacemonkeymikey wrote:
OOOOOOHHHHHH...okay...

Tempted...I'd have to SEE them first, to be honest.

The first two figures, Dr. Manhattan and Rorshach, were on display at SDCC:

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/mattel/SDC ... mage68.asp
http://www.cooltoyreview.com/mattel/SDC ... mage69.asp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:05 pm 
shirtless hugger

I'm sold on Rorschach, but I do hope Manhattan's head gets bigger before he's finalized.

I'm definitely signing up for the sub. I'm not that worried about buying them sight unseen because they're 4H sculpts and the basic bucks are the same as used on DCUC - I have a pretty clear idea in my mind of what we'll see for Nite-Owl, Comedian, & Ozymandias. Silk Spectre is the only one that I'm not sure how the 4H will approach, but I think they'll do just fine.

If you want 'em at all, I'd definitely say go for the sub. We know they're 4H, we know what six figures we're getting, and you won't have to remember to be home every other month to order 'em.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:32 am 
Wonderdog

I dunno. Dr. Manhattan is not a dynamic enough character to make me we want all the articulation my excellently sculpted and painted DC Direct version doesn't already have. Also not too interested in the comic costumed Night Owl or Ozymandias in a dress.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:26 am 
Displays Backwards

I'll sell you on not signing up. We've only seen two figures that look okay but not worth $25. I don't like buying what I can't see. We don't know if any accessories are coming with them, do we? What are they doing to make these figures worth $25 plus shipping?

Only sign up if you are 100 percent sure you want all 6 of these figures - and you don't sound like you are.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:29 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Eh.. I want these! But I'll take my chances on eBay. I'll probably pay a bit more here and there for them but buying them on my own terms is a lot nicer than having to sign up for something. Who knows, I could be turned off if Silk Specter looks like a dog.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:20 am 
Resin

Because these are the first comic accurate Watchmen figures ever (and possibly the only). Plus they're better than anything DC Direct could put out.

Of course it won't matter if the sub doesn't go through...

TG weighs in on why they cost so much:

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve/fo ... 5851080767

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:53 am 
Cold-cast

Rorschach looks incredible.

Tempting...But $25 a pop is a bit much.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:14 am 
An Insider

Scare tactic or not, I'm not taking a chance that any of these may not go on sale on the site. Plus I consider these an essential part of my DC Universe collection and that is the only line I'm a completest with.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:22 pm 
Displays Backwards

BeeDub wrote:
Because these are the first comic accurate Watchmen figures ever (and possibly the only). Plus they're better than anything DC Direct could put out.

For some reasons, those answers don't in any way make me want to give Matty my money.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:28 pm 
5" Scale

BCYa wrote:
BeeDub wrote:

For some reasons, those answers don't in any way make me want to give Matty my money.

My sentiment exactly. I would have loved to see a JLU in this slot instead. Then we'd truly know if the JLU were willing to put up or shut up when it came to the line. Not to mention this just feels like a flash in the pan sub. Meaning it will only last 1 year and then they'll be throwing in another useless sub to replace it. I get what TG is saying, but this isn't my first rodeo with what he's saying to justify the cost. Matty, unlike that other company, is a bit bigger fish in the grand scheme of things. I agree with someone else's assessment. This is a bit to bite off having only seen a few figures in the line. Like VH, I'll buy on the secondary market if I see something I just can't live without. I'm not committing to this one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:33 pm 
5th Horseman

But buying on the secondary market means two things, even HIGHER costs, and the lack of assurance that we get the line at all!

I never argue with anyone who says "they can't afford it" for me thats the end of the argument. But when people are willing to pay a secondary market mark up and willing to hunt them down, all while they had the opportunity to purchase them at cost, I just scratch my head. I can't understand the logic.

And signing up for the sub assures Mattel that the sales are there in order to trigger production.

With Watchmen, you know who you are going to get. You're going to get the Watchmen! You either want them or you don't I can't imagine having just Ozymandas, and not Comedian. So the subscription here (as opposed to DCUC) is even MORE of a slam dunk. There isn't the fear of unexpected.

With the two images shown, it's clear there is more new tooling on this line than DCUC. Rorshach has a new head, new torso, and new hands. And Dr. M looks like a good reuse of parts. I imagine Night Owl will have a ton of new parts, as will Comedian and Ozzy. I can only imagine how great Silk Specter will look designed by the 4H.

I get all the trepidation around signing up for a Matty sub. I DO! But signing up assures not just you, but everyone involved that we get these figures. High tide raises all boats! or to quote Spock... The good of the many, outweigh the good of the one. ;-)