Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: JLU 7/16/12 the FIRST of the 6 LAST 3-packs.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:07 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

He was, just like Green Guardsman was supposed to be Alan Scott, the Streak was Jay Garrick, etc.

They still made those and they should have made Justice Guild Catman.

Crap, they should have made comics' Catman too. Would have been a repaint that made sense and would have sold a lot better than Disco Brainiac or Ryan Choi Atom.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:09 am 
Displays Backwards

darthmeks wrote:
Anybody on here own this bad boy??? I have Hourman but never could find this guy....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VHTF-SUPER-RARE ... 4605dca990

Meks

I bought one a few years ago from a seller in Brazil. It was still in its box, and it was less than $200.

I'm surprised this seller is asking so much for a loose Justice Lords Batman, especially one with so many scuffs.

It's the real figure, though. You can see the embossed bat logo on his chest from the original Justice League Batman.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:56 am 
serves the Otter

This is my response to the last set of comments that were sent my way. I put them in spoiler format because I realized that most of you have moved on and I don't want to drag the issue back into the forefront.

But still... there is something I want to say.

Spoiler: show
Dusty wrote:
Red Ricky... come on, let's all be nice, DB has an opinion about stuff (be it negative or not, we all have our quips with stuff) you don't like DB's posts... fine that's cool,

First of all, DB is not criticizing the figure. He is critizing the cartoon and the use of the character in the cartoon. Those kinds of rants belong in the Screen Scene forums. Bringing them here, to the purchase day thread, only accomplishes two things:

1. It takes the wind out of our sails.

2. It gives people on the fence reason to pause.

So like I said before... it's nothing personal. I'm just offering a counterpoint to his "opinions" and/or his talking people out of purchasing Mongul.
Dusty wrote:
[...]but I think it is one of those times where you probably should just let someone say what they want, as long as no offensive words and such are being said, :)

Nope, sorry!

People worked long and hard to make this figure a reality.

People on Mattel's end worked hard to get these last figures green lit.

And if that wasn't enough, they went the extra mile in order to make the last minute color correction that most of us wanted (you being the notable exception.)

Plus on our side, we too, have been working hard to make this figure a reality.

For more than a year now, people have been creating websites and facebook pages. People created art. We distributed flyers and adopted banners. We encouraged casual customers to help the line. We bought multiples. In other words, we walked the walk!!!

AGAIN... WE WALKED THE WALK!

We bought multiples of STRIPE. And we bought extra Parademons when they became available. We helped each other buy the Con-Exclusive 3-packs... the discounted 4-packs... and then... when it was time to buy the often requested Gypsy, we put our money where our mouth was and bought the expensive Seven Pack.

So, at the end of the day... every JLU-Fan who has ever posted a wish list or requested a figure knows (at least subconsciously) what it takes, to make that request a reality. They know it's a community effort and that, in order for one person to get what they want, others must sacrifice.

This sentiment appears to be lost on DB.

Without batting an eyelash, he has dismissed figures that appeal to a broad spectrum of fans (thus making them intrinsic to the line's continued existence); while not hesitating to request his precious Hippolyta. All in the same breath.

And while I agree that there is nothing wrong with buying what you want; I do feel it's highly egotistical to always push for what you want without sharing in on the heavy lifting that is required to keep the line afloat for others. Which, at the end of the day, boils down to making a purchase.

So like I said before... I'm not upset and it's not personal. I just feel it's wrong to dismiss a figure we worked so hard to get (like Mongul), while making a selfish request at the same time. It spits on the face of those who truly support the line; and on those who have unselfishly spent hundreds of dollars buying prototypes and sacrificing their time in order to make castings available for the benefit of our little community. In my humble opinion, his continuous screams for Hippolyta, are no longer funny. They are in fact a little bit disrespectful. Not because he is requesting a character he wants, but because his claims of support and sacrifice (when compared to others) is minimal at best. And yeah, maybe he means it as a joke. But maybe he doesn’t. And as his friend, maybe it’s time you let him know that his “me, me, me” personality rubs people the wrong way. That claiming he deserves a free Bat-Signal for his "support" of JLU, while admitting he passed (at retail) on a-very-cheap-very-easy-to-find figure like Zatanna will not endear him to others. Mostly... you know… because of the hypocrisy of it all (as opposed to his opinion on Zatanna's coat.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:06 pm 
Knows his stuff

DisneyBoy wrote:
I thought Catman was supposed to be Wildcat...?

That makes a whole lot of sense. I just assumed Batman.

I still wanted one to complete the Justice Guild. Oh well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:23 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Dusty wrote:
The_Donster wrote:
I think he's the last one I'm missing darth. I've actually considered asking someone here on the forum(I can't remember who?) to make me a custom of him for me. Hey Dusty, what's your thoughts on Mongul? Is he worth the cost or should I just wait and try and get him down the road? I ask someone else recently and agree this is my decision its worth, but I'm trying to see if others are having a hard time(like me) in justifying the cost :? The remaining 3 packs are no brainers and I'm up for them. This one is a bit harder though, especially when you factor in we used to pay a lot less for the 3 packs. Yes, retailers backed out and production is down compared to it, but I kind of feel like Matty is taking advantage of the fans nostalgia over this and their other lines. It would have been a easier pill to swallow if the cost was less and the customer service was better.

For sure Mattel is taking advantage... as for your main question though... I am sort of biased when it comes to Mongul, as I have wanted him for so long. But it is lame that he is the only new figure and costs 40 bucks, that is very hard to swallow. But since these are the last packs, and if you absolutely love JLU... and you have some spare cash, I'd buy him it. but if you are not really feeling that you want him all that much, I say don't buy him. I don't think he alone is worth 40 bucks (but since I am crazy and I also like the character so much I bought him.) I only plan on buying 2 other packs then I'm done for good.
Buy him if you want to have a complete JLU collection or really like the character.
Don't buy him if you don't care for him all that much, or you are not a completist.

Sorry if my answer was not helpful.

D.

Nope, you did good and gave me food for thought. If it is still available next week I'll pick it up when I renew my DCU sub. If he isn't there I'll be patient and wait to pick him up down the line. I love the character, it is the price that makes me apprehensive to picking him up. It would have been nice if they had done a 3 pack with him, Lashina and Jonah Hex. I think if they had done this, I'd be all over it. Hell, even if they had done Hex and Batman I'd be all over it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:59 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Fone Bone wrote:
When my Mongul comes I'm not going to open him and I'm going to put him aside. I plan to do the same for all six JLU packs. Then on Christmas I'm going to open them all at once as a last JLU bonanza. Anyone else gonna do this?

I collect with my daughter so for us this will be our last JLU christmas, she is 7 and has a fantastic collection and we have enjoyed every minute of the hunt and even though by the time we pay shipping and customs each of the last packs runs us to around $65 we would not miss a single one.

The 6 packs on christmas day are going to be awesome and the look on her face will be priceless, just got to hunt that fan made 7 pack and a few of the other rares that never made it too the UK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:26 pm 
5" Scale

Reads Red Ricky's post. Pauses. Thinks very carefully, because DisneyBoy is Fone Bone's good friend and the last thing he wants to do is seem like he's picking on him.

DB what guarantee do we have that you will even BUY Hippolyta if they make her? What if she is $50 and comes with two figures you already own? There is ALWAYS some excuse not to buy something especially something as trivial as an action figure/doll and I'm curious to see exactly where you drawn the line. I'm trying to see your side but you seem to be trying to talk people out of buying a highly demanded character. Am I missing something? Am I wrong? Help me out here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:48 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
The_Donster wrote:
Nope, you did good and gave me food for thought. If it is still available next week I'll pick it up when I renew my DCU sub. If he isn't there I'll be patient and wait to pick him up down the line. I love the character, it is the price that makes me apprehensive to picking him up. It would have been nice if they had done a 3 pack with him, Lashina and Jonah Hex. I think if they had done this, I'd be all over it. Hell, even if they had done Hex and Batman I'd be all over it.

Thanks, glad I could help, but now you mentioning Hex makes me wish the same thing, But again I am glad to be getting Mongul at all.... but fo shame Mattel fo shame... j/k ;)

D.

Fone Bone wrote:
Reads Red Ricky's post. Pauses. Thinks very carefully, because DisneyBoy is Fone Bone's good friend and the last thing he wants to do is seem like he's picking on him.

DB what guarantee do we have that you will even BUY Hippolyta if they make her? What if she is $50 and comes with two figures you already own? There is ALWAYS some excuse not to buy something especially something as trivial as an action figure/doll and I'm curious to see exactly where you drawn the line. I'm trying to see your side but you seem to be trying to talk people out of buying a highly demanded character. Am I missing something? Am I wrong? Help me out here.

I see where Red Ricky and you and others are coming from but what will this accomplish? I mean DB seems to have made up his mind on JLU, sure I don't exactly support complaining about stuff that Mattel was cool enough to do for us and other stuff mentioned in Red Ricky's post. But I think the topic might not turn out so well if we keep commenting about how much we dislike this person's or that person's post. This again is where one should just say "Eh, forget it, You have YOUR opinion that makes no sense to me, but I cannot change it, so I'll just move on."

Because at the end of the day, it isn't a big deal when someone disagrees with you or has negative comments about toys and such. Sure it probably isn't the best thing to do, but if that is what that person believes, there really is nothing you can do... you end up just sitting there and arguing for hours or days on end. Again I think it will do nothing, except probably just cause more frustration.

Not trying to keep anything negative going or cause anything else negative. I just think we should let it go and continue with the main subject. :) (All of this is just my opinion anyway... so feel free to ignore me, as I sort of feel 97% my post was probably alot of senseless rambling, lol ;) )

D.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:05 pm 
5" Scale

Dusty wrote:
I see where Red Ricky and you and others are coming from but what will this accomplish? I mean DB seems to have made up his mind on JLU, sure I don't exactly support complaining about stuff that Mattel was cool enough to do for us and other stuff mentioned in Red Ricky's post. But I think the topic might not turn out so well if we keep commenting about how much we dislike this person's or that person's post. This again is where one should just say "Eh, forget it, You have YOUR opinion that makes no sense to me, but I cannot change it, so I'll just move on."

Because at the end of the day, it isn't a big deal when someone disagrees with you or has negative comments about toys and such. Sure it probably isn't the best thing to do, but if that is what that person believes, there really is nothing you can do... you end up just sitting there and arguing for hours or days on end. Again I think it will do nothing, except probably just cause more frustration.

Not trying to keep anything negative going or cause anything else negative. I just think we should let it go and continue with the main subject. :) (All of this is just my opinion anyway... so feel free to ignore me, as I sort of feel 97% my post was probably alot of senseless rambling, lol ;) )

D.

I think a good debate is healthy and this is one worth having. I can't speak for Red Ricky but I really like DisneyBoy (we go way back). But I really question the way he's been acting in this thread at least. I sincerely hope he doesn't see that as a personal knock at him. I'm just asking him to take a unobjective look at how he may be coming across to others. I know DisneyBoy so what he's saying doesn't really bother me too much but I think what Red Ricky is saying is a legitimate complaint.

For the record, I know DisneyBoy would never intentially try to anger someone or push someone else's buttons. But speaking as someone with Asperger's Syndrome I know full well that I personally can come across as insensitive to others and I would want my friends to tell me if that was the case. I hope DisneyBoy feels the same way.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:31 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Fone Bone wrote:
I think a good debate is healthy and this is one worth having. I can't speak for Red Ricky but I really like DisneyBoy (we go way back). But I really question the way he's been acting in this thread at least. I sincerely hope he doesn't see that as a personal knock at him. I'm just asking him to take a unobjective look at how he may be coming across to others. I know DisneyBoy so what he's saying doesn't really bother me too much but I think what Red Ricky is saying is a legitimate complaint.

For the record, I know DisneyBoy would never intentially try to anger someone or push someone else's buttons. But speaking as someone with Asperger's Syndrome I know full well that I personally can come across as insensitive to others and I would want my friends to tell me if that was the case. I hope DisneyBoy feels the same way.

No problem man, yeah debate is good as long as no one goes home angry or upset, ;) ...
and Dude! you have known me since back in the day at TZ! same with Disneyboy (we may not go out for drinks and what not,) but come on! I thought I was atleast .001% cool enough to be considered an old-ish aquiantance/guy you knew as well. I have been bothering and annoying people online for a long time now, I was hoping to get a mention somehow. lol, j/k with ya, ;)

D.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:06 am 
5" Scale

Dusty wrote:
Fone Bone wrote:

No problem man, yeah debate is good as long as no one goes home angry or upset, ;) ...
and Dude! you have known me since back in the day at TZ! same with Disneyboy (we may not go out for drinks and what not,) but come on! I thought I was atleast .001% cool enough to be considered an old-ish aquiantance/guy you knew as well. I have been bothering and annoying people online for a long time now, I was hoping to get a mention somehow. lol, j/k with ya, ;)

D.

You're the same Dusty from Toon Zone? Hi! Waves. Sweet!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:36 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

What a surprise an argument in a JLU thread.

DB is doing nothing prolly everyone in this thread has done at some point in time, complain about a figure or complain they didn't get a figure. If I had a quarter for every time someone whined about Toyman for the last 3-4 years I'd easily be able to buy DB his own Mongul pack. He has just as much right to his opinion as anyone else and nearly ALL of us have complained at some point.

Posting a PM? Is that allowed here? Most boards I have seen really frown upon that. That is bad form imo and the whole reason for a "Private Message". Not very cool at all.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:14 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Got my Mongul yesterday- one pack down- 4 to go before I get to Firefly..

Personally I think you can tell they started to cheap out-- (not necessarily the figure- since Mongul can actually stand on his own)-And I am happy with him.

But the JLU stand that comes for WW-- the peg actually bent when I put WW on it-- its bad enough that these figures lean on their own-- even worse when they lean after putting them on a stand..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:25 am 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Fone Bone wrote:

That last paragraph pretty much sums it up for me. I've seen it in the past with the AA/DST Trek line and various other lines in the past. Fans clamor for a figure, someone finances it as an exclusive and the fans are no where to be found. I've already said it, but I'll say it again. It is the price point that is making me cautious. That and Matty has a tendency to pull something down right before another sale. So you can't save on shipping by buying multiple things. I guess its a good business plan and I wouldn't get as pissed as I do about it if the figures didn't say sold out, only to show up down the road. Instead of sold out, why not "currently unavailable"? Hopefully Mongul will be available when I have a little extra cash or re-up for the 13 DCU sub. If he isn't, I'll pick him up down the road.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:10 am 
shirtless hugger

:shock:

Ooookay. :) I was going to PM Red Ricky since I don't want to derail this thread, but since others have joined in to voice some....concerns about the issues he's brought up, I'll post it here instead.

I have never, nor would I ever, take (waste?) the time out of my day to try and convince someone not to buy an action figure. I'm pretty sure I never said "NO ONE SHOULD BUY MONGUL!111!" anywhere...because, that's not how I feel. I did say "I was on the fence about this figure for a while and decided not to purchase him in the end because I have no especially strong love for the character." That's just me sharing with you guys that I didn't buy him, but think he's cool. Problem?

Again: I think this figure looks very cool, but I'm still not buying him because I don't especially care about the character. Everyone still with me? Okay.

Red Ricky, I don't know you personally. I assume you're a swell guy. I do feel like you've gotten a little swept up in some kind of bizarre JLU Hysteria though - there's this "you're either with us or you're against us!!11!" tone coming through that...I don't understand.

You've put an awful lot of words in my mouth in that last post - when have I ever talked of "sacrifice" ?? - and seem to want to see me as some grubby, selfish jerk.

*shrugs*

Would it make any difference to tell you that I'm not? I'm really not. But if you've decided I am, that's okay. Just ignore my posts or something I guess...?

I come here because I like to talk about the toys, keep abreast of developments and I enjoy being part of the community. But I don't believe it should be a place where anyone should be mauled for not committing to buy every single figure. That's absurd! And while I was about to sit here and try to figure out and explain what level of commitment I have to the line...I'm not going too :lol:

That's....crazy!

This has gotten really out-of-hand. That bat-signal joke - yup, a joke! - I made was probably the first time I've ever said "Mattel should give me BLANK for free!" And you're citing it as an example of my deeply-rooted greed? I've seen folks write that kind of stuff on a weekly basis when complaining. I don't take it seriously! I also don't write it, even as a joke, because I wouldn't others to mistake the kind of guy I am. You were just waiting for me to slip up, weren't ya 8)

There's probably a terrific gif somewhere that I could just paste to sum up my reaction to all this, but nothing's coming to mind at the moment, and I really don't want to derail the thread any more than it has.

I've never pried into anyone's purchasing habits, and despite previous times when I thought you've gotten a little overzealous Ricky, I've kept it to myself and figured maybe you were just...I don't know, having a day or something :) You love collecting JLU. I enjoy it too. So...do we have to be at odds?

I'm very sorry to this community if I've upset anyone. I already said that my thoughts on the episode were probably best suited to an episode talkback thread...

So... *shrugs*

Quote:

Honestly Fone, I think the only thing that got me to reply was that you were wondering if I'm trying to talk people out of buying something. I really respect ya and I think you're a smart guy: do you really think I was doing that?

And IF Mattel were to release a Hippolyta and sell her for 100$ plus 50$ international shipping...and I chose not to buy her, and THEN dared to post here on these boards that I didn't chose to get her...would that make me a fink?

I'm not upset with anyone here :lol: I'm actually gotten some laughs out of this. I like all of you (most of the time!) and think we should really calm down, sip a nice cool drink, maybe take a dip in the pool and avoid the temptation to become some scary group of individuals.

Last thought - I LOVED the Save the JLU campaign and really respect the heck out of the people who took the time to make those images. Said that before, saying it again!

I'd rather no one PM me about this, just so we can stay on-topic and close the chapter, but if ya REALLY find yourself needing to share something, that's what my PM box is for.

DB

(waves to Fone and Dusty in the super secret Toonzone way!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next